Author Topic: What date is her real birthday ??  (Read 7569 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
What date is her real birthday ??
« on: December 21, 2009, 03:13:01 pm »
I am totally at sea with this.

Sunny wanted to know what time of day i was born as apparently this has some baring on my lunar birthday?? She says our lunar birthdays might be the same although we were born bout two months apart by the western calender|

I get that there is a lunar calender that runs in accordance to the lunar cycles and thus odesnt match up with the western one. But how can we share the same lunar birthday if we are born months apart???!!
Also she tells me her parents only wish her happy birthday on her lunar birthday , the western one apparently is meaningless to them. She said her mother even asked her if she thought I would ring her to wish her happy birthday on her lunar one. I get the impression that I better!

To top it all off Sunny says she has three birthdays. At this stage my head was fit to pop right off and all i could hear was white noise, does not compute.

So anyone care to have a stab at why :-

1) Even though we were born over a month apart we could have the same lunar birth date?, and why is the time of day relevant to that?
2) How can she have three birthdays a year?
3) Do i need to buy three sets of presents a year?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline wilsbrough

• Li
RE: What date is her real birthday ??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:33:11 pm »
Hello Irish.

Well i could be very wrong here, i'm sure the bro's will shoot me down if i am.:icon_cheesygrin: So do not hold me to it ok? But regarding the Lunar birthday, i think it may have something similar to do with something we say in the west called your 'rising sign' Which i like your star sign, ie like Aries/Leo etc, but what your rising sign is, depends on the constellation that was 'rising' (like the sun in the morning) at the time of your birth, so although you are born months apart, your rising sign could be the same, giving you the same birthday... Bit confusing right... :-/ but if you find out the time of your birth, on the day of your birth, you should be able to go online and find your 'rising sign' which like i say, i think will then be your lunar birthday.

And regarding the Three birthdays, Well, the Queen has two, so i'm sure sunny must be your Princess, so maybe that's why she has three birthdays....:icon_cheesygrin:

Andy...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:34:08 pm by wilsbrough »
Every now and then i get a little bit nervous at the death of all the years have gone by....!

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:38:39 pm »
Interesting question.  Nina asked me the same question about time of birth.  Apparently it was very important to her parents so they could give us our fortune.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 04:08:30 pm »
The whole aries/leo astrology is western.
And she must be fairly traditional, most modern Chinese go with the western.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:09:23 pm by RegnisTheGreat »

David5o

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 04:25:33 pm »
What date is her real Birthday??  ......''The Date She Was born!!!'' is the one true answer...

David....

Offline maxx

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 05:25:10 pm »
Irish it has to do with the Chinese lunar year.the date and time of your birth.Has to do with talking to the fortune teller.The boss says you have misunderstanding with Sunny.The boss says no three birthdays only two

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 06:59:58 pm »
Thanks guys, maybe I am misunderstanding it, I'll just ask her whats my lunar birth day and how to find out what it is every year - it changes apparently!!).
There are some things I am prepared to just accept, I think every year I will just say "honey what date is your birthday this year?" and treat that one as the big day.  Sometimes you just gotta accept stuff that you just don't understand and go with it.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:12:24 pm »
Hey Ronan,

1) The lunar calendar is a different beast compared to the gregorian (western) calendar.  As you said, it's based on the lunar cycle.  But what you may not know is that every couple of years, rather than having leap years, the lunar calendar (both the chinese one and the jewish one) have leap months.  So it is very possible to have the same lunar birthday but be born a month apart.

2) Not sure about this one....two I can understand, the only time I can see three is if your birthday is in the leap month.

3) That's a loaded question. :)

As for what time, people who believe in feng shui believe that you can predict a person's future by knowing as much as possible about their birth including time as well as date.  Then there is also their element...

Finally, here's a tool to help determine your lunar birthday...

http://www.mandarintools.com/calendar.html
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:15:55 pm »
Irish, When I was in Beijing, I looked for a calendar that had both the lunar as well as the 12 month calendar.  Could not find one.  Scott said it correct.  Just ask (and then remember) is the best way.  I asked XiuRu about this, and her response was that it had been years since she had celebrated her birthday so it was no big deal.  But then I gave her a Black Hills Gold wrist watch.  Her response was that she might like to start celebrating her birthday again.  It does not make any difference, all she has to do is smile, and she wins every time.  buzz

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:22:45 pm »
I had thought the some (in China) advance there age by the Chinese New Year. Hence the 3rd birthday? Maybe? :huh:

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:31:01 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='26165' dateline='1261448565'

I had thought the some (in China) advance there age by the Chinese New Year. Hence the 3rd birthday? Maybe? :huh:

Forgot about that one...Ren Ri.  "Common Man's birthday".  7th day of the lunar new year.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Chong

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 02:22:55 am »
The time [ and day ] that you're born also determines which 'date' is good for your marriage celebration ... in accordance with your future wife's.

feisnik

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 10:26:20 am »
Almost every calendar I have seen in China has both the Lunar date and Gregorian date. You will see that their calendar does not line up with ours. Chinese New Years, hence, is a different date on the Gregorian calendar each year. This year it is on Saint Valentine's Day, 14 February. As said above, there are many reasons that when born in different years, one may share the same birth date on one calendar, but but on the other.

David5o

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 11:27:29 am »
Why don't you make things easier on yourselves, check the date of birth in her passport, That's her birthday thereafter. Forget all this twaddle and confusion with lunar this, and lunar that!!!

This is what we both do, and there is no problems whatsoever knowing when her CORRECT and OFFICIAL birthday is!!!!

David.......

feisnik

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46:08 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='26203' dateline='1261499249'

Why don't you make things easier on yourselves, check the date of birth in her passport, That's her birthday thereafter. Forget all this twaddle and confusion with lunar this, and lunar that!!!

This is what we both do, and there is no problems whatsoever knowing when her CORRECT and OFFICIAL birthday is!!!!

David.......

My wife's birthday was recorded on the Lunar date in her village, so it does not match up to the date she was born on the Gregorian date. So how do I fix this? I celebrate it on September 10th on both calendars!