Author Topic: Need some ideas for Chengdu  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Hajo

Need some ideas for Chengdu
« on: October 24, 2009, 01:22:30 pm »
Hi guys,

On the 13th of November I follow my wife to Urumqi to bring her/our son home to Denmark. But we are planning to go to Chengdu for a week while I am there.

My question is, has anybody some suggestions what to see in Chengdu? Thanks in advance!

Well, I know I get to see a lot of restaurants, he he!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:23:20 pm by Hajo »
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
RE: Need some ideas for Chengdu
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:33:19 pm »
Hajo

The Panda Research Park is a must see in Chengdu...this is where the intense breeding programme is done...a cross between a Laboratory, a Zoo and a Tourist attraction...lots of stuff to see...including the nursery with dozens of little Pandas, which are very cute. the Old Pandas are not as appealing as the Tourist photos, but the whole place is quite something to see. The cost and scientific complexity to keep this iconic species alive and breeding is awesome !!!

Also visit the "Old" Chengdu City precinct which has been preserved much as it was 2000 years ago.

The Museum of Antiquity is also a good place to see, this is where they find evidence of Chinese civilisation going back to the Stone Age and it is wonderfully preserves with glass cover over many areas that you can walk on and look at the artifacts "in-situ" just as they were found.

The flower Market on fridays and Saturdays is a real fun thing to see...very busy, noisy, spectacular and filled with people having fun...in their own way...lots of noise, food and flowers of every type you could imagine.

The Chengdu "hot-pot" is famous food...much of Chengdu/Sichuan food is very spicy, but the hot -pot is only for those who can eat REAL hot food. Duck is also eaten a lot, with much difference in flavour than the more famous "Peking Duck" of Beijing...delicious !!!

Chengdu...great place, I enjoyed it a lot.

DavidE
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 04:36:23 pm by David E »

Offline Hajo

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:26:09 pm »
Thanks David,

That are some good ideas. I know about the meal being spicy, but that should be a minor problem. I love it hot. hehe.

I am looking forward to take a lot of pictures. Once again thanks for the suggestions.
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:25:17 pm »
There are several other parks around Chengdu, I suggest locating the tourist office and getting a Panda Card, it allows admission to many many parks for a cheap rate, also your lady can get in contact with many different agencies there to get you around with hotels for fairly cheap. My favorite park in Chengdu is still the Leshan Buddah, short bus ride outside of Chengdu. There is also a tea theater show that is very cool if you get the chance.

Shopping is very good around the downtown area, but expensive.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:26:25 pm by Jadams79 »
Can't fix stupid.

Offline davidaquincy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 11:27:29 am »
Another place to go to is near the large Buddha in Leshan. It is Mt Emei. That was my favorite part of the entire trip. We spent one day at the large buddha and the next day at Mt Emei. Total price for the girl I went to see and me was 800rmb. That included 3 meals 2days. Hotel for the night and bus ride and entering both areas. Now this was all chinese people in the tour and the girl I was with translated some of it too me. Very enjoyable time though!!

Hope you have a great time!!

Offline Hajo

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 12:16:36 pm »
Thanks you for your suggestions. I think that should be enough for a week :icon_biggrin:

brett

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 03:11:25 pm »
Hmm, I did not find Sichuan hotpot that hot really. But the pot noodle things you can buy in a supermarket, now they are hot!!! Wow, I only put a quarter of the hot packet mix in mine, but my lady used the whole lot.

I just wish someone would start a direct flight from Chengdu to the UK, it seems a perfect place for a hub to the rest of China.

Offline Hajo

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:41:04 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='21093' dateline='1256584285'

Hmm, I did not find Sichuan hotpot that hot really. But the pot noodle things you can buy in a supermarket, now they are hot!!! Wow, I only put a quarter of the hot packet mix in mine, but my lady used the whole lot.

I just wish someone would start a direct flight from Chengdu to the UK, it seems a perfect place for a hub to the rest of China.

Brett, if you wouldn't mind go to via Amsterdam. You can go directly to Chengdu from there. But I do not know how much trouble that would be from the UK.

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 03:18:09 am »
Was it Emei that had the monkeys???...... Almost got bit, until a 4' nothing chinese girl went kung fu on it with a bamboo pole... It might have been Emei i dont remember lol
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:22:08 am by Jadams79 »
Can't fix stupid.