Author Topic: April showers, Mei flowers  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Philip

RE: April showers, Mei flowers
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 01:15:20 am »
Hi guys,
greetings from sunny Shanghai. I should be back in London today, but Icelandic ash has seen to that. I may have some standby possibilities for Tuesday, but I need to join the queue with a few thousand others. Otherwise, I have a flight rebooked on the 29th. I am thinking of getting a train back to my beloved Changsha. Shanghai is big and exciting and all, with its Maglev trains, skyscrapers and nightlife, but is a little menacing, to these London eyes. People seem to want to rip me off, or sell me Rolex watches (How quaint) or massages.
Short summary of my trip so far: I am now a happily married man. We got married on the 7th April, got our little red books, had a lovely honeymoon in Zhangjiajie, and had some traditional wedding pictures done. My wife is just the same wonderful person she ever was. There is only one difference now we are married. She insists on us taking buses, not taxis, ha ha!
I will post pictures when I return to England, and update you when I can. But you can add this to the success stories.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 01:22:53 am »
Great to hear!  Congratulations.  I was supposed to go to Zhangjiajie, but had to change travel plans because of a wedding.  I hear it is quite nice there.

Very happy you got your red book.  Big congratulations!

Vince G

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 01:34:24 am »
Congratulations !!  "Philip" :fi_lone_ranger:

Offline Peter

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 04:03:02 am »
Welcome in the Club for "Western Men Married To A Woman From Changsha". I think we are 5 today :icon_cheesygrin:

Have a happy marriage and a safe homecoming
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 05:37:41 am »
Congratulatios Phillip,  

Changsha is a great place to be married from.   I can remember sitting with you in a pub in London when you wondered if this day would ever come.!

Well it has and you have done it.   And I wish you many happy years to come.

Welcome to the club.

You have finished work in London so why not catch that train and show her just how much you love her.  The volcanic cloud will not last forever so wait until the UK airports have settled down.

Now if you want massages then I have two girls in Zhongshan - or is it messages they do?:angel:

Willy

Just seen that the ban on flights over the UK has been extended for another day!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:30:11 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

shaun

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 07:41:51 am »
Congratulations.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 01:50:35 pm »
Congratulations, welcome to the club.  Now the hard part.  Waiting for her to come live with you.

Jim
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

ttwjr32

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 07:30:30 pm »
congratulations to you and your bride
may all the best come to you in life

Arnold

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 12:25:38 am »
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Offline Philip

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 03:53:55 pm »
I am finally back in England now, having got a standby flight 11 days after  my originally-scheduled flight. So many things have happened, that I will not go through what happened every day, but I will talk about the main themes of my stay,
1. Wedding and Honeymoon
2. Hospitals in China
3. Living together

So, I am now a married man for the first time. After previous difficulties, it was remarkably smooth. Having wasted a Cerfificate of no impediment and a single certificate last year, I brought both this time, just to be sure. We got both documents translated (funnily enough in the same building where her old agency is, ha ha!) - that cost 200 yuan for each. Then we went to the Changsha marriage office and got our picture taken and our little red books within half an hour. Very simple. - 300 yuan.

On the same day, we visited her best friend in hospital (more on that later), and we went back to our favourite Yippee hotel. The next day, we booked a 3 day trip to Zhangjiajie for our honeymoon (700 yuan each, all expenses paid), and we booked the photo studio for when we returned (1300 yuan). On the day before we left for Zhangjiajie, we booked into a very cheap hotel near the station (80 yuan a night). My wife is very cost-conscious - she stopped us taking 10 yuan taxi trips and insisted we take 1 yuan bus trips.

The yellow dragon caves are spectacular, 17 km of massive caves, stalactites, underground river journeys and beatiful rock formations. We endured the rather amusing shops, where we were forced to experience some hard-selling of tea, kitchen knives and massage oils. Hardly anyone bought anything, but we all got a free massage, ha ha!
Zhangjiajie would have been better if it hadn't been pouring with rain. The amazing cable car ride was slightly spoiled by not being able to see much through the fog, but my wife was grateful for that. But if you love nature, wonderful karst rock formations, exotic ancient woodland, rushing rivers, you will be stunned by this place. I would love to return on a sunny day. Two days was not a bad amount of time to get a taste of the place, but a week would be better.
Wild monkeys are everywhere. You are advised not to feed them. My wife ignored this and gave one of our dumplings to a large monkey. He then proceeded to rip my entire supply of dumplings and cakes from the bag in my hand. I could have sworn the other monkeys called him 'Martin'. Ha ha!
We walked a lot and returned to the hotel with happily sore calves.
So, the marriage and honeymoon cost less than 4000 yuan. Not bad.
We discussed rings and she advised not getting them, even though I know she wants one. She told me I had spent a lot already on flights and other expenses. I felt a bit bad, but I will get her a ring later. Can anyone advise me on where to go, because I have no idea where to get a good deal. Would it be advisable to find a ring in Hong Kong, or on the mainland?
When we returned to Changsha, we went to have our photos taken. We might have spent a bit more having some outside photos had the weather not been so atrocious. I watched my wife being made up, foundation, eye-liner, false eyelashes etc. We both were very co-operative, it felt a bit artificial, some of the poses made me feel like a catalogue model, staring off into the distance, standing like a Victorian patriarch, but it was worth it to see how beautiful she looked. Lots of costume changes, it was quite fun really. The only bit of photoshopping they did was to remove the lines in her neck when she turned her head, so not too bad.
The most important thing about our wedding and honeymoon was how natural and comfortable we are together. We have very similar temperaments. We are both quietly determined, will walk till we drop, are sexually very compatible and are very patient with each other's language difficulties. Oh, and we love each other.

Arnold

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 05:03:57 pm »
:heart:Oh, and we love each other:heart:

Philip ,
I know this was your last sentence of your wonderful Story , but it had that all over it already .
Just great to see both of you Married and in Love . Do we have Pictures coming soon ? Hope so .:icon_cheesygrin:

shaun

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 07:56:47 pm »
Phillip,

A good read but would not mind you expanding a little.

Shaun

Offline Philip

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 02:13:59 pm »
Hospitals.
I seemed to spend a lot of time in hospitals this visit. My wife's best friend was knocked off her electric bike last month, and she hit her head, causing memory loss and she broke her leg.
My wife's friend is a nice person, who has an interesting personality, very different from my wife's placid and calm one. She is almost always arguing with someone, on the phone or in person. She has an almost-permanent affronted expression on her face. It is difficult to tell whether she is seriously offended or just joking. Her eight year old son's expressions are the only clue to whether she is telling him off or joking with him. He knows. I don't have a clue. She lives in a very modest and dark ground-floor flat in Changsha. The living room is like a garage, unpainted concrete floors, her two bikes, a wooden bed and a little table. Her bedroom is equally modest, with a bed, a computer and an old sofa. The kitchen is very small and basic (there is a duck and a chicken who live there) The squat toilet/shower is tiny. There is an energy-saving bulb in each room, but they give out little light. The wiring looks very dangerous and there is no decoration on any of the walls, no paint, no wallpaper. She is 38, she has a younger brother, who visits regularly and uses the computer - he is very pleasant and friendly. She has two older brothers, who she gets on with, but argues with a fair bit.
On the day we got married, my wife and I visited her friend in the 8th Changsha hospital near the station. It was not very clean or hygienic. Her room had broken tiles and had not been decorated since ever. The walls were shabby and dusty. Her friend's mother was there looking after her, they shouted at each other a lot. A male friend received the same treatment, especially when he started smoking a cigarette in her room. The only people the friend never shouted at were my wife, me, and her younger brother. The friend struggled to her feet a few times and tried to hobble down the corridor, to practise walking. The nursing staff seemed mostly disinterested.
A few days later, returning from our honeymoon, we visited her again on the day she was being discharged from the hospital. To get from the hospital to the taxi, my wife carried her friend on her back. I offered to help, but she insisted. The taxi went to a different hospital, slightly cleaner, but not much. I think she wanted a second opinion on her treatment. This time the male friend carried her on his back. The male friend offered all the male medical staff cigarettes. (Unbelievable!)
A few days later came the news that the friend's father had broken his leg in a traffic accident. We took a slow uncomfortable two hour bus ride to the orthopaedic hospital in Liu Yang, a small town maybe 40 miles East of Changsha. This was an incredibly dirty, rundown and dangerously unhygienic place, dark, dirty corridors full of beds with dirty linen, uncleaned toilets, and a massive pile of waste just piled up in the car park. Her father was in a bad way, but I couldn't help feeling he'd be better off at home. My wife had to leave after a while because she felt nauseous because of the smells in the hospital. We took a hairy motorcycle ride to the bus station on a bike with an umbrella, just about keeping out the driving rain. Then we took the slow bus home.
There were many arguments in the days that followed between the friend and her brothers. She hasn't been working for a month. She has had to pay the hospital bills with the support of her brothers. Now the brothers are having to pay the father's bills. It is no fun being ill in China. Thank God for the National Health Service in Britain.
A few days before I left the friend went to yet another Changsha hospital, this time much cleaner and better run. She was having painkilling injections because she had overstretched herself visiting her father in hospital. She doesn't really trust the doctors to operate on her father, so she wants to be with him. All this time, my wife and I tried to be as helpful as we could, bringing food and cooking for her and just providing some moral support and trying to reduce the stress.
On my last day but one, she asked us to accompany her younger brother to the East Changsha bus station, so that he could visit her father. I didn't know why we had to accompany this man in his twenties, but my wife explained that he was a bit slow and couldn't speak very well (news to me). He just seemed to be a polite and pleasant young man. He gave up his seat on the bus to an elderly woman - first time I've seen anyone do that in China. But the friend phoned when we reached the station to say she had made a mistake and that the brother wasn't to visit after all. It was at this point when my wife asked me whether I wanted to visit the friend's father the next day. By the look on her face, I know that she didn't really want to go, but didn't want to be disloyal to her friend. When I suggested we spend the day together in Changsha, she smiled and looked very relieved that I had made the decision for the both of us. She said that her friend might be disappointed, but when we asked her, she said it was fine. Both my wife and I are keen to help out friends who need help, but we know we need to draw the line somewhere, and make sure we find time for each other.
I am getting used to crossing the road in Changsha - it's like a dangerous kind of line-dancing. But after these two road accidents to these two family members, I can understand just how dangerous it can be to deal with Chinese traffic.

Offline Chong

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 08:47:22 pm »
Quote from: 'Philip' pid='37883' dateline='1272651239'

My wife's best friend was knocked off her electric bike last month, and she hit her head, causing memory loss and she broke her leg.

Was she wearing a helmet ?

Here in Kaiping, it amazes me to see three people on scooters. Small children would stand in the front holding the handlebars WITH NO HELMET. Or small babies would be between the two helmet wearing adults ... again with no helmet.

Also people carry almost everything on their scooters ... chickens, rice sacks, construction materials etc etc ...

I thought the hospitals here were inefficient but Changsha's sounds worse. The funny scene here in Kaiping is that many groups of patient hower over the doctor's desk. There's no such thing as a private conversation about your situation. In the middle of a consultation, new people arriving would interupt the conversation with their own question. AND the doctor would answer it !!!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:48:21 pm by Chong »

Offline Canadian Ice

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:27 pm »
Congratulations....awsome story!!

Rick
A wiseman said:
Given two ears & one mouth...we should listen twice as much as we speak!