Author Topic: General Thread For This and That!!....  (Read 135627 times)

Offline Scottish_Robbie

Re: General Thread For This and That!!....
« Reply #900 on: April 30, 2012, 06:57:48 am »
Maxx...That is true...NOTHING is ever as bad as people seem to think or look ;D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Vince G

« Reply #901 on: April 30, 2012, 08:59:02 am »
I've told these stories before. I take the media very little. I only believe half of what I read and see, the other half is bullshit. Job loss for most was due to business owners that should not be in business to begin with. Here's an example and I've seen this more then a few times. The business owner takes the money out of the payroll account to have marble floors put in his new condo? Employee checks bounce. He also used the money that was to go to his suppliers? so now he can not order what they sold (in this case was high end kitchen cabinets) then cuts the sales commission because sales aren't selling as they should?

Here's another that only paid his Hummer and mercedes benz (and poss. his home) instead of his suppliers. No longer able to order for sales until they get paid... he closed his doors (and prob. blamed the recession?)

On top of this the employees are suppose to take a cut in pay and benefits?

In 2008 what I saw was most MEN in their 50's laid off. Real reason is they made the most money, cut them out and get a minimum wager in to do that job was "cost efficient". 

It wasn't that I could not find a job it was I wouldn't drop my income to minimum wage or work for free? I can't tell you how many times I have heard "do this job at this cost and I will have other work for you" and after you do? they don't answer your call. They moved on to another sucker.

Now I take a stance. Over my lifetime I have made plenty businesses and people very rich.. now it's my time.

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #902 on: May 13, 2012, 08:37:10 am »
Every time, Every day I log on to this site, For the last week I have had to type in my user name and password,,,, Am I doing something wrong ???

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #903 on: June 02, 2012, 07:52:38 am »
For those that want to learn more ha ha , and have plenty of time check out ,  http://www.west-meet-east.com/index.htm   , I was looking for some ENGLISH info on Mahjong and found this info site , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #904 on: June 03, 2012, 12:58:24 am »
How to get Chinese Wives to make decisions.....or not !!!

Ming....LG, what do you want for lunch ??

Me......I dont know, you decide.

Ming...Are you hungry now ??

Me.....No, not really

Ming.....When will you be hungry ??

Me...Oh, maybe 1 o clock

Ming....When you are hungry at 1 o'clock...what do you want for lunch ??

Me....fall on the floor in helpless laughter.

Gotta love'em, dont you.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #905 on: June 03, 2012, 02:22:07 am »
Yes david , I can relate to that Question and answer session , but many times I have come downstairs to be greeted with enough food on the table at 8 am to last me through till the next morning , the ladies in the house being of no help as they all have eaten long before , and I know whatever is not eaten will be served for the next meals until it is finished and then we start again ha ha , as Sujuan is working today I can write this with some safety , I hope , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline maxx

« Reply #906 on: August 01, 2012, 06:37:37 pm »
Has anybody noticed all the empty seats.At the Olympics.From what I understand.They never put those seats on sale.Then when somebody said something about the empty seats.They gave the seats to the British Military forces.Then they took the seats away from the British military.And put them up for sale.But the only way to buy the tickets.Is if you actually live in England.If you belong to the E.U.And you want to buy a ticket for a certain event.You have to go to a special website.And fill out a form on line.Then they may sell you a ticket.Or they may not.

If you want to buy a ticket.And you go to the Olympics web site.They will let you go threw the process of buying the ticket.And when you are ready to pay.A note pops up.That says that you are not allowed to buy tickets.

I went to the 2002 winter Olympics.When they were in Salt lake city Utah.The company I worked for.Was a Olympic sponsor.So the Olympic committee sent us a couple hundred tickets.When we arrived at the events.There were guys standing out in the parking lot.Selling tickets to that event.And other events that were going on at the same time.Or withen a couple of days.My own opinion.I thought the price they were asking was fair.So I take it these guys that were selling tickets.Worked for the Olympics.A couple of guys that I worked with.Went to the events that they bought tickets for.They said they had a good time.And the tickets were good they didn't have any problems. At each and every event.You did have to go threw a security check.And walk threw the metal detector.If you had a cell phone they made you change the screen.To make sure it wasn't a bomb.It was about the same as going threw airport security.

So my question is what is wrong with the Brits?They are throwing Millions of dollars away.In a bad economy.When we went to the Olympics.We bought souviners.Beer,food.Plus the price of the other events.My workmates went to.And my workmates bought more souviners and more food.And I'm sure allot more beer.When I went.I spent close to 100.00.That was just for myself.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #907 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18:24 pm »
The problem is that the multinational sponsors of the 2012 Olympics have been given too many tickets  ticket for the various events.  These tickets are mostly in the 2012 GB pounds category, (thats over 3000 us dollars a throw!)  These seats are always in the best area where they are easily picked up on TV.  Unfortunately the people who the sponsors have given tickets to are of course top professionals whose interest in the Olympics may only extend to the hospitality suites and not to actually watch these early events.

Get away from these overpriced sections and the events are fuller. Equestrian Centre with maximum capacity of 50,000 people sold out.  Rowing center stands another 50,000 sold out.  The Beach Volley Ball - sold out (but maybe not all there just to watch the skill of the participants!) Not sure about the capacity of the Swimming hall but packed except for these sponsor seats.  Whether the badminton will ever be full again after Tuesday's farce I do not know but at least that sends out a warning to others contemplating a similar tactic.

Wembley stadium had 60,000 to watch England Brazil ladies football. A record anywhere and tickets available on the door as are all the football events except the final.

Tickets were available to each Olympic Association in every country attending. They sold the tickets.  But Maxx so is the popularity of London and Briton so many more just arrived here thinking they could buy tickets.

Selling ticket anyway other than at the official location is illegal in the UK - ticket touts are arrested and many have been during these games already buy a ticket from a tout and the chances are it is a forgery anyway.

Mind you saying that the main area of Londons West End has fewer people fewer cars, shop keepers complaining whilst the east end Olympic park area is packed.  People actually pay for day tickets to get into the Olympic park area just to watch the various events on Giants Screens and to take in the atmosphere.

I hope when the track and field events start tomorrow that they have sorted any such problem with these sponsors empty seats. 

The military and the security workers are still permitted to use any empty sponsor seats.

Just one point Maxx, Salt Lake City 2002 was the Winter Olympics, nothing like the scale of what is going on in UK 2012. The number of participants and coaches and ancillery workers in London probably outnumbered the total number attending to watch in Utah 2002. So ticketing was much easier.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline maxx

« Reply #908 on: August 01, 2012, 10:20:37 pm »
Willy Did you look the attendence numbers up somewhere?I'm curiose why The olympics would be more popular in London then say Salt lake city.If I had to guess.I would think that you are right about more people attending the London games.Maybe it is because London is a international city,And Salt lake isn't.

I wasn't talking about guys scalping tickets.The guy's I seen selling tickets worked for the olympics in some capacity.I don't know the number of people who attended the same events I did.But it was a huge croweds.So I was wondering why England didn't do the same thing to sell the seats.I had a guy tell me the other day.That he would rather make a little money then nothing at all.I'm kind of in the same frame of mind.10.00 is better then a stick in the eye.

I think it is kind of cool that they have the games on a big screen in Olympic park.If I was in London.I would definatly go down and check that out.Of cource that could be a big reason why they have empty seats.Less money better time you could kind of wonder around and do your own thing.Of course I damm sure wouldn't pay 3 grand  a ticket to anything.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #909 on: August 01, 2012, 11:12:22 pm »
The problem is that all tickets have been either sold or allocated to sponsors.  They cannot sell the tickets on the gates as there are officially no seats left for most events. The empty seats are there because a) the persons given them by the sponsors have not bothered to use them, or they were in the sponsors hospitality units getting into free food and drinks, or they are held by Olympic officials doing other things. So if they sell those tickets then these freeloaders could cause problems by then deciding to turn up and demand the seats back.

With the sponsor that gave you 200 tickets. If you decided not to turn up until later would you have expected them to have resold your seats before you arrived?

Ticketing for such huge events will always cause these problems. 

As for attendance figure I am watching Olympics 16 hours a day - not always live - but you things from the commentators that have the facts and figures to hand.  Just looking at the audiences you can see how many seats are not empty in the ' peoples' seats.

Even archery have said that they have never performed before such large audiences.   

Winter Olympics are  a second class Olympics such as Salt Lake City. It was just for snow bound  sports events something that the vast majority of the World cannot even participate on a local basis as it is too expensive to get too facilities to take part.  Winter sports are for the rich on the whole unless you have snow around you a good part fo the year which most countries do not have.  That is why the Summer Olympics are always bigger and better.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline maxx

« Reply #910 on: August 01, 2012, 11:25:17 pm »
Willy you must of never heard of the Jamacan Bobsled team :P

Offline maxx

« Reply #911 on: August 01, 2012, 11:30:18 pm »
I did try to look up some attendence numbers.But  I couldn't find anything.So you are probably still right. good luck with the 16 hours.Ive probably watched about 5 minutes so far.Go team U.S.A.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #912 on: August 02, 2012, 07:38:12 am »
Willy you must of never heard of the Jamacan Bobsled team :P

They are as amusing as the American voices you hear at golf when some tee's off on a Par 5. 'In the hole'  they shout. What pratt's!
They know there going be yards from the green let alone the pin.  Well I think they know!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

• Board Moderator
« Reply #913 on: August 02, 2012, 07:40:23 am »
I did try to look up some attendence numbers.But  I couldn't find anything.So you are probably still right. good luck with the 16 hours.Ive probably watched about 5 minutes so far.Go team U.S.A.

Thank God you did not shout 'In the hole' ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

• Board Moderator
« Reply #914 on: August 03, 2012, 02:07:08 am »
Just picked up some figures for you Maxx.

They are expecting 200,000 to come through the main gates of the Olympic park today. As well as the main stadium, where the track and field start today, the Olympic Park also holds the Aquatic Centre for swimming, hockey stadium and Cycling velodrome.

Cheapest tickets for London 2012 are 20.12 GB pounds - most expensive 2012 GB pounds. 

William

Willy The Lpndoner