Author Topic: Sichuan Hotpot  (Read 4283 times)

brett

Sichuan Hotpot
« on: September 23, 2009, 08:12:16 am »
OK guys, now I am getting worried. I told my girl I like hotpot.

How hot is Sichuan Hotpot? Has anyone tried it? What if my prospective mother in law cooks it?

I mean, seriously, have you seen a hotpot? It seems to be mostly chillies floating in a bowl of chilli oil:

:@

brett

RE: Sichuan Hotpot
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 08:22:37 am »
It looks like something Qingqing would order :angel:.

David5o

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 08:26:47 am »
Brett,

To be perfectly blunt, ... it's Bloody hot (spicy) and if your anything like me ...throat burning!!

I don't and can't eat hot or over spiced food, they have never agreed with me, and also the fact that i just don't like them.
I have always preferred to be able to taste what i'm eating, if it's chicken i want to be able to taste chicken, if it's beef, that's what i want to taste too. With all this Chilly and curry and other hot spices, that's ALL you can taste, they could be giving you cat or dog, you wouldn't know because you cant taste anything but the spice's. Well,  ...that's how and why the use of hot spices came about, ...to disguise bad and or rotten meat and veg.

All those that like this stuff, your more than welcome to it, I'll stick to being able to taste what i'm eating!!  hahaha!!

David...

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 08:44:27 am »
Okay guys, calm down, there are many types of hot pot, not all are hot, some have a divider down the middle, on one side it's spicy and the other side is not, you just have to be carefull when ordering.
Now I have never been able to find a non-spicy hot pot in Sichuan, I think its one of the few that could peel the paint of a car, but I love it.
Brett, take plenty of Tumes with you, you'll need them.
Mike
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 06:16:04 pm »
If I could get genuine, fiery, mouth numbing Sichuan hot-pot here....I would have it for 3 meals a day !!!!....Yummmmmmm !!

But it is not as hot as Bulgogi....Korean fire beef....more Yummmmm

DavidE
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 06:17:12 pm by David E »

shaun

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 06:51:07 pm »
Quote from: 'David E' pid='17800' dateline='1253744164'

If I could get genuine, fiery, mouth numbing Sichuan hot-pot here....I would have it for 3 meals a day !!!!....Yummmmmmm !!

DavidE

David,

You got that right about Bulgogi.  It is marvelous.  Can't say I have ever tried Sichuan hot-pot but am willing to give it a go.

Shaun

Offline heckerd

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:12:20 pm »
Its great. If you cannot eat spicy order yin yang hotpot which will give you a spicy and non spicy sides. Its actually not spicy at all since you dip the food in the bowl of sauce in front of you after taking it out of the pot. The bowl of sauce cools the food down and add some more flavours to the food. I can eat spicy food without a problem so its might not be spicy to me.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 07:34:30 pm »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='17801' dateline='1253746267'

Quote from: 'David E' pid='17800' dateline='1253744164'

DavidE

David,

You got that right about Bulgogi.  It is marvelous.  Can't say I have ever tried Sichuan hot-pot but am willing to give it a go.

Shaun

Shaun
If you like Bulgogi....you will LOVE hot-pot :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

DavidE

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 08:43:17 pm »
I love spicy food  hhhmmmm  That hotpot looks scrumptious

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 08:45:08 pm »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='17818' dateline='1253752997'

I love spicy food  hhhmmmm  That hotpot looks scrumptious

You are therefore in for a REAL treat mate ....hot woman, hot food...paradise :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

David

David5o

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 07:47:42 am »
I second that, about Korean food, I've worked many time's with Korean contractors on projects in Asia and the Middle East. I know that i don't like hot spicy foods but i'm always willing to try something ONCE!! The dish i remember most about Korean food is Kimchi, fermented pickled cabbage. God does it stink, and tastes just as bad too. The Koreans eat this stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Believe me when i say, ...you cannot get too close to Koreans after a meal. They literary stink of this Kimchi, it's so strong it oozes out of there pores, as well as there breath. Almost everything I've tasted of Korean dishes is mega hot, very similar to Thai Dishes.

There is a green paste that the Koreans are particularly keen on, They often mix it with soy sauce on the table ...i tried this paste (which they call green mustard) it killed every taste bud i have, i couldn't taste another thing after trying this green paste on a king prawn, Never Again, ...absolutly Never Again!!  hahaha!!!

David....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:45:18 am by David5o »

brett

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 08:05:01 am »
Korean food is hot. Perhaps the green paste is similar to Japanese wasabi? I can't get enough of that stuff!

I have been upping the number of chillis I cook with, but somehow I don't think anything can prepare me for authentic Sichuan cooking:@.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 08:06:12 am »
I agree with David, I have never tasted anything that I liked about Korean Food.  My wife has a paste that she likes and had me try it, my god, i had to spit it out.  Here in China they have Korean BBQ restaurants, but that is just a name, they do havea few Korean dishes but mostly usual fare.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 08:30:01 am »
Sichuan food is hot...so is Hunan food.  Just a heads up to any brothers heading over there.  It is damn tasty though!

David5o

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 09:57:20 am »
I just don't understand, how anyone can honestly call hot spicy dishes, ..Tasty!!

You can only taste whats making them hot, the rest of the ingredients are just textures, certainly no taste to them. Even if you can recognise them, there flavour has been eradicated by the hot spices, which was the original whole idea, of the use of Hot spices. To totally hide the taste of the food!!!  ...hahaha!!

David....