Author Topic: China proposes law to ban eating cats and dogs  (Read 6175 times)

shaun

RE: China proposes law to ban eating cats and dogs
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 07:32:06 am »
And just when I was going to China they talk about banning dog and cat.  Well, I guess I had better stay home then...  Who am I kidding, I wouldn't eat one anyway but what Chong is talking about does give me an idea.

I had better keep track of where my ex lives. If the economy gets much worse and we go through a depression I know where I can get my hands on plenty of cat.

I have ate cat before even though I didn't know it at the time.  Maxx, close to your neck of the woods in Hobbs, NM back in the '70's and early '80's there was an older man who had a burrito stand in downtown Hobbs.  It was always busy when I was passing though town. He had a reputation of having the best burritos anywhere so one day I stopped and got one.  The rumors were correct so each time I passed through town I would stop and buy a few.  When I got home I would freeze them and have one every now and then.

Some time in the early '80's I was reading the newspaper and saw that he was in jail.  It seems that he was collecting all the stray cats and was using them for the meat in his burritos.  It was a few months before I ate another burrito.  I just couldn't face them.

Offline jeffm

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 11:20:12 am »
Quote from: 'Chong' pid='29812' dateline='1264831404'

Here in Kaiping [ and Taishan district ], dog and cat are very popular. As a poster above stated, a particular breed of dog is farm/raised for this purpose. They even eat puppies. Cat meat is eaten mostly during the cold months in the form of soup ... or stirfried with snake. On a visit to the 1920's built "Diaolous", there were wooden 'cat cages' in kitchens. So obviously, there's history with this food source. How they prepare cat is as follows ... they are taken out of the cage by neck clamps, drown, boiled, de-skin , chopped.

Having own cats as pets before, I personally wouldn't eat it. They're cute and have their own personalities.

In the Kaiping outdoor markets here, there are cats in cages meowing and cats roaming freely to catch mice. It's the luck of the cat straw.

In a fictional movie, the one eyed "Cyclops" ate humans. How would you feel being a food source ??? If outer space aliens started coming to earth and eat humans as a food source, how would you feel ??? We have guns to counterattack our enemies ... but a cat is defenceless.

Now that's funny.

I'll be real disappointed if I can't have my golden retriever with my eggs.  Breakfast will never be the same.
Watch what people do not what they say

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 11:26:04 am »
Interesting the polar opposite views here.
As long as its killed humanly and fast then I don't have a problem eating it. Does the mouse think the cat is cute whilst it toys with its life? - have you ever seen a cat play with a mouse its caught - its anything but cute and cuddly.

Nature is a pretty damn harsh beast, we just got lucky to be the smartest beast.
I do think cats are cute but i still want to eat one. I ate dog before in Guangzhou and it was pretty good, and would have no qualms doing so again - though with the proviso their end was quick and they lived as good a life as any of the cows or pigs or chickens we consume here in the west regularly. Has anyone ever seen the chicken farms, now that is something that makes me want to go organic but I'm too cheap.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

rockycoon

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 11:27:20 am »
Shaun,  you should have ordered a Carne burrito, not a panocha burrito...:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

I have never seen more reasons to go vegitarian in my life.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:29:00 am by rockycoon »

ttwjr32

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 05:17:09 pm »
well Shaun at least he wasnt in jail for the same
reason as the tv episode that would have turned
me vegetarian, for those who like that stuff
i guess to each his own right. if i new what it
was then i wouldnt and couldnt eat it

shaun

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 07:50:54 am »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='29850' dateline='1264868840'
Shaun,  you should have ordered a Carne burrito, not a panocha burrito...:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

I have never seen more reasons to go vegitarian in my life.

I stand on what I have said before.  YOU are a sick man. :icon_cheesygrin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ted,

The rest of that story was that when a friend told me about the cat burrito maker I nearly puked.  It was a year or two before I began eating burritos again.  I have already discussed with Peggy that I will not eat cat or dog.

Shaun
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:04:32 am by shaun »

Offline Chong

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 08:26:04 am »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='29848' dateline='1264868764'

Has anyone ever seen the chicken farms, now that is something that makes me want to go organic but I'm too cheap.

Sunny and I went to pick up our two 'Black' Chickens today that a friend brought for us. Supposely, they taste better than your normal chicken. The friend's mother tied their legs together, put them in a plastic bag and off we went to the market to get them killed, boiled and de-feathered. When we got to the market [ 10 minute walk ], one of them died from suffocation. It still bled when the throat was slit. During the preparation, the chicken lady said that this chicken was sick [ based on looking at it's bum ]. Sunny's mom told us to throw that chicken away. The other chicken was in good health. When it's body was sliced open, a few yolks spilled out with it's guts; apparently, it was about to hatch a few eggs. Personally, the 'Black' Chicken didn't taste anything different than a normal chicken. Cost per chicken was 35 RMB or $ 5.00 Cdn. Cost to slit, boil, de-feather was 2 RMB per bird.

[attachment=1395]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:28:11 am by Chong »

Offline zook144

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 08:28:45 am »
Guys,
I'm a mailman, so if anyone wanted to take a bite out of some of the dogs on my route, I wouldn't mind them getting their just rewards.  :icon_biggrin:  But seriously, I don't know if I could eat dog or cat. At least if I knew what it was. On a slightly different subject, my lady told me she would feed me lots of chinese food when I visit. I said one thing I couldn't eat was "chicken feet". She got quite a laugh out of that.

Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Cam

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 09:39:01 am »
Wow, those chickens were expensive, I asked at one of the many chicken/duck stalls around where I live and the total cost after you choose the chicken is only 13rmb plucked and ready to take home, but going by the chicken you get in restaurants ( I hate when you have to constantly spit out bits of blood bone) they are probably all old boilers, and when I do get around to buying one I'll be telling them to keep the feet, head and neck.

David5o

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 10:01:18 am »
Cam,

Depends on where you are in China, as to the cost of Birds (chickens) Also the weight and age of the birds, and where and how they were reared.... But 37 rmb does sound a bit high for a prepared chicken, ...they must have been a couple of 'big birds'' ...lol!!

David....

Offline jeffm

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 10:15:49 am »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='29848' dateline='1264868764'

Interesting the polar opposite views here.
As long as its killed humanly and fast then I don't have a problem eating it. Does the mouse think the cat is cute whilst it toys with its life? - have you ever seen a cat play with a mouse its caught - its anything but cute and cuddly.

Nature is a pretty damn harsh beast, we just got lucky to be the smartest beast.
I do think cats are cute but i still want to eat one. I ate dog before in Guangzhou and it was pretty good, and would have no qualms doing so again - though with the proviso their end was quick and they lived as good a life as any of the cows or pigs or chickens we consume here in the west regularly. Has anyone ever seen the chicken farms, now that is something that makes me want to go organic but I'm too cheap.

I'm getting some good laughs here.

Maybe I just amuse easily.
Irishman I'm pulling your chain here, but what does this thread have to do with Dating a Chinese Lady?:icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 10:20:39 am by jeffm »

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2010, 12:22:45 pm »
Quote from: 'jeffm' pid='29913' dateline='1264950949'

Irishman I'm pulling your chain here, but what does this thread have to do with Dating a Chinese Lady?:icon_biggrin:

The link is tenuous at best truth be told, not sure where else it fits though :D
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline jeffm

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 12:29:43 pm »
I must be tired/punchy from my flight/or the neurons just aren't firing normally, but this talk is just killing me
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:31:41 pm by jeffm »

rockycoon

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2010, 08:38:17 pm »
If you think the talk is killing you, wait till you eat one of those chickens, dog or cat...haha:icon_cheesygrin:

cost of plucked and prepaired chicken 37 rmb

cost of all the eggs you missed....unthinkable...:icon_cheesygrin:

cost of getting to work late, because your alarm battries went dead and you ate the chicken...priceless....:icon_cheesygrin:

Shaun, you know you love it....haha  == from one dirty ol man to another.....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 08:47:21 pm by rockycoon »

Offline Chong

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2010, 10:20:22 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='29912' dateline='1264950078'

But 37 rmb does sound a bit high for a prepared chicken, ...they must have been a couple of 'big birds'' ...lol!!

David....

David's right, these were big birds. You can get the regular chickens for a lesser price. "Black Chicken" cost more depending on weight ( as David noted ). Of note, we brought the birds separately and brought them to a stall to get it prepared for 2 RMB.

Sunny's Mom ( and most other Moms ) will save the 1 RMB [ 15 cents - for a regular chicken ]to get it prepare. They rather do it themselves at home. :icon_cheesygrin: