Author Topic: Hong Kong To Guangzhou  (Read 4015 times)

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
RE: Hong Kong To Guangzhou
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 12:15:30 pm »
The fastest I have used is the minibus to Shenzhen (Luohu if you want the bullet train) or anywhere else depending on where in Shenzhen you want to go, they drop you at your hotel. Cost is 150 RMB or a little more in HK$, and you sit in the van at customs, go towards the airport express in HK airport and make left and a right there, follow mainland transfer signs.

Ferry is bloody slow because of their schedule unless you're really lucky with your timing, and then immigration in Shekou takes a good bit of time but taxis are right outside at the exit.

Bus to GZ, I did that, took over 3.5 hours and traffic was not too bad, I won't do that again, cost was 200 RMB. Mine went through Luohu where you get off and on for customs, some go over the new bridge to Shekou, I came that way from Jiangmen ...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:17:58 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

shaun

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 07:51:59 am »
I am told that the ferry is only 25 minutes.  Is it true?  I am also told to get off at Nashan Shenzhen.  I thought I saw in this thread that there is only one stop.  True?

Ronan sorry for using your thread to ask questions about this.

Shaun

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 12:53:04 pm »
More questions the merrier Shaun, the more info I find about this the more it helps me. The boat ride would be kinda cool, so if it doesn't add greatly to the time I'd be up for it.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 09:00:08 pm »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='35571' dateline='1269690719'

I am told that the ferry is only 25 minutes.  Is it true?  I am also told to get off at Nashan Shenzhen.  I thought I saw in this thread that there is only one stop.  True?

Ronan sorry for using your thread to ask questions about this.

Shaun

Shaun yes the ferry takes 25 minutes, but their schedule is such that you'll be waiting at least 60 minutes for it to leave ... I waited 90 minutes. And the transfer from the airport to the ferry is another bus ride, don't remember how long.

Actually, if you do use the ferry, do not pick up your luggage, do not go through Hong Kong immigration but straight to the ferry counter in the transit area (mainland transfer or mainland ferry signs), otherwise you'll be in trouble :) They will collect your luggage receipts and get your cases for you, this works well. You only collect your luggage in Shekou before passing Chinese immigration.

You can buy a 1st class upgrade when you board the ferry, then you can smoke and see outside better, I think they serve coffee too, they only seem to offer this to Laowai (but then 90% of the passengers are, I think the Chinese use the metro or shuttle bus. The downstairs 2nd class is a bit weird, on the ferry I was on the windows were tinted with film which was scratched, so the view was not that great.

Have fun anyway,
Frank
Go deep or don't go

shaun

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 10:55:28 pm »
Thanks Frank.  That will help a lot as I am sure I will have that deer in headlight look when I get there.  I am a boat and water person so the upper deck will be for me.  The coffee will help too.  Do you know do they offer valium? :icon_cheesygrin:

The other question I have, is there only one stop for Shenzhen?  Peggy's sister has told me a few times to take the Nashan Shenzhen Ferry. I have noticed that Peggy address is Nashan Shenzhen. Remember I am a rookie traveler to China.

Shaun

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 11:45:10 am »
Hey Shaun - I am talking with my wife on QQ and maybe we can meet you at the airport to guide you to the border. My wife has never seen a deer in the headlights before.....:huh:...oops I am her dear so maybe she has.

Anyways, discuss it with Peggy, as Yan has said she is willing to talk with her over the phone.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 03:56:53 pm »
Shaun,

Nanshan is where I stayed, a 25 RMB taxi ride from the ferry terminal, right next to Shekou, so it's the same. There is only one stop, and the upper deck is closed up as well, I don't know if you can get to the open air. Those are not those fancy speed ferries going between Macau and HK by the way, this is a fiberglass boat, wide enough to seat about 25 people in one row, with big screen TV in front (showed a movie in Cantonese with Chinese subtitles when I was on it)

Valium? You'll be sleepy enough after the long trip, ... get a coffee in Starbucks while you're waiting for the ferry, it's on the departure level in Hong Kong airport, follow the sign to gates 21 and more, there is an elevator right next to where you wait for the ferry, that level also has a smoking lounge (looks more like an CIA torture chamber) if you're after that. There is free wifi in HK airport if you're bringing a laptop ... should be like that everywhere around the world ...

If you want to buy something bring RMB, although they do take cards as well. There is an ATM somewhere, but you get Hong Kong dollars, not sure you want these for China :icon_cheesygrin: You can buy dutyfree while waiting for the ferry, cigarettes are cheaper than on the mainland, the rest is so so.

Frank
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:58:53 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline jeffm

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 11:40:06 pm »
I don't know about cigarettes being cheaper than the mainland.  I can buy a carton for the equivalent of $13 on the mainland.  In the U.S. they are close to $60. $13 is the best price I've found.  I bypass buying cigs in HK, because I know I can get them cheaper on the mainland.
Watch what people do not what they say

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 12:14:08 am »
Ever since coming to China I have become a 20 a day man.  But not a cigarette passes my lips.  Passive smoker to the core.  IS THERE NOWHERE in China where they do not manage to get a smoke?  Elevators, Motor Cycles selling meat you name it they smoke whilst doing it.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 05:32:31 am »
Hong Kong prices are a little steap for everything. wait till you get to the
mainland to buy things. also Shenzhen is a little pricey also from what i have seen.

the govt in GZ is cracking down on smoking with the buildings and eateries having no smoking areas
now in many places and the goal is to get evrywere smoke free in the upcoming year or so. not sure
what their doing in other cities but here they are really trying and smoke shops have signs that
say under 18 no buying your cigarettes here. also they opened up the new bus routes here which are
ice ad a little faster because they get the whole middle of the road.

i like to take the bus as i get to see everything when i am riding them. sometimes i just get on a bus
and go till it stops and sightsee the area then try and find my way home on another route. that makes
for a fun ad exciting day when im bored.

line 5 opened on the subway here and there are planes for 4 more lines by 2012

and GZ is getting a complete face lift for the Asian Games this year