Author Topic: Winter Olympics  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
Winter Olympics
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:39:13 pm »
Well I have to say opening ceremonies were nice but nothing compared to the Beijing Summer Olympics.  

How many of you guys cheer for china as much for your own country?  I know I do.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

rockycoon

RE: Winter Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 06:27:04 pm »
I watched the opener, and the announcers were saying it was now a contest to see who could come up with a better one.  Well, at
first they were wowed by the vancouver opener, then one thing after another struck and then in the end, mechanical troubles (honest guys I didn't do it...ha) and the whole show went kaput.  Now they are saying Bejing is still number 1 in first place and have dropped
last night to 4th place, and the designer of the whole thing has egg on his face.  Stuck doors.

you know a little WD-40 goes a long ways....:icon_cheesygrin::s
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:28:45 pm by rockycoon »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »
The Chinese are so good at organising events.   How many of you saw some of the spectacular shows on TV in the run up to midnight last night.   Every  singer and song had a different dance routine with thirty - forty or more dancers.   At 1am, at the end, the dancers numbered in hundreds on the stage.    So many beautiful legs, so many beautiful women all working in unison!!!!!

I was so pleased to be able to get to bed and unwind with my own choreographer (or to keep thread in line maybe I should say TRAINER)!!!!  

Willy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:39:48 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Chong

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 10:50:02 pm »
I'm waiting to see if they show the hockey on CCTV 5. I suspect that they'll only show the Gold Medal match only...  but more, they'll show any sport involving Chinese athletes first and foremost.

I didn't see the opening ceremony but you can't compare an opening "Summer" ceremony with a "Winter" ceremony ... the scales of comparison are so vast. How was the Vancouver ceremony in comparison with other Winter Olympics ???

rockycoon

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 11:04:18 pm »
They had a huge contingent of Chinese, I would say as much as us, and perhaps more than russia.

It's hell playing ping-pong in the snow....:icon_cheesygrin:

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 02:28:16 am »
Willy the shows last night were great and the events during the day in GZ were really great
even with a little rain and cold it was great what they did. the flower market was good with
much entertainment and the things they sold there everything except cars and houses, and i
learned a lot about the reason for certian flowers and what they symbolize.

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 03:36:24 am »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='31624' dateline='1266120258'

It's hell playing ping-pong in the snow....:icon_cheesygrin:

In the snow on Ice.  Now that would be something Id pay to watch.

Anyone know where you can find cctv 5 streaming on the net?
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 10:37:14 am »
Chonger...the ceremonies were awesome!  I believe they were held at BC Place Stadium (Home of the BC Lions-for you CFL fans)  The only snag was when the indoor cauldron didn't come up.  There was to be four come out of the ground, and only three came up.  It really wasn't that big of a deal, except that Katrina LeMay Doan didn't get to light her flame.

Rick Hanson wheeled the flame into the stadium.  Terry Fox's Mom was one of the people that carried the Olympic flag in...his dad carried the torch earlier...as did Walter Gretzky.

I thought they did a great job honouring Canadian icons.  They also did a good job of honouring Nodar Kumaritashvili, the luger that died on the track earlier in the day.

Can you access http://www.ctvolympics.ca/?cid=sbctv?  You can catch all sorts of video there, including highlights of the opening ceremony.  CTV is broadcasting in high def on the internet.  CBC has no coverage at all of the events.

ttwjr32

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:53:47 pm »
Martin,
thanks for the link, not as much coverage here in GZ
so i can access this

Offline Chong

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:59:03 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='31888' dateline='1266350027'

Martin,
thanks for the link, not as much coverage here in GZ
so i can access this

Ted,

You probably saw by now ... there's entire coverage on CCTV 5 ... even the hockey games ... "live".

rockycoon

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 11:33:14 pm »
Looks like the Americans are keeping their end up, with a lot of gold.  Canada has one hell of a woman's hocky team and is
kicking butt with everyone so far.

But the Chinese being no slouch's, picked up one also so far.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 01:46:36 am »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='31919' dateline='1266381194'

But the Chinese being no slouch's, picked up one also so far.

And don't we know it.  Repeat after repeat of the pairs skating Gold and silver medals and full video profiles of these skater every hour it seems.

Love the short skirts though - but maybe the women should have them and not the men!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

rockycoon

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:20:00 pm »
It's those scottish skaters willy.  Never knew they skated with the kilts on, must get cold on the ice, specially if they fall down...frozen
buns....haha :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Takes them a pint or two just to get out there...no wonder they
skate in circles...ha
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:22:03 pm by rockycoon »