Author Topic: Printing Addresses in Chinese  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
Printing Addresses in Chinese
« on: April 19, 2010, 01:05:30 am »
Hello Everybody,

I was trying to print a note in chinese earlier this year and run into a problem with printing chinese charactors. They show up on the screen when I type them out in the word program but when I send the letter to the printer it only prints some of the charactors. I am guessing that the problem might be with the software that came with the printer. Has anybody come across this problem and did you find a fix? I want to send my lady a card and if I have to put the address down in chinese too I may have to try to print it out.

I have looked in the threads to see if there was a thread on this but I have not come across one yet. If there is please point me in the right direction. Thanks for any help in advance.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
RE: Printing Addresses in Chinese
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:27:46 am »
One solution you could try is to get a screenshot of the label in Chinese and print the screenshot as an image.  My printer printed Chinese fine though.  Weird error.  Maybe someone else has an idea.
...as irresistible as chocolate

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:54:49 am »
Dave,

when i was in the states i had Sisi email me her address in english and chinese
and i then printed it out from the email and pasted it on the box or envelope
that i sent.

i also had one laminated like an oversize business card and i had that in my
wallet for when i was out venturing and wanted to take a taxi home when i
first got there when she was working

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:34:13 am »
PDF it, so that even if your printer "no speaka da chinese", it can see it as black blobs on white background & print it out. Just as you can appreciate a Chinese beauty without really needing to speak Chinese, so your printer can print it without understanding it (text recognition). :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 02:42:30 am by odysseus007 »
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

Vince G

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:58:45 am »
These are all ways around it?

But, try going to the printer manuf. site and download a printer language program (chinese simplified) from them? if possible. The software they packaged with the printer most likely only touched on the symbols needed to print (printer to understand).

shaun

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:14 am »
Dave,

I use Microsoft Word, the Vista version.  It has the character fonts in there.  I type the address in English into Google translate and copy that plus the English version of the address into a word file and saved it.  It work when I printed it.  Then I held the piece of paper up to the web cam and asked Peggy if this makes sense to here.  She said yes, my address.  I have sent 2 packages and flowers to her.  It has worked every time.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas to try. I know it was a weird error Neil. I was surprised that it only printed about half the chinese charactors that were sent to it. I never thought to try printing it as an image though.

I will try the manufacturers web site for software up dates that will include simplified chinese charactors Vince.

I will try to print it as a PDF file too Larry.

Shaun,

I was using microsoft word for XP. I was trying to print it on a HP deskjet 4200 printer. It still baffles me as to why it would only print about half the charactors. You would think it would print all of them or none of them.

Ted,

I have an older hp deskjet printer that I still use because the ink was waterproof. (I think it still is) I will print up the address in english as well as chinese for the same reason. I would not want to get in a cab and tell him the wrong address by mistake and then find myself in a KTV bar, or worse a brothel! Or maybe in the wrong town. How would I explain that to my lady? :icon_cheesygrin: I can see her putting up posters all over china, "Lost one foreigner. 175 cm tall. Bald on top. Has canadian flag pin on shirt. Not worth much but want him back for sentimental reasons. Doesn't speak much chinese..." HAHAHA

Back on topic now, Thanks for all the tips to try. I will let you know what works.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.