Author Topic: Teaching in China version 3or nuts and bolts  (Read 5259 times)

shaun

Teaching in China version 3or nuts and bolts
« on: December 11, 2009, 12:23:58 pm »
Do we really need 3 threads on teaching in China?  Well I thought it would be nice to have one that gives you the nuts and bolts along with questions OR not.

I will try to update this page so that a person can read a consensus of ideas posted here.

Rob, you shared with all of us the disappointment of not passing the interview and those of us who hoped the best for you felt the pain along with you. Would you tell us now that you have had a little time to reflect, What caused the classroom interview to not achieve the goals you set out with?  Was it the voice or the presentation or a combination of both?  Please elaborate?

Second question open to all who are teaching or those who have taught.

Did the school provide the curriculum or did you have to put it together?  If they provided it, do you have the authority to either add to it or change it?

Third,

When you did the classroom interview, what level of student did you teach, beginners to advanced?

There are so many questions I have so be patient.

Shaun

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: Teaching in China version 3or nuts and bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:58:30 am »
Hi Shaun

I do't think Rob can get on then internet for a while.

Maybe I can answer your question for him.   It was his scottish accent that caused the problem.  Sean Connery we alll know has managed to dilute his accent but Rob is having to work on his a bit more.  When I talk with him even I have trouble with his accent on occasions.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 02:29:04 am »
Wiily , at least we would know who Rob had taught , they would all have Scottish accents , regards Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

shaun

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 07:32:48 am »
Willy,

Thanks for the info, I am sure you are right but I was wondering if he had some other thoughts after getting back to England that might assist those who want to teach.

Brian Mc, Sure would like to hear from you.

If there are any others and I hope there are, please respond.

Shaun

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:18:08 am »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='25302' dateline='1260621168'

Willy,

Thanks for the info, I am sure you are right but I was wondering if he had some other thoughts after getting back to England that might assist those who want to teach.

Brian Mc, Sure would like to hear from you.

If there are any others and I hope there are, please respond.

Shaun

Greetings Brothers,

Shaun, ask and ye shall receive.

First I got my job through the recruiting comply linkesl, from a Lady named Joyce.  She put me in touch with the school in Wuhu.  I did a 5 min phone interview with them and was accepted.  When I arrived in Wuhu they took us to our apartment and made arrangements for me to go to the school.

In the afternoon of my first day I did what they call a demo class.  The point of this is to see if you can do what they want you to do that is stand in front of a class and talk or teach for an hour.

So since I had my choice of topic I spoke about Canada.  I apparently did well as I had the students laughing and asking questions and when it was over the teaching supervisor told me I did a good job.  So basically that demo class was the real interview.

As for the curiculum, the school provides this but we also teach what is called an english corner where the teacher picks the topic and also all the info given.  Just so you know the students love english corners because they learn stuff that is not in the class stuff and they have a real thirst for knowledge of anything you care to share with them.

Also we can give feedback as to how good or bad the lessons are but since this is a large organization with many schools I dont know if things get changed or not.  However a piece of advice i received from a veteran teacher was to take the idea or goal of the lesson and use the plan as far as you can and then add your own stuff to it.  As long as the goal of the lesson is met they are flexible.

All in all the school here in wuhu is pretty good and they try to help with any issues or problems you have so I have no complaints at this time.  I enjoy the teaching and the students seem to enjoy my classes as I have had students ask the tutors if they can specifically book my classes.  Also I get greeted with smiles and such and invited to chat or visit or whatever.  So as I say I am enjoying it so far.

As for qualifications I do not have a Bachelors Degree or an TESL or anything like that.  However I also do not have an accent unless I let it out.  I was born in Scotland but when I came to Canada I had to lose the accent quickly.  I have done some training in the military and in a couple of other jobs I have had but no formal teaching experience.  However at this time I have had no problems teaching and I do quite enjoy it.

So if anyone is looking to arrive in China to teach IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE, drop me a pm with your email address and I can pass it along to my teacher supervisor who can spread the word among all the schools in the company ( the company Web International is I think the largest private school group in China).  However if you are not ready to commit and move do not send me your email as they will expect you to be ready to go within a month at the most.

So anyway I hope this helps and if anyone wants more info just ask, and I will do what I can to help  I plan to be here for the next couple of years so I will be around  for a while hehe.

Sincerely,

Zhen and Brian

shaun

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 06:47:33 am »
Brian,

Thank you.  The information is great and much appreciated.  Are there materials an books that you wish you would have brought with you now that you have had a little bit of time there?  Also, how many hours are you there weekly working at the school?

Shaun
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 06:48:13 am by shaun »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 04:43:51 pm »
Good questions Shaun.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:29:16 pm »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='25427' dateline='1260704853'

Brian,

Thank you.  The information is great and much appreciated.  Are there materials an books that you wish you would have brought with you now that you have had a little bit of time there?  Also, how many hours are you there weekly working at the school?

Shaun

Greetings Brothers,

Hi Shaun,  to answer your questions I am full time at the school so forty hours a week.  However I am obligated to teach 25 hours of classes and each class is one hour long.  So the other fifteen hours are for prep for classes research etc.

My apartment is about 7 minutes away from the school so very close and easy.  I go home for lunch or supper every day so this is also great.  Zhen has the meals ready for when I get home so it works out well.  I dont have to take food with me to school so I like it better this way.

As for things I wish I had well yes almost anything from the west would be of great interest.  Even childrens books would be good as some of the students start with zero english so anything we would use to teach kids would also be good here.  Also anything about current events or world history etc as long as its not political or religious is also good.  

When I do english corners I use subjects that I know something about and also research from the internet.  They pay attention and ask questions and get involved, so english corners are often quite fun and loud.

The biggest issue with bringing stuff from the west is weight.  You cannot bring a lot of books and such because they are just too heavy.  However if you have or can get software like stuff to teach kids on the computer then that would go over well.  Discs take up little space and are very light so you could bring quite a variety of those.  Basically anything that can help you teach or has general interest to people who have limited access to the western world would work just stay away from the forbidden subjects like religion and politics.  You can talk about things like christmas and easter etc but you cannot preach or get deep into theology as this wll upset the school and the local authoritites.

Speaking of the authorities, I had to register with them to let them know I was around and living here.  All I had to do was take my address and passport.  So if you have a lease contract and your passport thats all you need, plus an extra picture of yourself for their file.  I had an extra passport pic so that was fine.  Other than that I have had no issues with local authorities. In fact I rarely even see them, its not like in Beijing where every second person is security.

Also the school I am at is quite decent.  Its clean with good classrooms and one computer for each student and one for each tutor and teacher so its well equipped.  They have a theatre room where they run western movies as well.  Classes run from one person to ten so nice and small.

All in all its a good school and they treat me well so I am quite happy.  I have had students invite me for drinks or meals or just to chat so they do make you feel welcome.  As long as you dont take yourself too seriously every thing is good.

Anyway I hope some of this is usefull and as always if you have any questions feel free to ask.  I am here for a long time so dont be shy hehe

Sincerely,

Zhen and Brian

shaun

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 10:28:15 pm »
Thanks again Brian.  Good post.  I will give your agency a call in a week or two maybe 3.  Peggy and I have talked about where she wants to be.  She chose 2 and expanded to 3.  All are in the Guangdong Province. Shouguan, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou.  That gives me some area to look at.  I have even given thought to doing private tutoring as a means of income since I would like some flexibility with my time.

I will come back to the US the first week of May and will return around the first of June.  Two daughters graduating.  One with a BS in Psychology and the other with a PhD in Physical Therapy.  Both are too important to not be there.

I will have more questions later.

Thanks,
Shaun

rockycoon

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 12:12:08 am »
You might find private tutoring a better paying prospect, or open you own school.  Just remember, your wife will be looking over your shoulder...hehehe  all those young school girls that think you just the thing they need,,,,and no private tutoring in the nearest motel room....lol

shaun

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 04:54:59 am »
Don,

We discussed opening an English school.  She has told me already she will be by my side for every class. She said she will also said she would take care of the finances so that I will not know if we are rich or not. When I asked her why?  She said, because rich men get drunk, gamble and cheat on their wives.

Shaun

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 08:50:01 am »
Quote from: 'RobertBfrom aust' pid='25279' dateline='1260602944'

Wiily , at least we would know who Rob had taught , they would all have Scottish accents , regards Ying and Robert .

If they have the same accent as our Rob then things would not change here for me at all as I still would not understand what they say!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Paul Todd

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:58:17 pm »
Hi Shaun,

If your considering opening an English school over here I suggest you read this guide first.:huh:
How To Dodge The Bullets Of Opening A School In China http://www.chinalawblog.com/2008/09/opening_a_school_in_china_can.html :icon_cheesygrin:

shaun

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 05:17:10 am »
Quote from: 'Paul Todd' pid='25729' dateline='1261015097'

Hi Shaun,

If your considering opening an English school over here I suggest you read this guide first.:huh:
How To Dodge The Bullets Of Opening A School In China http://www.chinalawblog.com/2008/09/opening_a_school_in_china_can.html :icon_cheesygrin:

Paul,

Thanks for the information.  Gee, this does not sound like a good idea at all now. For those who might consider doing this the best line in the whole article is, "If I had known what I was in for, I would have instead shot myself in the head; twice.” :s

Maybe private tutoring is the best option.  I am also exploring what Brian Mc is doing.  My only problem right now is that I need to be back in the US in May for fatherly duties.  Something I will not miss.

Shaun

ttwjr32

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 09:59:41 pm »
willy,
speaking of scottish rob  how is he doing? havent seen him on here lately