Author Topic: April showers, Mei flowers  (Read 5708 times)

Offline Philip

April showers, Mei flowers
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:02:28 pm »
In four days, I will be off to Changsha for the fourth time in 10 months.
This time next week, I could well be married for the first and last time.
Last year, I hadn't even imagined that I would be having a relationship with a Chinese lady. This year, I am starting a new job in Hong Kong and starting a new life with my new wife in China.:heart:

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
RE: April showers, Mei flowers
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:31:12 pm »
Congrats and good luck Philip. Hope everything works for the best.

Jim & Gina
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:53:54 pm »
Well Philip best wishes for continued success hope to see you
and your wife after you settle in HK.

Ted

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:53:17 pm »
Congratulations Philip, cheers to the first and last time ... you avoided the "western trap" :angel:
Go deep or don't go

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:23:42 pm »
Nice one Phillip.  As a fellow Londoner I doff my Titfor (Hat) to you and your lady and wish you all the best for the years ahead.   Like me you are going for the first and last time.   What is it with us Londoners going for a trouble and strife (wife) just once in our lifes.   Maybe we arejust more sensible than the others!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:00 am »
Philip, have a nice and wonderful trip, and keep us updated about your life in HK and with your "future" wife ;)
By the way, I wish you all the best in your new life :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:41:35 am by Sylvain D »
- Let's Rock -

Arnold

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:41:11 pm »
Philip , four times in ten months .. isn't that against Forum Rules ? :huh: I need to talk with Martin and the other Mod's .

Anyway ,  if we don't hold you for further questioning ... have a wonderful Trip of your Life .

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 10:43:34 pm »
I did four trips in the first five months visiting here?  So I must have broke a few rules myself which is quite unlike me on here.:angel:

Glad all has worked out in the end Philip.  

Changsha is a great place to marry.  They have really good facilities for foreigners but do not forget to buy the cigarettes and candy from the nearby stores as that will cause any unseen problems to disappear.

I will be in Guangzhou on Friday 9th - 12th if you are passing through.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

rockycoon

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 03:22:40 am »
Congrats Philip,
Hope this all works out for you and your new life is wonderful. Keep in touch...

Offline Philip

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 07:01:19 am »
Yesterday was last day of term at my school. At the end of the day, the whole staff surprised me in the school hall by throwing confetti on me in the school hall and wishing me good luck in my impending marriage. It was quite overwhelming. 50 people saying really nice things about me. So much for trying to keep a low profile. My head teacher handed me some cards and presents. one of the presents was a book in which everyone had written kind words of congratulation.
I am glad I have avoided a stag party, one of the sad rituals of British pre-marital life. Getting drunk, smiling bemusedly at strippers and finding yourself naked and tied up in cold British countryside is not my idea of a good night out. If I want to celebrate my coming wedding with a bunch of guys, I would much rather come here.
I have encountered no disapproval, from either friends or family. I think they all know what this means to me. Plus, an interracial relationship is not a big deal for them to consider.
So, I fly from London at 9.20pm tomorrow, arrive in Shanghai at 3.45pm, wait until 9pm for my flight to Guangzhou, arriving at 10.55pm on the 4th. Don't know if anyone has any suggestions about what to do in Shanghai airport for 5 hours. Do they have internet access in the airport? I won't have a computer with me.

Offline dude

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 08:25:18 am »
Philip,

Great to hear you will be here, in Changsha, very soon! Send me a PM and maybe we can meet here if you will be spending a few day or more in Changsha! Wish you and your bride-to-be the best, here in China! :icon_biggrin:

Jim

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:11 pm »
Philip congrats to you my friend..hope you two are really happy:icon_cheesygrin:

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:29:05 am »
Quote from: 'Philip' pid='36006' dateline='1270206079'

I am glad I have avoided a stag party, one of the sad rituals of British pre-marital life. Getting drunk, smiling bemusedly at strippers and finding yourself naked and tied up in cold British countryside is not my idea of a good night out. If I want to celebrate my coming wedding with a bunch of guys, I would much rather come here.So, I fly from London at 9.20pm tomorrow, arrive in Shanghai at 3.45pm, wait until 9pm for my flight to Guangzhou, arriving at 10.55pm on the 4th. Don't know if anyone has any suggestions about what to do in Shanghai airport for 5 hours.

There for 5 hours - just make sure you do not end up getting drunk, smiling bemusedly at strippers andf finding yourself naked in a cold back street of Shanghai!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

shaun

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 05:28:08 pm »
Congratz Phillip.  Peggy and I are in GZ for a couple of days then off to Shaoguan.  I wish you all the best.

Offline Philip

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 05:10:29 am »
Hi guys,
I am taking advantage of the free internet at Shanghai airport. Just killing the three hours until my flight to Guangzhou.
Trouble-free flight so far, China Eastern, no individual tvs, so I just tried to get some sleep.
Unlike most of last year, no-one was wearing those silly masks on the plane.
My Chinese lessons are starting to pay off. I am starting to recognize more of the signs and understand more of the conversations. My Chinese teacher is from Beijing, so I know I have a strong Beijing accent. I will be in Guangzhou late tonight and in Changsha tomorrow:heart::heart: