Author Topic: Help??  (Read 4263 times)

trwme

Help??
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:01:39 pm »
Hi guys,

I need a little quick advice about something Xin wrote to me, before I try to answer it, lol.

She wrote: My darling, I have just sent my friend back home, she came to my home for dinner, we went to the super market and bought a lot of delicious food. I made four dishes for us. My dear, I wish you were here, haha.. My dear, if you were here, who would be the guest, who will be the host? haha... Do you want to be a guest or do you prefer to be a host?:-)

Ummm...I am trying to figure out is if the italicized portion above this has some meaning I am missing? Culturally, or otherwise? We've been talking about my visit when it comes.

Edited to add: The part she wrote after this was kind of suggestive, ahem. So I am wondering if she is offering to stay with me at the motel when I come? Or is there some chinese cultural thing I am not aware of with the guest/host thing.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:04:49 pm by trwme »

ttwjr32

RE: Help??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:20:31 pm »
being the host i think she means that the 2 of you are together
and will be the hosts to people who come to dinner. if your the
guest then you are just a freind who comes over for eating and talking:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »
She certainly wants you to take charge when you are there.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 10:28:57 pm »
There is an anecdote in Chinese history about exchanging places between the 2, but your safest and wittiest answer is :

"I shall come as a guest, and stay as a host"

She can of course be your "guest" in your hotel room, looool :icon_cheesygrin:
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

trwme

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:18:11 pm »
Quote from: 'odysseus007' pid='34091' dateline='1268364537'

There is an anecdote in Chinese history about exchanging places between the 2, but your safest and wittiest answer is :

"I shall come as a guest, and stay as a host"

She can of course be your "guest" in your hotel room, looool :icon_cheesygrin:

lol....well, I metioned what she wrote right after the bit I quoted, and she was definitely sending a message there. Without quoting it verbatim, she basically mentioned her friend and her had gone for a walk, and she worried people might think that was strange for two women to walk together, but that I shouldn't worry she wasn't like that, and I'd know that when I came to see her.

this is what I've written (but not yet sent, lol) in response;

Should I prefer to be the guest or the host? Well, the guest does get a delicious meal made by my sweet Raina...and the guest does get a nice walk. But then, the guest gets sent home! Perhaps I will come as a guest and stay as the host? (smile) If I were the host, I think my guest, if my guest were you, I would not be so hasty to send her home, unless she wished to be sent home. But then, perhaps if I were the host, and we were together, we could both be the host (smile). And then we could host your friends as guests, and then send them along their way when the evening was done. So in the end I think I prefer to end as the host!

Haven't sent it yet. Kinda incorporated what everyone said here so far, lol.

Arnold

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:31:33 pm »
Haha ... Roy , I copied it and send it already to my Lady :icon_cheesygrin: Thanks !

If the Translators Tongue doesn't get twisted ... you'll be good to go !

trwme

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:41:12 pm »
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='34098' dateline='1268368293'

Haha ... Roy , I copied it and send it already to my Lady :icon_cheesygrin: Thanks !

If the Translators Tongue doesn't get twisted ... you'll be good to go !

lol....well, I reworded a couple of things slightly with the translator in mind, so hopefully it will come out the right way! the more I read the full context of what she said, I am thinking she is asking to stay with me at the hotel...I did ask her previously if she could help me arrange the hotel to stay at while I am there, close by her home if possible.....
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:42:36 pm by trwme »

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:12:53 am »
Haha ... and the rest is history !

He came, he saw, he conquered....

or was it the other way round?

Ave Roy ! I think your empire will be wider than Caesar's - his only spanned Gaul to Egypt, hehe
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:16:34 am by odysseus007 »
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:16:09 am »
Maybe she just wants to know if you want to sit next to her or not!!

The host will sit facing the door and the co host will sit opposite him.  Guest number 1 will sit on the right hand side of the host and guest number 2 on the left hand side. And so on around the table.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 03:06:27 am »
good analogy Willy but i dont think she was asking seating arrangements

Roy go with what you wrote it is good:icon_cheesygrin:

trwme

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:45 am »
Well, I took a few of the commas out, and sent it, so it's sign sealed and delivered by now! Willy, I sure hope she wasn't talking seating arrangements:s

As long as she and Arnold's lady aren't friends anyway, I hopefully will get a good response!:icon_cool:

And 007....I am the next Mark Anthony??:blush:

• Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 05:11:30 am »
Quote from: 'trwme' pid='34111' dateline='1268384925'

Well, I took a few of the commas out, and sent it, so it's sign sealed and delivered by now! Willy, I sure hope she wasn't talking seating arrangements:s

As long as she and Arnold's lady aren't friends anyway, I hopefully will get a good response!:icon_cool:

I was talking culture not seating arrangement.  The seating plan was secomdary to what i was saying.  By asking if you wanted to be host or guest she was asking if you wanted to sit next to her or facing her.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

ttwjr32

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 08:37:35 am »
Roy,
keep us informed as to what she said about that

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 12:14:27 pm »

There is no historical equivalent.... Mark A really wimped out in the end, he got totally ruined by that woman... you don't wanna go doin that, ya hear?

trwme

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:25:54 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='34131' dateline='1268401055'

Roy,
keep us informed as to what she said about that

I'll do that Ted. The reply should be later this evening, if she stays on our usual schedule of events!

Quote from: 'odysseus007' pid='34149' dateline='1268414067'

There is no historical equivalent.... Mark A really wimped out in the end, he got totally ruined by that woman... you don't wanna go doin that, ya hear?

lol, nooooooooooo...don't wanna go there!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:28:51 pm by trwme »