Author Topic: Teaching English In China {China Shark's Thread}  (Read 9606 times)

Scottish_Rob

Re: Teaching English In China {China Shark's Thread}
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 09:50:29 am »
Hi mike thought I would update you a little about me trying for work in Qingdao, as I had said before the job I was asked to apply for I did not do it, I thought it may have been too far from Kathy (who now wants to be called Ke REn (another story hehe))  Anyway I sent off 5 or 6 emails last night and got a reply this morning for a university in Qingdao, starting in March 2010, so I have asked to be given details etc.  So because of your posts about teaching, I would like to say, thank you.  If it was not for you (really) I would not have decided to give it a go.  So thanks Mike hope you are still enjoying your time there, and I look forward too maybe getting your email address or getting in touch when I come through....Rob

Offline Ed W

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 12:49:27 am »
I've begun sending out inquiries about teaching jobs in changchun. It's a long story how this has come about but obtaining new employment has not been so favorable in my area and short of having a way to remain here and make my bills, I've now entertained going to China and live with my wife and teach until I can get something here in the states again.

My girls are not happy about it in the slightest but at least making some money is better than living in a box making no money.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Ed W

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:07:17 am »
Network Engineer for a datacenter colocation, much like what Ronan does I believe.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Ricky

RE: Teaching English In China {China Shark's Thread}
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 09:20:23 am »
So we know of Buckland Group.  Is there any other groups that do placement?  I am particularly looking to stay in Shenzhen, but I dont' trust my own ability to get all the paperwork I need to get done, well...done.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:21:03 am by Ricky »

Offline China Shark

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 09:32:59 am »
Ricky check out Shenzhenparty.com That is where I picked up two of my three jobs in Shenzhen. Best suggestion is to come here to visit your girl and do all the leg work while she is at work. There are many people who will place you yet you have to be careful on who you trust here. You are the outsider and naive in the ways of the Chinese grifter. I've heard many stories of people taking jobs and working for a month and never getting paid and the local govt could care less. Best bet is to make connections while you're here and plan it from there. You are here until the 9th so you still have a week to lay groundwork before you come back possibly for good. This thing takes commitment and determination. If you want to do it there is more than enough opportunity here in Shenzhen.
China Shark Mike
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline Philip

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 04:13:48 am »
Hi China Shark Mike,
I have an interesting request. One of the lovely translators I made friends with on my visit to the Mei Yin agency in Changsha is looking for translator or teaching work in Shenzen later this year. Her English is very good. I wonder if you could suggest possibilities for teaching work. She even said to me that she could be your teaching assistant! I said I would ask you for advice. She is a fantastic person as well as a great communicator. I don't know what influence you have, but any suggestions would be gratefully received. I am in contact with her via QQ. She is 23 and has a very sunny personality. Sounds like I'm trying to set you up for a date, doesn't it? She IS single. Haha
Thanks,
Alex

Offline China Shark

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2009, 11:37:54 am »
Alex send me a private email and then you can pass it on to her. To be honest I am not sure what I can do you I can send out feelers and see if any of my contacts can help her. There is tons of work availible yet the pay for a bilingual is low compared to what they pay me. Would have posted my email on here yet lately there are too many flakes anymore.

Shark

shaun

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 09:31:41 am »
Mike, I am considering teaching in Changsha.  You mentioned that you make about 16000 monthly, I am assuming RMB, correct?  You also say between three schools.  Approximately, how many hours per week do you commit to this?   Keep posting, the more you share about your experience the more we can learn and hopefully make a quality decision.  

Thanks, Shaun

Offline China Shark

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 09:23:47 pm »
Shaun that 16,000 was an estimate of future earnings. A few jobs did not come through because the one school isn't as reliable as I'de prefer. Currently I make 450 rmbs from the small new school for teaching three one hour classes. Regular job is teaching 20 forty minute classes 2,000 rmbs, and the new class I am starting up is a six hour class for 600 rmbs. So I am working 24 classes for 12,200 rmbs a month. I should be picking up more work soon so it will just get better the longer I am here and the more contacts I make. It isn't so much about money as it is about just being content working a job where I am actually respected. The work is here if you are smart and resourceful. I recently just really became lucky by finding a new school that is just starting out, hence higher pay and choices of classes I want to teach in the future. If you are a hardworker you can earn a lot of money here.
China Shark Mike

Offline Ricky

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 05:23:24 pm »
I agree with you Mike.  I contacted buckland just the other day and am probably going to start up with them.  I figure that is the best place to get my foot in the door and get some experience before I attempt to freelance it out in Shenzhen, if by that time, I decide to stay there.  Gunning for Guanxi or Hainan for my first assignments

Offline China Shark

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 01:28:25 am »
Well, school will let out for 2 months until September so I am free lancing my teaching throughout Nashan and Shenzhen. Funny thing was that I was worried that I would not have enough work and now I am worried that I'll have more work than I could possibly handle. I currently work for a private bloarding middle school, a big and a small training school. Now that I've been teaching a good solid four months my confidence and ability have improved dramatically. Guys that are contemplating this please really look into yourself and try to evaluate first what kind of personality you possess, how energentic and creative you could be with different age groups and different levels. Can you entertain a child as well as cultured adults. These are all questions I failed to ask myself for the simple fact that I went out of the frying pan into the fire just out of necessessity. I would not suggest taking moving to China lightly. Joshua has the right idea, plotting and planning and socking away money to live on prior to actually obtaining the work here. The rewards are amazing, students respect and treat you like one of thier family. I have to say I really will miss them during my summer time off. Funny thing was I was dependent on over the counter sleep aids for years yet my stress free life here has eliminated that need. Hoping to save money for a nice trip back to the states in October or November to take care of a few things. After that trip I don't think I'll travel back for years at a time. Found my place in life so I'm here to stay for at least a little while. If any of the brothers need help with establishing a teaching carreer just let me know and I'll see if I can help out. The thing about finding work is being at the right place at the right time, making good contacts and just be willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Right now I'm still very green so I'm learning new and interesting things each day to help me become a better teacher. Last night I implimented using our cell phones in class to get my beginner level class to speak and come up with thier own ideas for conservation. Worked like a charm so now I have one more thing for my lesson plans in the future. One other thing is that this job isn't as easy as I make it out to be. Some classes drain the friggen life out of you. Sometimes the students level is below the actual level the class is, in elementary school discipline is always an issue, sometimes basic teaching is dry and boring. A good teacher is one who can take something boring and make it fun. There is a saying in English class, leave your face behind. The Chinese are intimidated about speaking for fear of making a mistake and losing face. In class I remind them that I only speak one language and they speak two. It gives them encouragement to try to speak. Once you gain thier trust they will do anything to please the teacher. Well, I guess that as much as a rant as I feel like writing today, do I hear a sigh of relieve from the brotherhood, lmao.

Arnold

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 05:52:25 pm »
Ahhh .... peace and quiet for a few day's .:sleepy:

But to tell you the truth Michael , we wouldn't be what we are today without you . I think everyone has his special to give here and it makes it a " Whole " . It's better to have you Ranting here with us , then ... having you rant elsewhere over us . :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Joshua Smith

• Eastern Scorpion
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »
My ears are burning...so to speak lol I see my name in that novel Michael wrote a few days ago. He's right, I put an end to searching for a job in China long-distance. I'm planning on living there first and then looking for work. With the help of my girlfriend and her friends, I may be able to locate a job. If not, I'll seek help from Michael but only as a last resort. I wouldn't want to impose on his privacy. Anyway, I'm talking to my girl on QQ right now so I can't really focus on this. Laters guys. :icon_biggrin:
"I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am."   ~ Homer Simpson ~
"Everything is something."   ~ Marge Simpson ~

Offline China Shark

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2009, 01:45:25 am »
Guys it the Shark here once again adding a volumious chapter to his ongoing saga. Today is very sedate, school let out Friday for two months and I'm taking it easy for at least a few days before start getting back into teaching. I just received an email today with an incredible teaching offer. I interviewed with this woman Eva about 3 months or so ago and turned down her offer to teach kindegarten. I had completely forgotten about her for several reasons, first is that the offer was not really that attractive compared to what I am already getting, second is I did not get a feeling of trust or fairness with her. But now her offer has gotten quantum leaps better and I should now consider it for two reasons. First reason is that it will start asap so I will be back to full salary immediately and not scraping by with only part time work for two months. My only concern now is if she is worth trusting with a months pay. She works for an agency and some of them can be pretty shady. Yet on the other hand if I take the job her agency gets 1,000 rmbs out of my 12,000 rmbs I make each month, so her incentive would be to fly straight to insure her agency gets the monthly fee. Also, the job has all the perks the real teaching jobs have here. Paid vacation, paid roundtrip airfare after 1 year completion of the contract, some many things I do not get with my present job. The practical side of me is telling me to jump at this great opportunity and the more conservative side is say to tread carefully in uncharted territory. What do you guys think? I am thinking of doing the demostration class and accepting the job and try it out and if I like it I will stay permanently on. One of the drawbacks will be leaving a comfortable safe work place yet the long term benefits will surely outweigh these factors. Damm there are too many viable choices here. Funny thing it is the complete opposite back in the states. Truly found my calling in life now all I need to do is to find the women of my dreams to complete the picture.
China Shark Mike

Offline stuart barlow

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2009, 03:39:06 am »
Can't help you with the women side of things,but you've stepped into uncharted waters when you first moved to china,and that's worked wonders for you.So whilst your on a roll,go for it,( have a back up plan just in case)keep us informed on your developments.