Author Topic: Vive la difference!  (Read 1729 times)

Paul Todd

Vive la difference!
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:16:43 pm »
Vive la difference!

'WESTERN customs are not without similarities to those of China,and if at times they diverge a little, it is not surprising in view of the tens of thousands of miles which separate these two regions of the world. But they can be in complete contrast, a few examples of which follow:

In China, the place of honour is on the left, in the West it is on the right. Men are held in higher regard than women on Chinese soil; in the West it is the other way round.

On Chinese soil, doors and windows are left wide open; in the West, doors, and gateways are there to be closed. In China, people find it more comfortable to change out of their formal clothes before sitting down to table, while in the West it is impossible to attend a banquet without dressing for the occasion. It is the same in the home. In China, the role of women is to serve and care for others; in the West, it is they who give the orders: the husband obeys.

"In China, a man's place is out of doors, a woman's, inside the house; what is said indoors never goes beyond the walls of the inner apartments; what is said outside does not enter the home. This is why a woman who stays at home and never goes out is highly regarded for her fine virtue. In the West, the women think of nothing but going out; the streets are full of their skirts and their jewelery. They mingle with passers-by and the husband has no right to stop his wife from going out, if he does so, he risks being prosecuted and thrown into prison. In China, people of the opposite sex must not touch one another while handing something over; in the West, when a man and woman shake hands it is only an expression of respect.

"In China, drinking cold water is advised against in order to avoid stomach ache, while in the West it is a way of dealing with the heat. In China, wine is warmed before drinking; in the West, it is only drunk chilled. In China the main dishes are served first and the soup comes afterwards, in the West the soup is the first course. ... In China, the eating of beef is avoided because that animal is essential for work. In the West, the horse is used for work and the ox is only for eating.

"In China, women dress to protect their bodies; they would feel the greatest shame if they exposed any part of themselves. In the West they uncover their shoulders and their breast and also allow their underwear to be seen. ...
"In China, young people do not let their beards or side whiskers grow; it is only when they reach maturity that they give up shaving. In the West, it is the other way round.

"In China, it would be impolite to appear bare-headed; on the contrary, people's head wear is chosen to fit the occasion; in the West, it is considered correct to take off one's hat. ...

"The Chinese bend their fingers to count on them, while Westerners straighten them out. ...

"The Chinese peel vegetables or fruit with the knife-blade facing away from them; in the West, it is turned inwards. ...

"In China, when the head of the household has people to dinner; the mistress retires and does not meet the guests. In the West, she must not only keep them company, but shake the hand of the guest of honour and take his arm on sitting down and on leaving the table.

"In China, when people met, they normally ask one another's name before talking about the weather. In the West, people plunge into conversation without troubling about such niceties, and only exchange visiting cards if the talk naturally leads them to do so.

"In China, the upper floors of a house are the most respectable, contrary to practice in the West.

"In China, women's hair is admired for its sheen, for the subtle way in which it is groomed, and for its blackness. In the West, people like curly or wavy hair worn loose, and a deep yellow shade. Chinese ladies pride themselves on letting their nails grow long and pointed; Western ladies take pains to trim theirs and think their nails beautiful when they are rounded like the end of a mallet.

"In China, white is the colour of mourning and red that of marriage and joy. In the West, white stands for joy, while black is the colour of mourning. In China, the hands and face are washed after a meal; in the West, before.

"In China, black is worn to do dirty jobs, in the West, it is the colour of formal dress.

"Chinese women would feel humiliated and insulated to be watched and appraised. In the West, women are flattered to be observed and inspected by all and sundry and take this as a compliment.

"The Chinese goverment prides itself on endevouring to reduce taxes and lighten duties, while in the West people unhesitatingly accept arbitrary taxation and exorbitant impositions. In China, rich families fill their stores and attics, while in the West the wealthy invest their money outside.

"In China, women but not men are repelled by the idea of showing their naked bodies; in the West, the opposite is the case.

The above was taken from a UNESCO doc. dated 16/05/09
Do you guy's who have been there agree with the "suits" view?
Wish I could be paid to write this stuff :)

Scottish_Rob

RE: Vive la difference!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 06:48:48 pm »
Wow...:huh:..So many things to learn, to remember, to do........But hey it will all be worth it in the long run.  The only thing I can say is thank God I am reading up on the culture......and I am not going til November:)

Paul Todd

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:02:50 pm »
Problem is I'm feeling like Homer Simpson, my head can only hold so much. Every time I learn something  I have to forget something to make room!

Offline maxx

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:32:54 pm »
Paul thats really interesting and most of it is true.But There is a couple of them that are off a little.

I have talked to Chinese men and women both in English and Chinese about everything.Without knowing there names.

I have seen pictures and videos of naked women in China.(No Chong it wasn't that kind of video)It was art material or that is what my wife told me.  half shirts and short shorts have made a big debut in the south of China.And in Beijing..Even seen a couple of g string panties on my last trip to China.

Head wear in China is not a requirment anymore.

Paul from what I seen and experienced in China.The rest of it is right on.

Offline Chong

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 10:54:41 pm »
Maxx, ... weird ... I went into the XXX store and asked for "Art Material" and they didn't know what I was talking about  :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:56:31 pm by Chong »