Author Topic: General Thread For This and That!!....  (Read 135753 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: General Thread For This and That!!....
« Reply #855 on: March 28, 2012, 11:44:10 pm »
We in London have always called you guys Yanks regardless of which side your ancestors fought on. (I know most of you did not have ancestors in the Country until well after that).

I was bought up in WW2 and we used to say some girls wore American knickers - 'One 'yank' and there off'!  Another thing we complained of was the US GI's were 'Over paid, Over Sexed and worse were OVER HERE'! The list goes on and on.   They were here with there American Comics, tins of jam and everything else that made things easy for them.  What did we have,  well  rightly as David E said we had 'rationing' right into the 50's. You could not buy anything with your ration book.

But don't think I am having another dig at you guys we British, (not Brits or Limeys), left you with the framework of a good country its not your fault your predecessors (rather than ancestors) f..... it up.    ;D

Can anyone think of any bad thing that shaped the world or even become part of history in the now USA prior to our British ancestors leaving the country?

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline maxx

« Reply #856 on: March 29, 2012, 01:33:02 am »
Willy French and Brittish troops fought a war on American soil.For control over what is now Canada.The battle of Stone mountain Georgia,The Boston Tea party.The British fought a war with the colonists using German mercenaries.In the Northern war of aggression.British and French supplied arms and ships.To the southern Army.Probably prolonging the war for at least another year.

in WW 2 we also had food ration books.We had gas rationing.We suffered.Not as bad as Europe.after the war are economy recovered faster.Because there was very few WW 2 battels fought on American soil..We did pay allot of money to help Europe recover from WW 2 while also paying to help rebuild Japan.And China,The Philippines,And half a dozen island nations spread across the pacific.Have you ever heard of the lend lease act.If not look it up.I think it will suprise you.

Willy you may like to run the American down.If it hadn't ben for the Americans.There was a good chance that Merry old England would of be just a footnote in history.Kind of like the Romans.You know they came they saw they kicked some ass.Then they were crushed.

I tell you what go to the Philippines.Walk into any bar.And announce to the people that you are a American.And you came to see where your father died.You will spend hours in that bar.Without ever having to buy a drink.The next day walk into a different bar.Tell them your Brittish.Then run like hell before somebody grabs you and beats the stuffing out of you,You can do the same thing in India.And get the same results.

There is still people in the world.Who remember what America did for them.And what America did for there Ancestors.We may not always get it right.But we damn sure got it right.Allot more then the Brits ever did.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #857 on: March 29, 2012, 04:49:15 am »
Maxx Maxx Maxx

I will always call you Yanks. I am not a politically correct person.  Same as you insist on calling us Brits!!!!!!

You just do not understand what I am saying.  The English settlers canme from villages in the south west of England and settled in what is now Pennsylvania named after the v illage of one of the elders. Then for many many years nothing.   Then The French and English had a few skirmishes and General Wolfe scale the heights of Abraham suprised the French and now our Queen is still the figurehead. 

I was going to write a lot more but there is no point.

Willy

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:51:40 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #858 on: March 29, 2012, 06:56:22 am »
Wow, Have I started a war between the Brits and the Yanks ?  ::)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
  • Too Old for Instagram and Too Young for Life-Alert
« Reply #859 on: March 29, 2012, 07:09:24 am »
Anybody that lives north of Macon, Georgia is a Yankee! 8)

Vince G

« Reply #860 on: March 29, 2012, 10:06:59 am »
FYI your all partially correct. The name Yankee came from the Brits that's what they called us and while suppling the southerners they picked up on the name. btw I use Brit just as a shorted name, means the same.  :P

The British / French wars. Knowing the British had the arms and ships to overtake us we asked the French to help with the fighting in return they could have the land which was Canada and other parts of the country. Key names to look up are "Lafayette", "Benjamin Franklin". 

But I don't agree with the Philippine acclaim? I've always heard the opposite due to allot of banging and not from guns. Stationed Americans there intergraded the natives and then left for home leaving it all behind. This didn't go over so well. So walk into a bar and announce you're an American? Well you just have to run faster then the brit?

I can think of many that would disagree with the line being in Macon, Georgia? Though that is one place I made sure I wasn't anywhere near in the late 60's into the 70's. But maybe Robert knows better? he does Immigration.   :D

Offline shaun

« Reply #861 on: March 29, 2012, 12:32:42 pm »
Hmmm.......   And everybody who lives south of Macon is a redneck, especially if they drive a pick-up and work with concrete.  ;D

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #862 on: March 29, 2012, 12:35:23 pm »
AND I'm SCOTTISH.... ;D ;D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

• Board Moderator
« Reply #863 on: March 29, 2012, 12:39:46 pm »

But I don't agree with the Philippine acclaim? I've always heard the opposite due to allot of banging and not from guns. Stationed Americans there intergraded the natives and then left for home leaving it all behind. This didn't go over so well. So walk into a bar and announce you're an American? Well you just have to run faster then the brit?

I think anyone who gets out into the World will find that China is becoming the friend of the World and America and parts of Europe are losing their esteem fast.  The Chinese have many military personel quietly working with the UN.  Plus they have ships protecting shipping against the pirates off the African coast. They were first into Haiti and Japan after the problems there.  Whereas unfortunately in recent decades with the demise of the USSR, America is becoming known as the bully boy of the world with the backing of little Britain and others.  Gone is the diplomacy that they were skilled with. 

Robbie your British today.  Maybe tomorrow I make you Scottish again!!! ;D

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #864 on: March 29, 2012, 09:31:51 pm »
Hmmm.......   And everybody who lives south of Macon is a redneck, especially if they drive a pick-up and work with concrete.  ;D

Yes, a true redneck has 2 trucks, one for play and one for work! 8)

Offline Robertt S

• Georgia***Shandong
  • Administrator
« Reply #865 on: March 29, 2012, 09:49:36 pm »
When we get real bored we throw keggers and invite all the inlaws and outlaws! 8)

Brantley Gilbert - Kick It In The Sticks
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:57:36 pm by robertt snellgrove »

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #866 on: March 30, 2012, 12:07:22 pm »
WHAT HAVE I STARTED HERE ???, C,MON GUYS, I FEEL THAT I HAVE PUSHED THE BUTTON FOR WW3, I JUST WANTED US "OLDER GUYS" TO THINK OF OUR UP-BRINGING AND HAVE GOOD MEMORIES, WOW, WISH I NEVER POSTED THIS POST. WE ARE ALL THE SAME RACE, THE HUMAN RACE........

Arnold

« Reply #867 on: March 30, 2012, 03:53:26 pm »
Right John, we are all the same Human Race.. but we are seperated/devided by Greed/Power/Religion/Money.

Your Post is great and I wish more would do come forward and tell us about their Teen years ( unless it better stays covered ) good or bad. This is what this Thread is all about, as long it will not cause like you said WW3 among us Members and I'm sure it wont.
So don't feel quilty, you did a good thing.. during slow times at the Forum.

Offline maxx

« Reply #868 on: March 30, 2012, 08:52:36 pm »
John no worries Willy just called me a bad name :P.And I had to get back at him

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #869 on: March 31, 2012, 01:02:05 pm »
Maxx I'm sure you would have been called worse...lol ;D ;D And irt did not seem like a bad name to us Celts...lol
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill