Author Topic: Access to blocked nets sites in China  (Read 2904 times)

Offline dude

Access to blocked nets sites in China
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:47:30 am »
I have been accessing all net sites for the past week with no problems, here in Changsha. I have been using VPN through a company called EXPRESSVPN...it cost me 12.95 U.S. dollars a month. For those of you in China, that would like to visit all websites, while your here, you might be interested. The link for more info is  http://expressvpn.com   the only downside it isn't free!

rockycoon

RE: Access to blocked nets sites in China
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:55:48 am »
What websites would those be?  Do they block yahoo ?

Vince G

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:15:28 am »
Thanks, bookmarked it for future use if needed?

ttwjr32

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:32:46 am »
great thanks i bookmarked it also now if i
 could figure out how to pay for it here in
 China i would be a happy camper. no credit
 cards here just the cash in the bank and my
 debit card from bank of china which is not like
 my debit card from usa doesnt have the m/c or visa
 logo

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:02:52 pm »
There are some more options listed here

Frank
Go deep or don't go

Offline dude

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:39:00 pm »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='28805' dateline='1264002948'

What websites would those be?  Do they block yahoo ?

Rocky,
On mainland China many sites are blocked...the two main sites we hear much about are Facebook and Youtube. You can access all sites from Hong Kong & Macau! China doesn't block Yahoo. I sometimes like playing Pokerstars, so it's nice to be able to access this site!

Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='28812' dateline='1264005166'

great thanks i bookmarked it also now if i
 could figure out how to pay for it here in
 China i would be a happy camper. no credit
 cards here just the cash in the bank and my
 debit card from bank of china which is not like
 my debit card from usa doesnt have the m/c or visa
 logo

ttwjr,

I didn't use my credit cards...I used Paypal...dunno if you can setup an account with them butt you can check it out:icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:43:19 pm by dude »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:14:32 am »
I have joined the ExpressVPN site - I have it working as it tells me the ip address on the top right hand corner of my laptop.  

However I can still not access youtube, facebook, a ning newsgroup, pokerstars where i used to play a tourney dailey before coming to China.  I can still not even access my own website.

All I get is the Oops from google telling me the link is broken  or  Internet Explorer cannot display the page in every case.

So maybe does not work done in Southern China.

I will give it a day or two and if it still does not work I will cancel the payments.

Anyone any ideas?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline dude

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:28:26 am »
When I first joined I had same problem. I used downloaded program and it didn't work. I sent them an email and they had me install their PPTP and gave me a name and password and a link with complete instructions on how to run it. Since then it has been working great and haven't had a problem. I've been on Facebook everyday as I have posted pics from Changsha on there. I don't think it would be a problem from anywhere on mainland China to run. Maybe you try this and it will work, unless you have tried this already...if you haven't, here are link's to install with Win Vista and Win XP...you will first need to get them to send you server info, username, and password.
Windows Vista: http://expressvpn.com/pv-pptp-vista.aspx
Windows XP: http://expressvpn.com/pv-pptp-xp.aspx
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:30:18 am by dude »

Offline Cam

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 10:27:13 am »
Be very wary using PayPal in China, I tried to book a flight from Shanghai to Nanning and the money was taken out and the ticket canceled but my account was suspended because they thought someone else was accessing it from overseas (yes it was me you dick heads) now I can't use my account at all which has had the money refunded into it until I get back To Aus in 5 months, I rang them and there is nothing whatsoever I can do about it even though the money came from my bank account, they won't put it back...........Lucky I don't need it, also lucky they did suspend it in a way as I saved about 200rmb by going through a local agent instead of a big discount internet company and got the same next day flight.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:31:34 am by Cam »

David5o

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 10:39:10 am »
Cam.

If there not going to return your money into your account for 5 months, insist that the lost interest is Also to be repaid on your return to Aussie. These banks and financial institutions are crafty bleeders, they think were all stupid or something. That money of yours will be gaining interest for them for those 5 months it's sitting in there pot!!!

David.....

Offline dude

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 10:58:50 am »
Cam,

I rarely use paypal, the amount is very small and if they did suspend my account, it wouldn't be a problem! Everything so far is good as I'm on facebook this moment and getting ready to play pokerstars for a little while, before I crash...the weather has been bad today, with wind and some rain early! It's been a lazy day at home! :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 06:33:29 pm »
Quote from: 'Neil' pid='28965' dateline='1264098961'

http://www.chinahush.com/2010/01/21/introduction-paper-bus-a-free-proxy-service/

I was going to ask you if you tried it, but since it has only been released today, well yesterday ...

Thanks for the link Neil!

Frank
Go deep or don't go

Offline Cam

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 11:00:27 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='28950' dateline='1264088350'

Cam.

If there not going to return your money into your account for 5 months, insist that the lost interest is Also to be repaid on your return to Aussie. These banks and financial institutions are crafty bleeders, they think were all stupid or something. That money of yours will be gaining interest for them for those 5 months it's sitting in there pot!!!

David.....

Yeah I'd kick up a stink but it's hardly worth the $4 I'll lose when you consider how convenient PayPal has been over the last few years at home, I'll just grin and bare it for now.

ttwjr32

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »
this might be a stupid question   can you set up a pay pal account in china?