Author Topic: Teaching English In China {China Shark's Thread}  (Read 9607 times)

Offline China Shark

Teaching English In China {China Shark's Thread}
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:53:59 am »
Well, guys I know I am repeating myself yet felt this site needed a thread dedicated to those teaching here and those also aspiring to teach here. Reason why I feel it is needed is because there is a lot of information out there that is misleading, false, subjective or unsubstanstiated. First off number one is you do not necessarily need toefl certification to teach in China. Reason why so many people believe this is because it is big business to sell people this at sometimes a thousand dollars for a six month course. I never took any of those courses and have taught in Japan in 93-94 and have taught in private schools as well as public in China. What you need is to be a native speaker of English with a high school education. Most schools prefer female first, then Americans or Canadians. If you have a very strong accent like from England, Australia or Ireland you could possibly run into some difficulties along the way. Best bet is to secure a job prior to coming over. The company I recommend is Buckland Group, I started out with them yet left to live with my girl in her city, Shenzhen. Another thing come into the country on a tourist visa and have your employer arrange for you to acquire the permanent resident permit in your passport. Guys that know me on here with validate my claims of really possessing one. My situation didn't pan out so living here is my contigency plan. If I didn't do it this way I'de really be screwed. It takes nerves of steel to do this route yet it was the smartest thing I've ever done in my life. I love my life here and teaching is so rewarding you cannot imagine. Yes, soon I will get my toefl creditials for the really good teaching jobs in my future. One day I'de like to teach for big money in Hong Kong. If you think you got what it takes just do it. Good luck to all those aspiring new teachers out there.
China Shark Michael :mrgreen:
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline jimbert

Re: Teaching English In China {China Shark's Thread}
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:20:43 am »
do you meet other american teachers?
+ my mom and my chinese girlfriend agree  i'm hot +

Offline China Shark

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:15:17 am »
Depends on what type of school you work in. If you work in a private international you probably see a dozen a day in the offices. When I taught in public high school I did not see one other foreigner in Guangzhou at all small town 65,000. I currently teach all six classes each of grade 1, 4, and 6. I see the other teachers at a distance but never actually met them yet. It is a hard question to answer because each school has thier own protocoll. I imagine you probably won't run into other expatriots other than on the streets or in clubs. There are so many places to actually meet other teachers here. Just type in the name of your city you are teaching in and wala the expatriots are massive partiers here in Shenzhen.
China Shark  Michael :mrgreen:

Offline China Shark

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 08:18:15 am »
Sorry guys I've moved around so much here I put Guangzhou instead of Yongzhou.
Shark :mrgreen:

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:17:15 am »
Michael, i'm putting this into the useful links and articles forum, i figure many people will have an interest in this for sure.
Thanks for posting.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:41:27 pm »
Man thanks shark! I was really looking into this. I was going to go and start a tefl program but im trying to save my money to go see Le. I will check out the company you suggested.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 02:16:27 am »
I'm strongly considering doing this through the Buckland group. However, I have never traveled outside the US, so I have no idea what I would be getting into. At one level, it's intriguing. At the same time, it seems like a big leap of faith that I'd be able to survive there for very long. The idea of moving to a place where I may not be able to communicate with anyone without help is daunting. In some ways I'd feel like I was living on the moon. (I'm not sure why an image of Capt. Kirk seducing green women came to mind, but oh well.)

I can google "living in China" and be able to prepare a little bit, like what to bring, etc. But realistically, what big changes in mindset/attitude/culture would I have to adjust to? I have lived most of my life in the Southeast... with a little time in Flushing, NY (little Chinatown) also.
And when I get excited my little China girl says, "Oh baby just you shut your mouth."

don

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:13:00 am »
Ok mike, you have me curious now.  Tell me about the fact that they don't have toilets there?  you have to crap in the shower?
I don't suppose they have toilet paper ether huh? :shock:
Don

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:46:25 pm »
(Maybe a mod needs to move this to another topic, as it looks like I may have unintentionally hijacked this one.)

I have no firsthand knowledge of China, and a minimal amount of reliable second hand knowledge. I'll look around on Facebook and try to catch up before asking questions that sprang to mind about regional differences- I wasn't aware of its existence. Maybe there should be a link in the newbie section?
And when I get excited my little China girl says, "Oh baby just you shut your mouth."

Offline China Shark

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:03:05 pm »
It's cool Chris we were all there at one point in this thing of ours. Are you inquiring about English teaching or just unsure about where to post. Best suggestion is listen to the ones that are truly experienced here. Maxx, Max, Arnold, Vince, Ronan are guys that been here and lived to tell tales of a different world are the ones to listen to. Being a newbie you should be reading all three forums and gleaning anything you can. Do not just read forums either because they are filled with conjecture and misinformation much of the times. My only salvation was living and breathing this thing for months on end before I moved here. Check out Candlelove and other reputable government sites that explain everything that entails marrying a  Chinese women. If you listen to the experienced ones you'll get through this thing with a beautiful loving bride for keeps. I'm not sure how much credibility I have anymore since my relationship went south. One thing I know is I plan on staying here maybe for good so I can savor all that China has to offer me. Even when life is not great here it is a hell of a lot better than in the states. Good luck and hope things work out with whoever you meet.
China Shark Michael :mrgreen:

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:31:56 pm »
I am interested in learning more about teaching overseas, and about life over there in general. I posted here because you have first hand knowledge of both, and the topic kinda drifted away from teaching. So I should probably create a new one once I have specific questions to ask. Until then I'll just ask questions about teaching in here. I am a little concerned about some of the horror stories I've read on the net about people being promised teaching jobs only to find out when they arrive that it's some guy running a "school" out of his apartment.

I'll take a look at Candlelove... I'm not usually one to combine "reputable" and "government" in the same sentence, but I'll see what I can find. I'm pretty much caught up on the 3 forums. Certain aspects of them are good, but a lot of the discussions are premised on having the woman leave China. I'm leaning toward the other direction, so those posts aren't entirely meaningful.

I wouldn't worry about your credibility- IMHO people always learn more from mistakes than successes. I hope things turn around for you.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline China Shark

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:34:01 am »
Chris contact Ping at Buckland Group about teaching for them. After you look through thier site narrow your search for women around the areas Buckland contracts with. Buckland has been around for ten years and is bonded from the government so you will always get paid. Only reason I left them was because I couldn't find a school close enough to Shenzhen so I ventured out on my own. Now I work for a private boarding middle school and work at another private school with 5 branches around Shenzhen. Between the two I should bring in around 16,000 a month, hell that is good money in America. Most reputable employers will square you away with your permanent resident permit. Buckland got me mine in three weeks time. The permit is good for one year. If you have the nerve it is the adventure of a lifetime. Not sure if I really want to move back to the states. Love my job and my students, I'm making a meaningful contributions to young peoples lives. Everyday I assimilate more of the culture. Living here will guarentee success in finding a good wife. Hell, now it is really hard because there are too many beautiful to choose from. Over here you are a rock star if you are a foreigner. Went into a clothing store and I became the center of attention from all the twenty year old girls and I'm 46. Best decision I ever made in my life.
China Shark  Michael :mrgreen:

Offline jimbert

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 01:45:57 am »
watch out that attention makes jerks out of guys or do you have nothing to worry about that? :P
+ my mom and my chinese girlfriend agree  i'm hot +

Martin

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 08:32:55 pm »
Michael...I am so jealous of you being there...lucky guy!  Keep the flow of information coming.

Arnold

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 10:43:28 pm »
Quote from: "Martin"
Michael...I am so jealous of you being there...lucky guy!  

Nah ... I like waiting for my Lady to come to me and I get to pick her up from the Airport , for a change . That will be another mark on the Calendar for as long as I live .