Author Topic: How to escape :-)  (Read 3316 times)

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
How to escape :-)
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:39:59 am »
After a year of monumental battles with NZ Immigration ( which I will detail later) I finally have Visitors Visa (and soon an airline ticket) for my Lady to visit NZ. She works in Shenzhen; can any of the brotherhood tell me what the official Chinese procedure is for a Chinese national to be able to leave China and visit (me) for 3 months??. Any / all help appreciated  :icon_biggrin: David K in Howick[attachment=1193]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:49:40 am by David K »
Nothing Real can be threatened; nothing unreal exists

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
RE: How to escape :-)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 04:50:52 am »
She just needs a passport and the visa, nothing really different from you or I visiting China.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

David5o

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:00:08 am »
David K,

As this is a visitors visa for 3 months, they may ask her at the NZ airport immigration to prove she has the means to support herself during her stay. If you have previously sent the immigration office a declaration statement of sponsorship, stating that you will be responsible for her accommodation and financial support, i would strongly recommend that she carries a copy of this document in her handbag. The immigration just want to make sure she is not coming over to NZ with the intention to work illegally and over stay her Visa.

This is a worse case scenario David, and what you've been thru so far to get her this visa, you don't want any hiccups at the last hurdle..lol!! So make sure your there at the airport to meet her, ...if she does get stopped, your there to confirm your sponsorship in person.

i'm sure it's going to be well worth the long wait, .....all the best to you both!!

David

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:43:17 pm »
Thanks David50 and Mr Irish for your help.
From the NZ side, I've got the bases covered - including a letter from the Associate Minister of Immigration INSTRUCTING the department to issue the Visa - but thats a long story for another time.  

Yan however, although she is in her 40s, has never been outside of China and is quite naive about the requirements of international travel.  So I have been walking her thru how to get from her apartment to Port Shenzhen, from the Port to the airport, and how to get onto the right plane ( don't want some canandian dude to get the benefits of my years of effort :-) )  

However, I was concerned that there might be some exit procedure in China that I did not know about that would stop her being here in NZ at least for New Year. According to Irishman, apparently not   So I will be meeting her at the airport, and then...well.....maybe the cat will have to find another spot to sun itself :-)
[attachment=1194]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:47:32 pm by David K »

David5o

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 02:07:36 pm »
David K,

Not sure how you get on with the agency through where you met Yan, but i was thinking perhaps they could help explaining things to her, as far as her traveling to Hong Kong and what to do when she gets to the boader and airport. If she lives in Shenzhen, it should'nt be too difficult for her to find the ferry to HK....

Once in Hong Kong, although they are a Cantonese speaking country, there will definitely be staff there that will speak Mandarin, so she can always request help at the airport. Just make sure she arrives at the airport in plenty of time, ...Better to be hanging around waiting than running round like a headless chicken, and not knowing where to go or what to do!!

David....

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 02:15:43 pm »
David (K) believe me there wont be any problem from the Chinese side with her leaving the country, they have plenty of people already and one leaving is not a concern in the slightest!  

When I went to Malaysia with Ling 2 ..she was though passport checking faster than I was!
The NZ immigration guys will be another story though as i'm sure you are all to aware of.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 05:29:32 pm »
Thanks Guys - I think thats the last bit of the puzzle solved.

Over the course of the last year, I have discovered that the primary concern of Immigration staff is that their seats remains occupied. There also seems to be a sub-text of 'how to humiliate as many people as possible + NZ citizens get you double points'. And there is no right of review. I'll bet some of these guys spent their childhood pulling the wings off butterfiles :-(.  

Accordingly, Yan will carry with her:
A copy of the letter from the Associate Minister of Immigration,
A copy of the bank certification of sponsorship for 3 months,
A note in both English and Mandarin saying that her sponsor will be meeting her at the airport and can answer any further questions they may have, and
A copy of the Immigration complaints procedure.

The latter has apparently only recently published on their website. Previously it existed, but no-one knew about it. So complaints were minimal. Ergo, NZI were doing a great job. Shheesh!!

Thanks again to the brotherhood :-)
I'll keep you posted - or you can check your seismographs (another chinese invention)

David5o

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 05:47:37 pm »
David K,

Very few people realise that immigration are a law unto themselves, especially those based overseas in our embassy's and consulates. They are virtually answerable to no-one, not even the ambassadors. You have done well to get your associate immigration Minister to get involved, there's only 2 people above him!! ...haha!!

David.....

Offline David K

• Yan Wang xxxx
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 01:05:38 am »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='25970' dateline='1261262857'
David K,

Very few people realise that immigration are a law unto themselves, especially those based overseas in our embassy's and consulates. They are virtually answerable to no-one, not even the ambassadors. You have done well to get your associate immigration Minister to get involved, there's only 2 people above him!! ...haha!!

David.....
[/i]

Actually David,
A few more people may realise, once Yan is in the country. I have drafted letters to:

The Minister of Tourism, pointing out that his expensive, taxpayer funded program to get more people to visit NZ is being 'white anted' by the expensive taxpayer funded Immigration Department...

The Minister of Small Business, pointing out that NZI ignored evidence that I had conducted Business in China before, and that I had presented NZI with concrete evidence including a powerpoint presentation that I intended to do so again. The file, presented before I got to China, was ignored, and a Visa denied because         ' there was no evidence of a business connection' . This is hardly helpful to a country that wants to improve its exports to the world.

The Minister of Immigration, pointing out that there are no checks and balances in the Visa application process, and this in itself is undemocratic. The NZI manual of procedures clearly states that decisions must be made ' in accordance to the principles of fairness and natural justice' . In this instance it was not so, yet there is no right of redress. Two of my Chinese business colleagues now take the view that they will not bother with NZ. Can we as a country afford to be ongoingly offensive to China ?

More as it unfolds :-)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:47:08 am by David K »

Offline maxx

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 01:42:26 am »
Good Job David.Most people would of just rolled over and said ok.Whatever you decide is best for us.You stood up and socked it to the man.I like that.Congradulations.

Offline Cam

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 07:29:54 am »
Whatever you do make sure she brings "NO" food or wooden items that they can give her a hard time about when she enters, I've seen enough border patrol so see they are extra tough on Asians in NZ.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 02:39:02 pm »
Woah, Cam, elaborate on the wooden items.  My dad made a wooden kleenex box for me to bring Nina for Christmas.  Am I going to run into issues?  Oh, and how about a painting (picture frame and all- original work of my Mom)?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:40:12 pm by Neil »
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 02:41:21 pm »
Quote from: 'Neil' pid='26038' dateline='1261337942'

Am I going to run into issues?

No tissues if you run into to issues. Neil you will be going the other direction, enetering into China so maybe not a problem. However the Chinese embassy website might have information on non allowable items for you. I know it is short notice since you will be leaving soon. Oh the headaches of rush planning.

Restricted items
Please put the following items in your checked baggage.
*. Knives (including hunting knives, swords, and pocket knives)  
*. Scissors and any other sharp/bladed objects, such as ice-picks, and nail clippers  
*. Weapons such as whips, nan-chakus, batons, or stun guns  
*. Toys guns/gun shaped items or look-alikes, and handcuffs  
*. Sporting equipment such as baseball/cricket bats, golf clubs, hockey sticks, billiard cues  

From China air website - so as David said - looks okay for you.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:50:10 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

David5o

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 02:47:33 pm »
Neil,

I think Cam is referring to New Zealand customs control, not to China's...  I've taken many wood type items into China over the years, never been any problem to me!!

David

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 03:06:12 pm »
Quote from: 'Neil' pid='26038' dateline='1261337942'

Woah, Cam, elaborate on the wooden items.  My dad made a wooden kleenex box for me to bring Nina for Christmas.  Am I going to run into issues?  Oh, and how about a painting (picture frame and all- original work of my Mom)?

This is usually more meant for unprocessed wood or for industrial wooden products like pallets used in shipping containers.  The reason being that many insects get into the wood and once they get to somewhere where they don't have any predators, they start to multiply and can cause problems.  Case in point, here in Toronto, we've encountered the Asian Longhorn Beetle.  No predators and it's taken out a lot of trees in the last few years.  It came over because some larvae were in some wooden pallets (they think).

If you have a wooden picture frame or tissue box, it should be fine, especially if it's been treated chemically (varnished for example).
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen