Author Topic: Christmas in China  (Read 5186 times)

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
Christmas in China
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:59:46 pm »
Ever since I came back from China in August I've been suggesting that I should come visit for Christmas.  I lucked out when i got my visa and got a dual entry 6 month visa.  That expires in January and I've only used one entry so it would be a waste not to use it up! :icon_cheesygrin:

Well, I wrote Nina last week saying I still would really love to come visit for Christmas.  About an hour later Nina messaged me on QQ and started a video request.  Nina was in Guangzhou visiting her niece for the weekend and they both went to the local internet cafe, so I got to see both of them.  Ah, what a couple angels.  All giggles and smiles.  [attachment=1190]

I told her again that I really want to visit and she finally caved and said that if I really want to come, she would be happy to see me.  Well, that was all I needed.  2 days later I had my flight tickets and days off scheduled.  

But Nina was nowhere to be seen!  She had just moved to her new apartment and her internet is not hooked up yet.  I finally found our old translator online and asked her if she would mind phoning Nina and gently ask her to check her email so she knows when I will be in China.  

But she didn't answer her phone!  OMG, I was starting to sweat.  I emailed her and asked if I should book a hotel room and if the Fuhua is close to her new place.   I had a bank appointment scheduled for today and I still haven't heard from her.  What if I can't get a hold of her?  With a million questions running through my head I come home to a qq message and email from the darling woman.

????
      ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
      ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????MINI???????????????????????????????????????
      ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
      ???????????----

So, I'm going to China for 5 days (2 of which will be spent travelling).  I have to work a couple days after Christmas and then I go to school January 4th.  I wish I could stay longer but we both have lives to live.  It will be so much easier to live that life having visited her again.  

I'd like to say I'll blog the whole thing and take a ton of pictures, but if I think of this website or any of you, I don't deserve to be in China.  I will try to take some pictures.  I will try to post something when I return.  If I return.  

I leave on the 23rd.  God keep the snow off the road til then, please!
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
RE: Christmas in China
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 09:07:27 pm »
Best wishes for your trip Neil. And if you see Santa in your passing along the jet streams, tell him I have been a good little boy. :fi_lone_ranger:
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Paul Todd

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 09:36:59 pm »
Neil,
Who's a lucky boy then!:heart:
It sounds like a Christmas to remember coming up! :icon_cheesygrin:

rockycoon

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 09:48:53 pm »
You can put in my request to santa for a wide screen tv....ha ha

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:50:12 am »
So over the Christmas period, if I see a ruddy faced foreigner, with a beard rushing around Zhongshan then it will probably not be Father Christmas but Neil trying to fit everything in during his short stay.

Put some heavy sweaters in your case Neil - the weather has gone back to being cold again this week.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 02:07:09 am »
All the best Neil.  I look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back home.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:22:51 am »
That is terrific news chocolate man , May you both have a great Christmas ,regards Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Neil

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 09:09:39 pm »
Thanks guys.  I can't wait.  Seems Nina can't wait either.  She got her English teacher to help her organize us getting married while I'm there.  Unfortunately I don't have my single certificate or the time to get it notarized and translated so I don't think it will happen this trip.  Unfortunately.  I hate to disappoint her.  

Willy, I checked the Zhongshan weather website: http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Zhongshan/forecasts/latest and it might warm up a bit.  It's not important though, we'll keep each other warm I'm sure.

brett

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 05:31:52 am »
Good luck chocoate guy - I guess you won't melt over there at this time of year. I wish I had booked a Christmas trip to China, but at least I have next year's trip(s?) to look forward to :icon_cheesygrin:.

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 10:03:00 pm »
neil,
if you get it notarized they can translate it at the place you get
your red books. i had mine translated but they still translated it
for 80 rmb while we waited. didnt accept mine???

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:11:07 am »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='25834' dateline='1261132312'

Good luck chocoate guy - I guess you won't melt over there at this time of year. I wish I had booked a Christmas trip to China,

Look what you missed Brett as someone has already arrived - honest it was not me dressed up although the ladies clamouring to get on the stage at the afternoons Church service must have thought it was me!!!!!!!!

Willy

1000 people plus at the service this afternoon and every one, including myself received a christmas preesent.
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

David5o

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 08:46:22 am »
Willy,

And we all know what present you would have been giving out to all those women, if you WERE the Father Christmas!!!  ...hahaha!!!

Is that a Jewish candle stick holder (can't remember the correct name for it) on the cabinet in the photo??

David.....

Offline Neil

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 11:32:59 pm »
Well, I'm back.  I had a great time.  I always enjoy reading about other's trips so I feel I owe you guys a little about mine.

I had to work Tuesday and was done at 1:00pm.  My flight was schedule to leave at 7 and it's a 2 hour drive to the airport on a good day.  It was not a good day.  A storm front had moved in and started blowing cold air and snow across the highway.  I left at 2 and at 2:10 I was stuck in a traffic jam for over 2 hours.  There was at least 10 vehicles in the ditch, I saw two ambulances and 3 tow trucks.  I drove about 100 kilometers at no more than second gear.  I was starting to worry I would miss my flight so drove much too fast to make up time.  Turns out the flight was delayed an hour and I had plenty of time.  

I hadn't received an email from Nina since 2 days before I left and was starting to worry.  When I landed in Hong Kong, I knew I had to get to the China Ferry Terminal in Hong Kong so I just went right there.  I should have called Nina from the airport but I knew that she wouldn't be able to understand what I said so I figured I would wait until I was at the Ferry to call.  I got there, bought my ticket and then called.  She answered right away and told me to call our translator.  Unfortunately her phone was busy so I couldn't reach her.  I quickly ran out of time so got on the ferry - the last person on board.  

When I arrived in Zhongshan I looked around the terminal for a pay phone, but there were none to be found.  I asked the lady at the food counter and she handed me a cordless phone.  I made my call to the translator and she called Nina for me and sent her off to the port.  The clerk couldn't speak any English but she understood what I needed and was happy to help.  She asked "Yuan or Hong Kong" and I understood that I needed to pay for the call.  I only had Hong Kong cash so paid her with that - like 3 dollars I think.  Cheap.  Then I sat down and waited.

About 20 minutes later I saw someone walking down the hall.  All I could see were these sexy boots, and sure enough it was Nina with a big grin on her face.  I grabbed my bags and ran to meet her.  We hugged and she introduced me to her two friends who had driven her to the port.  One is a rich lady who's husband is a wealthy business man, and if I'm not mistaken, her boyfriend is also a wealthy business man.  I had met her and her boyfriend on my last trip.  The other is Nina's "Sister" - best friend.  We sat in the back of the BMW with huge grins on our faces, holding hands like school kids.  The girls chatted in Chinese and kept grinning at me in the mirror.  Nina was so happy and so beautiful.  

I noticed that while her one friend is obviously rich and her other friend seems more traditional, Nina is definitely the alpha female of the group.  She is very respected by everyone and even the waitresses and clerks deal with her first.  She is always so friendly and chatty and genuinely interested in everyone she deals with.  Always smiling and talking and making everyone laugh and talk.  Such an entertainer.  

After a quick lunch, we were dropped off at her apartment.  Tiny by Canadian standards, it was a nice little apartment though.  One room with a bathroom, a hot plate, her own fridge and TV, a nice bed (but hard as a rock - my hip is still sore from sleeping on that thing) and a tiny little couch.  The cooking is done just outside the bathroom, the spices are on the bathroom counter as it's the only place with water.  She cooked a couple meals for us - a chicken soup and dumplings and some steamed bread balls which were sweet and soft and had a chocolate filling like chocolate cake.  Mostly we dined with friends at restaurants.  Deep fried corn kernels were awesome - tasted like Corn Pops breakfast cereal.  

We did a bit of shopping one day.  3 pairs of pants for me and a coat for her and some presents for my parents for Christmas.  She also bought a doll. :huh:  There was a table covered with dolls - mostly ugly but realistic looking, mostly western looking babies, some black, most white.  There were adult ladies going nuts over them, all hugging them and oohing and aweing.  She had to buy one and was so proud of it, the cutest and happiest doll of them all.  We went to a restaurant and she had it out beside her.  All the waitresses had to come play with it.  It would disappear from sight for a while, but it always returned with someone just as happy as ever.  Oh, and every waitress and clerk I saw was wearing a Santa hat, so yes, they celebrate Christmas in China.

On my last day we slept in as long as possible and she took me to the port in a taxi.  She made sure to pose and take tons of pictures.  I had a hard time smiling knowing I was leaving again.  The time came too soon and she walked me to the security area.  We kissed goodbye - we only hugged the last time and I think it was a very important thing for her to do that.  She wanted me and everyone else to know that we are together, husband and wife, in spirit for now until we make it legal next trip.  I turned and waved goodbye once, and the second time I looked back she was gone.  It was a long, sad ferry trip, but I was also very satisfied.  

I'm so glad I went, even if it was only for 3 days.  I was amazed at how much English she has learned.  She tries very hard.  I'm so proud of her and I made sure I told her that.  We practiced English for hours and hours until a yawn put an end to that for the night.  She emailed me today and apologized for not speaking English well enough.  I keep encouraging her and it makes her so happy when I do.  She just beams.  She wanted to bring me to her English class, but she had my date wrong that I was leaving.  I hated having to tell her that "tomorrow I go home" when she was making plans.
[attachment=1219][attachment=1220][attachment=1221][attachment=1222][attachment=1223][attachment=1224]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 11:42:57 pm by Neil »

Offline zook144

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2009, 11:50:51 pm »
Enjoyed reading your Christmas Story. I know 3 days was no way enough for you. Sounds like you have a great lady. Glad things are going well.
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 12:13:09 am »
Great read Neil. You lucky guy sharing Christmas with her. But also, I understand the endurance needed for such a long journey "There and back" just like Bilbo Baggins. I hope the Smaug wasn't to bad. Merry Christmas Neil. :icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:37:53 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances