Author Topic: Is there a traditional period going on right now?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Oiler1

Is there a traditional period going on right now?
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:19:30 pm »
I asked people in my hotel why it was so busy and they said it is the traditional holiday where they pay homage to their ancestors. Is this the Ching Ming period?

Pardon me if I get the terms wrong.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:19:54 pm by Oiler1 »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: Is there a traditional period going on right now?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:22:08 pm »
When I was in China last year, I arrived on March 31...and it was the grave sweeping holiday.  So its right around that same time.  How is your trip going Don?

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:25:40 pm »
It's too early for Qing Ming (Tomb-sweeping)... April 5th by my calendar.  Although in some places, they do observe it within 20 days of the actual day (I believe).

I just did a wikipedia check and there is the Blue Dragon Festival... I've never heard of it, but I haven't heard of many things. :icon_cheesygrin:
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 11:59:00 pm »
Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='33894' dateline='1268281540'

but I haven't heard of many things. :icon_cheesygrin:

Like that tree that fell in the forest? :icon_cheesygrin:
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:36:51 am »
Quote from: 'Rhonald' pid='33900' dateline='1268283540'

Quote from: 'mustfocus' pid='33894' dateline='1268281540'

but I haven't heard of many things. :icon_cheesygrin:

Like that tree that fell in the forest? :icon_cheesygrin:

Or the meeting between the unstoppable force and the immovable rock...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:41:07 am »
for the most part they stay pretty close to the dates

Offline David S

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:14 am »
In my time here, I'm starting to get the impression the Chinese look for ANY excuse to party! Am I right.  They seem so calm and normal on the outside, but I sense they are a bunch of party animals just waiting for the next one to come around?

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 10:08:48 am »
David,

Not quite. :icon_biggrin: But chinese people in general will look for any excuse to get together with family for a big dinner/outing. :icon_cheesygrin:
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

brett

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 01:23:37 pm »
Does a lot of alcohol consumption go on in China? Mr Wu shared a glass of beer with me and they had a teeny amount of red wine with their meal, but they weren't big drinkers like my family lol.

The Wu's and their relatives all have that thing where alcohol makes their faces go red. I'm not sure if it does anything else more serious.

Hubei was certainly different to Japan, where an incredible amount of boozing was going on by the salarymen :icon_cheesygrin:!!!

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 03:14:24 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='34286' dateline='1268504617'
Does a lot of alcohol consumption go on in China?

I suppose it would depend on where you are, and who you are with...no different that any other country.  I can say that where my extended Chinese family is concerned, alcohol flows pretty freely!  I had to come home so I could detox!  But again, depends on who you are with.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 03:14:40 pm by Martin »

David5o

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 03:48:39 pm »
Alcohol flows pretty freely, in most Chinese families, ....well with the male members anyway. The big problem is, that generally there not very good at holding there liquor, so it doesn't take very much (compared to western consumption) before they become a little worse for wear!!! ...haha!!

Also, alcohol is one of the biggest contributing factors in many of the breakdown of marriages in China...

David....

Offline metooap

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 04:30:21 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='34303' dateline='1268513319'

The big problem is, that generally there not very good at holding there liquor, so it doesn't take very much (compared to western consumption) before they become a little worse for wear!!! ...haha!!
David....

David

I would say, that for the most part - and I can not speak for all - at least my relatives are very good at holding their liquor - considering the alcohol content in the liquor. If you look you will find that the content in a lot of cases is over 55%/proof. That is some liquor!!

David5o

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 05:00:37 pm »
metooap,

Not sure what the strength of alcohol is in the States, but in Europe Spirits are generally 70% proof.

I don't drink much myself, a cold beer in really hot weather, one or two beers when out to be sociable, or when we have guests or visitors. So not really in a position to talk about it that much, but seen too many Chinese guy's pissed in the clubs that i used to go to over there. Didn't notice that they were drinking any great quantity to get them that way.

In the UK for arguments sake, i used to see guy's regularly get through 20 pints of beer a night, with little sign of them being pissed. And similar sort experiences elsewhere in Europe.  I guess i'm comparing the Chinese consumption with what i've seen in say UK, Germany, etc when i made that comparison in my post...lol!!

David....

ttwjr32

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 04:28:40 am »
ive noticed the older guys here i China can hold  lot of alcohol
but the younger ones get stupid

shaun

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 08:03:23 am »
I was thinking about bringing a couple bottles of Jack Daniels with me but Peggy told me no.  I'll switch to a couple of bottles of Jim Beam instead and claim innocence.  They may frown on drinking so I will not offend her.