Author Topic: South China Trip  (Read 17727 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: South China Trip
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 11:52:06 pm »
Quote from: 'Neil' pid='28547' dateline='1263784779'

Nothing wrong with Vietnamese ladies.
*warning - this link is probably not work-safe*

No wonder Sarge went off to Vietnam in his younger days.  He probably said screw the war, I am going to see this girl!

Offline jeffm

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 12:25:32 am »
Cam

Thanks for that. haha.  I have to say I am partial to the Vietnamese/Cantonese look.  I think I'd like to have a drink with that owner. I would guess that bar is not far from their two or three universities there.

So what did you do close your eyes and put a finger  on the map and it was Nanning?  haha.  

Good luck in Chongqing. I'm sure all will go well for you there.   That is probably my second favorite province as far as beautiful women go.  If I strike out in Guangxi province then Sichuan might be my next trek/adventure.
Watch what people do not what they say

ttwjr32

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 12:45:01 am »
yes they do have seperate houses on their own lot outside of guangzhou
 but you definately need a car for those. to far to town

what i am saying david is that on the new buildings in certain areas the top floors are
 large housing. i looked at on that was 325 m   finished  but it basically had a large front
 room and the bedrooms were average with 1 small bathroom??

Offline Cam

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 12:13:09 pm »
Quote from: 'jeffm' pid='28564' dateline='1263792332'
Cam

Thanks for that. haha.  I have to say I am partial to the Vietnamese/Cantonese look.  I think I'd like to have a drink with that owner. I would guess that bar is not far from their two or three universities there.

So what did you do close your eyes and put a finger  on the map and it was Nanning?  haha.  

Good luck in Chongqing. I'm sure all will go well for you there.   That is probably my second favorite province as far as beautiful women go.  If I strike out in Guangxi province then Sichuan might be my next trek/adventure.

Well apart from the blonde Brazilian singer who works there, you'll probably be the only westerner in the club, on a normal night, it starts to kick off at about 10.30pm.
As far as choosing Nanning I was talking to a girl who contacted me on qq and she said it was warmer there, I'd been to Guangdong before so I hit the airport and landed there, stayed at the 7 Days Inn (the one close to the 5 way intersection with KFC on one corner & McDonalds on the other) within walking distance of both WallMart & Soho for 129rmb per night, great hotel & very helpful staff, mind you it's only 7rmb to get to either by taxi.
If you like seafood hit that lane at night & stay away from PizzaHut, it's like a night club with more staff than customers & twice the price of one at your local.
As I'm here doing nothing they have given me a couple of relief classes ( the girls in the office couldn't organise a piss up in a pub, first time I've ever taught kids & they are doing Cambridge at that )  grade one's last Friday & grade 6's today, talk about an undisciplined bunch of little shit's, may as well get the 5 or 6 good kids & throw the other 40 out of the class, but you have no power to do anything and no support from the school, can't wait to get my own permanent school in late Feb.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:19:33 pm by Cam »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2010, 07:06:03 pm »
Quote from: 'Martin' pid='28560' dateline='1263790326'

Quote from: 'Neil' pid='28547' dateline='1263784779'

Nothing wrong with Vietnamese ladies.
*warning - this link is probably not work-safe*

No wonder Sarge went off to Vietnam in his younger days.  He probably said screw the war, I am going to see this girl!

It I went to see her, I would have made it back there if I had to crawl.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Arnold

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 07:30:46 pm »
Quote from: 'JimB' pid='28660' dateline='1263859563'

It I went to see her, I would have made it back there if I had to crawl.

Yes Jim , like me rowing to Shanghai . We would be fools not to .

Offline jeffm

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 04:18:50 am »
I’m off to the airport in a few hours. Pulling an all-nighter to start adjusting to the time. Will keep everyone posted.

Cam that was a laugher and thanks for the info.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 10:27:42 am »
Jeff.  Have a fantastic trip.  I am looking forward to the updates.  Good luck adjusting to the time, and have fun!

ttwjr32

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 03:45:00 am »
looking forward to the updates on your travels as is
everyone else

Offline jeffm

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 04:38:39 am »
Alright.

I just got into my hotel in Nanning.  Stayed over last night in Hong Kong. The Flight was an hour and a half late, so instead of getting in at 8:30pm it was more like 10pm or so.  I supposedly picked a hotel less than a half mile away from the airport, because my flight left at 10:25am the next morning.  Well the hotel was a good 30 minutes from the airport.  Go figure. Driving up to the airport this morning I look off to my right and see a Marriott hotel maybe 1000 feet from the airport.  I just had to laugh to myself.  The flight went well to HK.  The flight also went well to Nanning, but it always amazes me the smoking flight attendants on the Chinese airlines.  Doesn’t matter which one they all mostly have really nice looking women.  Hong Kong Airlines did not disappoint haha. I fly Continental and it is the polar opposite haha.  

Went through the usual customs to get my bag, and then went to another machine that you had to put all of your luggage through for one last check.  Well I get mine off the belt and start to attach my carry-on to the big bag, and I glance toward the doorway leading out to the public area.  There is this girl there waving, but she was a good 40 feet away.  I’m thinking she’s waving at someone else and continue to attach my bags together.  As I walk toward the door it became apparent she was waving at me, as she waved again and had this smile on my face.  The first time she waved I’m thinking to myself that is a nice looking girl.  Well when I knew that was my girl I could just smile and think well she passes the look test right away haha.  That part is over with, but I quickly found out that she can’t really speak any English. She wrote English, so I assumed she could at least speak a little. That wasn’t good, but I had my Besta 7000 and she had her cousin with her who did speak English.  They brought their uncle along to drive us.  It was raining pretty well.  We got into this van, and everything about it was mini.  It looked like it was built for small people.  I felt pretty big in this thing haha.  The valves were knocking something bad, and I could tell he couldn’t go very fast on the expressway because of it.  It was kind of humbling for me, as all I could think of was how fortunate I am to have the things that I do.  I’m not rich by any means, but my cars back home are in a lot better shape.  These people didn’t think a thing of it, and were as happy as if they had everything.  I always seem to either learn something new or have a revelation everytime I come to this country, and I haven’t been here 24 hours yet.  Wendy (my girl) wanted to go into town before I checked in and get something to eat, as she had a three o’clock meeting at work to get to.  So we went to a Cantonese restaurant close to her work and had a great meal with 5 different dishes on the table.  Excellent food and a lot of it.  We couldn’t finish it and there were four of us.  The bill was 250RMB.  What a deal.  I know I’ll return to that place again.  She then left the table to go to work and we kept eating a little more.  Then we left to go to my hotel.  I envisioned Nanning to be more modern, but it was a foggy rainy day, so maybe I just haven’t seen the real city yet; however I can see why they call it a green city.  There are flowers everywhere.  I think it probably is going to be a beautiful city with all the color and green exotic plants.  The hotel is rated a 5 star, and the price is 85USD per night.  It’s nice but I don’t know if I’d give it a 5 star rating, but the price if right and it’s clean, so I’m not complaining.  

Wendy will be here at around 7pm.  I don’t know what we’re doing tonight yet.  I am the first westerner she’s met. That would explain the shyness.  Pretty girl and very nice.  If this goes well I might not make it to the agencies in town.  That’s okay with me, because I am tired of the dog and pony show.  The language barrier is going to be the big problem as I can see it now.  I hope it doesn’t end up being a deal breaker for me.  My patience will be put to the test.  I can see that now, but keep seeing that pretty face just might make me stay in this lol.  

That’s all I can think of now.  Will post more as the days and events happen.  By the way it is still raining steady.  Kind of reminds me of those military movies that take place in jungles of Vietnam.  It’s only right down the road probably an hour away.

Jeff
Oh how could I forget.  Wendy greeted me with a Chinese ornament as a present.  I wish I would have followed through and brought her something like I was going to.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:21:37 am by jeffm »

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 06:04:44 am »
Hi Jeff,

I'm glad you made it well to Nanning! You went empty handed? Wow I wouldn't dare, but that would also depend on how long you were writing to each other I guess. Good luck with Wendy, but if you do have time go and check out that agency for the other brothers in need here, ok ? :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Enjoy yourself, enjoy Wendy and keep us posted!

Cheers,
Frank
Go deep or don't go

Offline zook144

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 06:17:24 am »
No gift for the lady!!   Ummmm.....IMHO you may want to rectify that in some way. Maybe slip out somewhere and buy her something. Or take her shopping and let her pick out something nice. (within reason of course, ha)
I'm sure you will figure it out.  Good luck and hope all works out for you.

Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 09:56:19 am »
Great update Jeff.  Glad to see you made it there safely.  Thanks for all the details, I nejoyed reading this so far.  Looking forward to your next update.

ttwjr32

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 10:15:35 am »
Jeff,

i would try to get to know her before making a decision just based
on not speaking english. its tough at first but i have to freinds in the
states and after 2 years they cant get their wives to shut up and they
could not speak at all either. who knows she might just be a terrific
lady like the two my freinds married

Offline Cam

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 10:16:02 am »
Great to see you made it, if you're staying a while or going back I can highly recommend the 7 Days Inn group of hotels, something like 350 across China, I've stayed in about 5 different ones and for the price $20 US ish a night you get a clean decent sized room with air, tv, good bathroom & free net but you'll need to get someone Chinese to book it for you as they don't have a western website yet & if you join their membership for about 14rmb & book on line you get a huge discount and your own key which they will re configure for you at each hotel to keep permanently.
Enjoy.