Author Topic: What husband mean in Chinese character  (Read 10000 times)

Offline chen yan

• http://chenyan19851010.spaces.live.com/
What husband mean in Chinese character
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:36:30 am »
Do you know there are some interesting meaning behind the chinese character ?  

"Husband" in chinese call "  ??"(pronounce Zhang Fu)
"?“ is a unit of length,like a feet." ?" means man.
So "??" means a man who stay a feet away from you or a man who should be very close to you,Then he can protect and take care of you.

A divoreced woman ever told me about this,If your husband live away from you miles, than it is not a good sign.She divorce because she found her husband have affair in other city which he works.

"Marry" in Chinese call "?" (pronounce Jia)
"?" is combine of "?" and “?” .
“?” means girl. "?“means home.
So "?" means give a home to the girl.

3."good" in Chinese call"?“?pronounce Hao?
"?" is combine of "?" and “?” .
“?” means girl. "?“means boy.
So if you get brith a girl and a boy, it is very good !:icon_cheesygrin:
Love ,Joy ,Peace~

Offline Peter

RE: What husband mean in Chinese character
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 06:16:33 am »
Please Chen Yan
Give us more.. This is very interesting.. I think this is a big part of the culture in China even if I can not talk or read Mandarin yet and probably never will be able to read. I will have my wife as a teacher later I hope to learn enough to talk a little.

Peter
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

brett

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:17:50 am »
I've learnt about 60 characters now, and I am finding it easier to remember new ones. I can't yet remember how to write many of them, but I can read them.

My spoken Mandarin is ???? but my teacher thinks my pronunciation is quite good and it's better than some of the guys in the class. Remembering the words what I have most difficulty with, but it's partly due to the lack of time I have to study. I can recommend going to a Chinese class though, it's a great way to get started :icon_cheesygrin:.

shaun

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:55:14 am »
Chen Yan,

Do we call you Yan as a first name?  Thank you for the lesson in Mandarin.  I will try to draw the characters later and it pronunciation and place is where I can see it and learn it.  Please teach us more.

Shaun

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 02:35:42 pm »
Chen Ye,

When I was younger, my parents used a different word. They always say, X's Lao Po or Lao Gong which I understand to be wife/husband. Am I wrong? I still use that in my daily conversations.

Offline chen yan

• http://chenyan19851010.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:26:46 pm »
Quote from: 'RegnisTheGreat' pid='22452' dateline='1257795342'

Chen Ye,

When I was younger, my parents used a different word. They always say, X's Lao Po or Lao Gong which I understand to be wife/husband. Am I wrong? I still use that in my daily conversations.

You are right ,RegnisTheGreat. "Lao po" or "Lao Gong" is used in daily conversation. "Qi Zi" or "Zhang Fu" is used in formal occasion.
Love ,Joy ,Peace~

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:42:50 pm »
Quote from: 'chen yan' pid='22490' dateline='1257816406'

Chen Ye,

You are right ,RegnisTheGreat. "Lao po" or "Lao Gong" is used in daily conversation. "Qi Zi" or "Zhang Fu" is used in formal occasion.

Phew! I was worried. I only have a grade 3 education in Chinese :) So I miss a lot of the nuances of the language.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:53:19 pm »
So after two months of Chinese classes, 1 day(4.5hrs) each week, here's an example of why you always check your classwork for mistakes only to have it lead you down a more confusing path.

http://us.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqtm=0&wdqcham=1&wdqt=husband

Thankfully, my wife is more than happy to point out my error's in the language so I cant get away with being a complete moron. Just a minor mone. hehe.

I admit the hardest part is restructuring your sentences. for instance, if i were to ask, Does your husband arrive in the evening? I have to restructure it as "the evening arrive your husband". I'm not saying this is actually correct but I am pointing out the major confusion I have everyday trying to learn this language. Not to mention the difficulty in remembering the written part. In two months, we've learned about 50 or so different characters/words and I'd bet I can only remember 10 by sight. I told my teacher how frustrating it is to know I've seen it and learned it before but cant remember. She says not to worry since slow progress is still progress and is still good. Maybe she's just found a new way to say I'm just THAT THICK! LOL.

Anyone interested in learning this language I'd strongly suggest enrolling in a formal school if you have it available to you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:55:08 pm by Ed W »
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 03:12:57 pm »
i have been to Barnes and Noble i have three books now and a download for my i pod.  But teaching myself has been rough to say the least.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 04:56:35 pm »
Ed that's what I found confusing at the beginning when I started to learn the language, 'the structure'...Now i reastructure what I am going to say before i say it...:icon_biggrin:

rockycoon

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 06:21:36 pm »
Spanish is restructed also.  instead of saying it forwards like "get to work"  you would say "to work get"  other wise the mexicans
laugh at you....ha:icon_cheesygrin:  However, they do know the english meaning of "paycheck"

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 10:22:08 pm »
Quote from: 'chen yan' pid='22490' dateline='1257816406'

Chen Ye,

Haha, and just in the same vein, "Lao Wai" is foreigner, our old Prime Minister, is "Lao Lee"... you old rascal is "chou xiaozi" :icon_cheesygrin:
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 10:29:08 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='22429' dateline='1257772670'

I've learnt about 60 characters now, and I am finding it easier to remember new ones. I can't yet remember how to write many of them, but I can read them.

My spoken Mandarin is ???? but my teacher thinks my pronunciation is quite good and it's better than some of the guys in the class. Remembering the words what I have most difficulty with, but it's partly due to the lack of time I have to study. I can recommend going to a Chinese class though, it's a great way to get started :icon_cheesygrin:.

I hope that you are going to the same part of China that your teacher is from!   I have just spend time in Hunan which is only the next province and their pronounciation of words is completely different than in southern Guangdong.  

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 07:31:21 pm »
different dialects  different cities

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:24:28 am »
Now I better understand this sentence : "wo shi lao wai" :D
I've been exposed to some difficulties with the sentences to be restructured but I can understand, because sometimes, the meaning is not easy at all.
Well, I'm also going on studying on chinese, I can remember many character but difficult to write them back on a paper...except a few ones... :blush:
- Let's Rock -