Author Topic: Teaching in China version 3or nuts and bolts  (Read 5261 times)

shaun

RE: Teaching in China version 3or nuts and bolts
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 10:14:25 pm »
Is anyone familiar with www.eslhq.com?

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='25882' dateline='1261191581'

willy,
speaking of scottish rob  how is he doing? havent seen him on here lately

I have only received a couple of text from him in the past week.  I will be telephoning him over the weekend to see how he is.  

Willy

Looking forward to seeing you and Sisi next week.
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

shaun

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 03:57:19 pm »
2 things today.

1.  Rob it appears you are back now.  I sure would like your input if you can.

2.  Guy's looking for work, check out www.eslhq.com  There are some jobs listed there.  I do not know the quality but could be another resource.

3.  You believed I only had 2 comments?

I am considering teaching privately right now because I can determine my own schedule somewhat.

ttwjr32

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 09:34:05 pm »
Shaun   teaching privately is a good idea you can set your own hours
            and it is good money. 150 rmb an hour   if two kids in the hour
            charge 200 rmb   5 kids a week gives you plenty of spending money
            and only 5 hours a week working plus a few hours preparing and printing
            for your classes

Paul Todd

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 11:07:07 pm »
Well I've finally given in and accepted a teaching position here in Baoding.
It's a local Technical collage and they have been perusing me for about 2 and a half months now.  I was given a tour and introduced to the students. It looks to be fairly affluent with a good size indoor pool and lot of sporting facilitates and for teaching 5 classes a week of 16 students per class. I get 7000 yuan per month,paid in any currency I wish. The school year is 10 months and I get a months paid holiday during that time and an 8000 yuan travelling allowance every summer. They will provide accommodation as well ,but as I have a nice house here anyway, I won't take them up on that one.

I'm going through the process of getting my Z visa now. They require lots of nonsense paperwork that quite frankly you could just make up! I went for my medical yesterday at the local hospital. They took a blood sample, a couple of chest x-rays and my blood pressure, it was all over in about an hour and I will go back today for the results and to get my "Foreigners Health Certificate"  The whole thing cost 100 yuan. I've been told that if you are coming over here to teach not to get your health check done in your home country as they will only make you do it again over here and its probably cheaper here anyway.

The first stage of getting the work visa was to send off my resume and any qualification I had to the foreign experts office in Beijing. The school did this for me. They asked for a tefl type certificate so I told them I was taking the course online at the moment.:angel: They where more than happy with that! My resume stated that I had not taught any English for about 10 years so they sent it back and asked me to put some more recent experience down,err so I did. Next day I received a message saying I had past the test.

So now they want:-
1.Resume.
2. Copies of academic diplomas and degrees.
3. Health certificates issued by the health and quarantine dept.
4.Two recommendation letters from my teachers, colleagues or friends.
5. Copy of the first page of my passport.
6. Initially signed contract
All translated into Chinese, which the school is taking care of. Well, one of the teachers is doing the translation!

From my understanding they will then give me an invitation letter that I have to take to a travel agency in Hong Kong along with some other stuff to get my Z visa issued. The idea I have is to get my work visa through the school and as I'm only teaching 5 hours a week that will leave me more than enough time to take on some more lucrative private teaching work. With the right stamp in my passport there's no fear that the authorities will jump all over me and hopefully it will be the best of both worlds. I won't start until March and to tell you the truth if it all fails to get off the ground I won't be too disappointed. Well we will see what happens.........

shaun

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 12:23:55 pm »
Excellent news Paul.  Hope everything goes well.  Keep us informed so that we can see the trail when we do the same.

Ted,  Peggy tells me that in Shenzhen they get 50RMB per hour for a good teacher.  Do you agree?

ttwjr32

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 12:47:42 pm »
Paul  that sounds like a great gig. i was offered a job here in Guangzhou at
 8000 rmb a month but it required 21 hours a week teaching and most down here
 require 18 to 25 hours per week. congrats on that. i turned them down because
 they said and the agency said that you have to go home for a z visa?? i will be
 curious to see how it works out for you as maybe i will reconsider if you get yours to fly

shaun- 50 rmb is quite low for shenzhen  here in guangzhou its 150 to 200 for
            private teachers.  maybe shenzhen has a lot of competition there?
            i know china mike seems to always be changing schools for whatever
            reason?? and he is in that area

shaun

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:19 pm »
Ted that would be much better.  I will talk with her again.

ttwjr32

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:27 am »
just depends shaun what you want to charge but 50 is way low

shaun

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 09:28:44 pm »
Ted,

I am trying to come to China before the Chinese Spring Festival.  Don't know if it will happen but I am trying.  I still do not have my passport yet.

What brought this fee on was that Peggy was not sure if I would come or not because I would say "if."  This led to there is no commitment.  I has on my list of things to talk about was private lessons.  She tells me 50RMB is the price.  I guess it is one of those Chinese things because she tells me I can get 150RMB-200RMB per hour there.

So thing I told her to take lesson twice a week and I would pay for 2 months of lessons.  That was until I could get there and take over the teaching myself.

Well, she maintains it is 50 RMB per hour but I have a new woman talking with me.  She has completely changed or I guess I should say she has a renewed spirit.

rockycoon

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2009, 03:13:43 am »
Can't you start your own school and then charge what you want?  How hard is it to start a business there?

shaun

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2009, 06:12:01 am »
Rocky,

I looked at that idea and was discouraged from it.  First you can't own it a Chinese citizen must and second you will have the Chinese government in your business so to speak all of the time.  I'd have to find the posts where this was discussed.

Offline Chinese Knot

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2010, 11:35:26 pm »
Hello Shaun

Very nice to talk to you again here and as far as I know , the Chinese government has some new policy about the foreign teachers , such as the relevant certificates , working experience , age and so on .  And  sometimes it also depends on different schools and cities . You would better research some details before you do that .  This is just only my suggestions and wish you have a great day !

Happy new year !:heart:

shaun

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2010, 11:58:11 pm »
Quote from: 'Chinese Knot' pid='27037' dateline='1262406926'

Hello Shaun

Very nice to talk to you again here and as far as I know , the Chinese government has some new policy about the foreign teachers , such as the relevant certificates , working experience , age and so on .  And  sometimes it also depends on different schools and cities . You would better research some details before you do that .  This is just only my suggestions and wish you have a great day !

Happy new year !:heart:

Thank you for your suggestion.  I will look into it.  I want know all I can before I go.

happy New year to you too!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 01:09:41 am »
Just another titbit Shaun.   I have many times been offered 100 rmb an hour to each privately.   I do not want to go down that road myself but where I live that appears to be average for private lessons.   But then Shenzhan is the largest city in Guangdong, (pop about 12 million i believe), so prices may be higher there.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,