Author Topic: UK election and the possible implications  (Read 1394 times)

Offline UK Mark

UK election and the possible implications
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:13:49 am »
The election debates of course include the immigration issue which effects all of the UK site members here.

It is also likely that in 2010 the UK will see very significant changes in UK immigration policy. A new Conservative Government intends to put numerical limits on the number of immigrants coming into the UK

The leader of the Conservative Party David Cameron would not give a precise figure for an immigration cap but suggested a figure of "tens of thousands". He went on to say that he would like to see annual immigration at a similar level to the early 1990s when net annual immigration was at about 50,000 a year compared to recent years when it has been at about 200,000 a year.

Sarah Mulley of IPPR and author of the report had the following to say:
"There has been a lot of talk about capping immigration from various groups, and close to an election those calls are becoming stronger,"... "But people are often vague about outlining how it would work in practice."

UK immigration is an important election issue. It seems that 2010 will see tougher immigration controls and possible numerical limits on immigration. It is hoped that if there is a Conservative Government that the new Government will realise quickly that a numerical limit on immigration is both unworkable and is not in the long term interests of the UK.

If you wish to gain entry to the UK under a Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa or another visa category you should consider applying sooner rather than later. Changes in UK immigration policy could make it harder in future for skilled workers, students and family members to gain entry to the UK.
here is a general article by the daily mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/election/article-1264333/GENERAL-ELECTION-2010-Under-Labour-nearly-UK-jobs-taken-foreigners.html

Some one made a interesting comment on Conservative 'capping plans' stating that theye can't by european law cap immigration from eastern EU countries so can only do so by capping the countries that need visas

How it effects us .. I cant really see any justification on capping spouse visas , or even family visit visas .. i am sure the capping will be aimed at teir 1&2 workers , also students .. the language tests may get harder but i am only guessing .
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:31:30 am by UK Mark »
Dreams can come true

Offline mickw

RE: UK election and the possible implications
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:30:20 am »
Hi Mark

Just an addendum to your post ,and my personal experience of the UK goverments and immigration.
My story was back in Manila Phillipines in 1997 .my then fiancee had secured an interview on the 22nd June that year ,one for which i was with her for.The date was circa a month and a half after the Labour outfit had won the first of their current 3 terms on May 6th 1996 ,she had the interview with the entry clearance officer ,and he elected to have a word with me on a couple of things the main one being she had omited to get notification from the Manila statistics office that she was free to marry ,the other being a discussion between me and the officer about some the current new government rules and regs that had been brought in the previous month.
The main point being was apparentky the new labour party had abolished the so called "Primary Purpose rule " which is according to the officer i spoke to was that the girl had to prove she was coming to the UK because she loved her fiancee/spouse and not for monetary gain or to dissapear into the community and overstay her visa.These new rules and regs had to be implemented by the consulate officials and officers whichever government came into power in the UK
This rule of course was impossible to prove by the lady ,hence there were many foreign ladies from all countries  who got refused entry clearance due to this stupid rule ,so a feather in the cap for the labour outfit , at least on this count ,which affects us all seeking our asian lady to come to the UK .
Digressing now and onto the China front ,my fiancee Lin Fang has just spent 5 months with me here in the UK ,and returned to china late last month,im going out there again in a few months ,after i get my cert of no impediment etc to marry there.
I spent 3 weeks with her in March 2009 in China and we secured a 6 months visitor visa for her from October  last year ,as we both agreed it would be nice for her to sample life in the UK,she did take to life here very well.So from your post Mark it will be interesting to see how our application for the  spouse visa goes when we apply,saying that she went home within the visa expiry time by 2 days so it should stand us in good stead for any future application
 Should there be any problems in getting the visa ,believe me ive been to the local MP before and raised merry hell when i had a hitch with the Filipina girl when we applied for her extension visa in 1998,and in all credit to her she sorted it out with the home office for me.

regards

Mike

Quote from: 'UK Mark' pid='36622' dateline='1270977229'

The election debates of course include the immigration issue which effects all of the UK site members here.

It is also likely that in 2010 the UK will see very significant changes in UK immigration policy. A new Conservative Government intends to put numerical limits on the number of immigrants coming into the UK

The leader of the Conservative Party David Cameron would not give a precise figure for an immigration cap but suggested a figure of "tens of thousands". He went on to say that he would like to see annual immigration at a similar level to the early 1990s when net annual immigration was at about 50,000 a year compared to recent years when it has been at about 200,000 a year.

Sarah Mulley of IPPR and author of the report had the following to say:
"There has been a lot of talk about capping immigration from various groups, and close to an election those calls are becoming stronger,"... "But people are often vague about outlining how it would work in practice."

UK immigration is an important election issue. It seems that 2010 will see tougher immigration controls and possible numerical limits on immigration. It is hoped that if there is a Conservative Government that the new Government will realise quickly that a numerical limit on immigration is both unworkable and is not in the long term interests of the UK.

If you wish to gain entry to the UK under a Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa or another visa category you should consider applying sooner rather than later. Changes in UK immigration policy could make it harder in future for skilled workers, students and family members to gain entry to the UK.

here is a general article by the daily mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/election/article-1264333/GENERAL-ELECTION-2010-Under-Labour-nearly-UK-jobs-taken-foreigners.html

Some one made a interesting comment on Conservative 'capping plans' stating that theye can't by european law cap immigration from eastern EU countries so can only do so by capping the countries that need visas

How it effects us .. I cant really see any justification on capping spouse visas , or even family visit visas .. i am sure the capping will be aimed at teir 1&2 workers , also students .. the language tests may get harder but i am only guessing .

David5o

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:49:39 am »
Mark...

I have no-problem whatsoever with any government restricting the ever growing immigration into the UK. But i say that with a proviso, ...That any ''FULL'' UK citizen should have a simplified facility to bring his/her spouse into the UK, or Fiance to marry within the UK.
If that meant i would have to be guarantor and being held responsible for her keeping to the rules/restrictions of her visa, ...then so be it!!

I would hope that were all responsible for our actions. So if things didn't work out, then it's up to YOU!! To then make sure that the fiancee, or possibly even your wife (estranged) is repatriated in a suitable manner to their country of origin. If not, then you become both legally and financially solely responsible to the government for any and all deviations from her visa restrictions.... It can't be fairer than that!!

David.......

Offline UK Mark

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:05:43 am »
To be fair to the govt , I cant complain about process of bringing my spouse to the UK , Married Jan , Applied for Visa 26th March , approval 9th April .. Cant realistically get better or faster than that , all of course subject to resonable proof of relationship and marraige.

I agree on the husband being guarantor and so held accountable for the spouses actions whilst in the uk and in the case of seperating

The whole immigration debate/issue  is really about illegal immigration and workers immigration from other EU countries

The crazy situation of not checking which people actually left the country was in my view boarderline insane and a total lack of control , but then i also think the decision to allow unlimited EU workers into the country was unwise.I think we are only one of three countries that decided to allow that , hense the camps outside the channel tunnel in france
The issue of Marraige to me is totally different and a UK citizen should be entitled to marry and be with whoever he decides .. of course some scammers have abused the system but then its a difficult route for them .. two to three years of proving a marraige is real is by my thinking fair , sham marraiges do happen , but the majority of immigration abuse is false student and of course illegal entry.

Quote from: 'David5o' pid='36630' dateline='1270993779'

Mark...

I have no-problem whatsoever with any government restricting the ever growing immigration into the UK. But i say that with a proviso, ...That any ''FULL'' UK citizen should have a simplified facility to bring his/her spouse into the UK, or Fiance to marry within the UK.
If that meant i would have to be guarantor and being held responsible for her keeping to the rules/restrictions of her visa, ...then so be it!!

I would hope that were all responsible for our actions. So if things didn't work out, then it's up to YOU!! To then make sure that the fiancee, or possibly even your wife (estranged) is repatriated in a suitable manner to their country of origin. If not, then you become both legally and financially solely responsible to the government for any and all deviations from her visa restrictions.... It can't be fairer than that!!

David.......
Dreams can come true

David5o

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:21:14 am »
Mark,

As far as i understand it, there is no restriction on workers from any EU country, to any other EU country. That's why everyone in the EU now has an EU passport. We are all now EU Citizens...  Where they went wrong is allowing some of the Eastern European countries into the EU in the first place. They just aren't ready to be integrated in the EU, and have been, ....and will continue to be a drain on the financial issues of the EU for many years to come!!

The camps you talk about in France by the channel tunnel and other crossings, were/are mainly filled with Middle Eastern and Indian sub continent nationals, France didn't want anything to do with them, nor any other EU country they passed through.... But then again, these immigrants didn't want to go to these countries either, they know full well what side of the bread is buttered for them ...lol!!

David....
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:06:44 pm by David5o »

Offline UK Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:43:04 pm »
David,
Yes the problem is the eastern european countries and although its widely believed there are no eu work restrictions anywhere in the eu , this is wrong

here is a bbc link from april 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3513889.stm

only UK , Ireland and Sweden opened its labour markets to all new member states immediately in 2004

curbs from other countries can only be valid for 7 years (may 2011) because free movement of workers is a fundamental right in the EU

As for the camps in france  i totally agree with you , if people cross many countries to try and get to ours not on an asylum need but an economic want then there is to much butter on the too sweet bread being offered !!
Dreams can come true

David5o

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »
Mark.

Yes your right, ...totally forgot about those two eastern block countries being blocked from most of the original EU countries.
But then it only lasts for 7 years or 2014.... I don't think however there is any restrictions imposed on traveling throughout the EU for them, seems that the restrictions only apply to ''working'' in those EU countries....

Bulgaria and Romania are bad news, ...Really!!!  Crime of every shape and form are a way of life to these people!!!

David....