Author Topic: Entering China with threat of quarantine  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
Entering China with threat of quarantine
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:16:42 am »
Just want to know if any of the brotherhood that have lately travelled during the current swine flu scare, have had problems getting into China. I am debating on going this Monday. I see the price of a round trip ticket to Hong Kong is now 804.00 Cdn. I am just afraid that if I book it I might miss some days if they are worried about me. I can't see with the amount of flights going into China from the USA that they would be quarantining that many people. It's just my friend here from China has talked back home and he warns me not to go. His company also issued a warning of not travelling to China unless really needed.:huh:
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Vince G

RE: Entering China with threat of quarantine
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 11:02:53 am »
Quote from: 'Rhonald' pid='2768' dateline='1242224202'

His company also issued a warning of not travelling to China unless really needed

It seems they are making sure anyone that appears sick is checked out. Here's one of the articles.

Sat May 2, 2009 11:18pm BST
MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico accused China on Saturday of imposing a discriminatory quarantine in a Hong Kong hotel where a Mexican fell ill with the new swine flu virus, and it advised its citizens to stay away from the Asian nation.
Mexican Foreign Minister Patricia Espinosa also condemned China and four Latin American countries for restricting flights from Mexico,  Espinosa criticized authorities in Hong Kong for sealing off the Metropark Hotel on Friday after test results showed a 25-year-old Mexican man was infected with the virus.

AND ANOTHER:
In Hong Kong, authorities on Friday lifted a quarantine that had kept nearly 300 guests and employees in a hotel for a week after coming into contact with a Mexican traveler infected with the influenza. Other passengers in some 19 provinces across China who had traveled with him were also released from.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:14:49 am by Vince G »

Paul Todd

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:20:57 am »
This was from today's "China Daily" newspaper:- 13/05/09

The Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) yesterday released a series of urgent measures to plug holes in airport security which were exposed by the first A(H1N1) flu case on the mainland.

Under previous advice, passengers boarding domestic flights were not required to make declarations about their health.

All airports will now post notices at check-in counters to remind passengers showing any flu symptoms to tell staff.

The CAAC said it would be up to local health departments to decide whether the passenger could travel.

The tightened measures follow the confirmation of the mainland's first flu patient, surnamed Bao.
Bao arrived at Beijing's International Airport on a flight from Tokyo on May 8 but showed no flu symptoms and his temperature was below 37 degrees.

He had a nine-hour wait for a connecting flight and spent that time at a nearby hotel where he did not leave his room.

When he later checked-in for the flight to Chengdu, Sichuan province, Bao was not required to undergo a body temperature test or fill in a health declaration form because he was a domestic passenger.

The CAAC said additional body temperature testing facilities would be set up at airports which handle international and domestic flights so that inbound transit passengers are also checked.

Airlines are also asked to equip all international and domestic airplanes with infrared facilities to check the body temperature of passengers.

If a passenger is detected with fever symptoms but is unable to return the air ticket then they will be seated where they have the least contact with other passengers, the notice said.

If a passenger with flu symptoms is found during the flight, cabin crew must report it, record detailed information and take distancing measures.

Previous advice issued by CAAC on April 28 urged airports and airlines to pay special attention to international flights arriving from flu-affected countries and regions.

"The new measures have covered all international flights as well as domestic flights," a CAAC official said.

Some passengers said they were concerned about the lack of punishment for those who deliberately cover fever symptoms on domestic flights.

"It will be better and safer if there are infrared machines for domestic flight passengers," said Wang Renfeng, a frequent traveler from Beijing.

Airlines and airports said they would implement the circular as soon as possible.

"Previously, we have prepared medicine and thermometers on flights to America, Europe and Oceania, as well as strengthened management of air crew," Zhu Mei, an Air China spokeswoman, said.

Beijing Capital International Airport this month installed additional infrared machines to double-check inbound passengers' body temperature. All inbound passengers are also required to fill out a health declaration form before entering China.

"The new measures will be deployed overnight," Li Shengbo, an airport spokesman, said.

No mention of quarantine. You should be good to go!
Heres the link http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/national.html

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:38:52 am »
Thanks Vince for the quick reply. Yes I had seen this article but it was already a week old. I was trying to find current info.

Thanks Paul for the info. This is what I was looking for. I had checked the Canadian embassy in Hong Kong and they did warn the body temperature test. I was just trying to get an idea how zealous they might be in testing us. I would hate to be in front of the customs officer and have a sneeze and suddenly be pulled aside.

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:33:20 pm »
Ya I leave in 2 weeks, this is very very stupid, but I think China is doing the right thing.  Then again Mexico is about the dirtiest place on earth once you leave the tourist traps, my personal opinion is all traffic into or out of Mexico should be suspened until this is over.  Or tell paco to stop playing footsie with the pigs already...
Can't fix stupid.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »
Rhonald...there was a story on CTV about some Canadian University students that were quarantined.  If you go to CTV.ca, and type in Swine Flu into the search window, you can find the information.  Here is one of the stories:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090504/china_canada_090504/20090504/

Two groups of Canadians in China are being held in quarantine in hotel rooms as a precaution against the H1N1 flu, Canada's Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed Monday.

One group consists of tourists, who are being placed under "preventative medical surveillance" at the Metro Park Hotel in the Wanchia district of Hong Kong.

Foreign Affairs spokesperson Alain Cacchione told The Canadian Press that, according to Chinese authorities, it was confirmed one of the guests tested positive for the H1N1 influenza virus.

"Consular officials have been assured by local authorities that all guests are being well cared for and have access to amenities including food and communications," Cacchione said from Ottawa.

"We have no indication at this time that any of them are showing flu-like symptoms."

Meanwhile, Sophie Langlois, director of media relations for the Universite de Montreal, confirmed to CTV.ca that students with the university's Centre for Studies in East Asia have also been quarantined.

Langlois said the professor leading the students on the trip said they are being held at a hotel in the northern city of Changchun.

The students are in China to study Mandarin and are taking part in a language exchange program.

On Saturday, they had flown from Beijing to Changchun, where they were met by health officials at the airport and taken to a room to have their temperatures taken.

Peter Kent, the minister responsible for overseas consular services, confirmed Monday that 22 students out of a class of 28 are currently in quarantine.

"They were originally quarantined in a university dorm, but after complaints, Chinese authorities moved them to a hotel," Kent told CTV's Power Play on Monday.

Kent noted that the students say they have been treated well and are free to move around the hotel.

"That said, we have asked Chinese authorities for an explanation of why this happened here," he said. "They passed through Beijing with no complications."

While no one in the group has a fever or is showing signs of illness, they were told they would have to be quarantined for seven days.

The group must have medical examinations in which their temperatures are taken, four times a day.
China has not reported any cases of H1N1 flu. The only person in east Asia to have been diagnosed with the virus is a Mexican traveller who was identified last week in Hong Kong.

Dr. Keiji Fukuda, acting assistant director-general of for Health Security and Environment at the World Health Organization, was asked about such quarantines at Monday morning's daily news conference.

"I don't want to comment on the disease control actions of specific countries," Fukuda said.

"I do want to point out that quarantine, in certain situations, can be a quite reasonable action to take in specific situations. There are times when it would be reasonable and other times when it would not.

"But as we've mentioned over and over again, situations differ and countries' approaches to disease control measures are choices. There is no set recipe for how you approach disease control."

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »
Yes Martin I had also read this articule. It is already a week old. I am hoping for newer info as it seems that newer cases in Canada has dwindled. We already have a few of the brotherhood I belive recently flying to China so I am wishing to get info from them directly to any hassels they might have had. Most searches on the internet just have old news from the beginning of the month. But thanks for responding Martin - and how are your daily webcam sessions going with your new wife? I guess you can understand my desire to return to see my wife.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:05:15 pm by Rhonald »

Martin

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 04:12:08 pm »
I can totally understand.  Web cam has dropped off a little, as I have been on the road.  I have not had any downtime in Calgary, but when I do, I will give you a shout.  I am up in Edmonton right now.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:28:24 pm »
I went up to Edmonton Monday night to give a course on Tuesday and returned last night. Talk about two ships passing wind in the night. But I will need to decide soon to book the flight if I wish to go this Monday. My wife is also of mixed feelings.

Martin

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 04:59:57 pm »
Hard decision.  The price is right.  Did you look at foreign affairs web site to see if there are any travel advisories?

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=55000

personally, I would go...but that is me.  I think if there were major travel issues, it would be all over the news.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 05:31:47 pm »
Well well well...
It's quite a subject that needs to be more "easy" to understand, I think, and to be told to everybody.
First, as I have been told, this "virus" seemed to be really dangerous.
After some "tests" done by some laboratories and after an interview made on some Tv's daynews, it seemed that it is not "as dangerous" as man could even think. Even if, for sure, there are many people dead. But most of the time, we don't really know if all the persons who died had any health's problems, or any other problems.
For sure, China is one country where the virus is active since many days... But I hope that, for the 3 next weeks to come, that virus will be gone for good, and that there would not be "pandemic"?
- Let's Rock -