Author Topic: Uk Passport Renewals  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Uk Passport Renewals
« on: April 30, 2010, 04:07:01 am »
Just received the following email from the British Consul General  in Guanzhou.

I think it is self explanatory.

Willy

Greetings from the British Consulate-General Guangzhou.

From 3 May 2010 the British Embassy in Beijing will no longer issue passports.  British nationals will need to send passport applications to our passport processing centre in Hong Kong. Please visit http://ukinchina.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/ and also see the information below.

Grateful if you could also recommend your British colleagues/friends to register with us on https://www.locate.fco.gov.uk/locateportal if they haven't done so, so that we can get in touch with British national in case of crisis and keep everyone informed of important changes in the future.

Kind regards,
Consular Section
British Consulate-General Guangzhou

Applying for a British Passport in China

British passports for those applying in China are now issued in Hong Kong. Please visit http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/apply-from-ne-asia/china  for guidance on how to apply.
Passport applications take 10 working days to process from the receipt of a correctly completed and paid for application, plus 4 days courier time. There is no fast-track service available.  Applications are dealt with strictly in the order that they are received and are not prioritised, except for in the most compelling compassionate circumstances. It is therefore essential that you apply for your passport well in advance of your planned travel date.

Applications for full passports received by the British Embassy in Beijing cannot be processed and will be returned to the applicant.

Lost and stolen passport applications

If your previous passport has been lost or stolen in China you will need to report the loss in person to the police and at the British Embassy in Beijing before you apply to Hong Kong. Please contact the British Embassy in Beijing for further advice.

Applying for a British Passport in the UK

You may also apply to the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) in person whilst visiting the UK. In order to do this, you need to make an appointment with IPS in the UK and you must provide an address in the UK to which the passport may be posted. Applicants will have to be available at this address to sign for the receipt of the passport. Please note that IPS do not accept applications by post or e-mail if you live abroad. You will find all the forms you need and instructions on the IPS website.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:07:26 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

David5o

RE: Uk Passport Renewals
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 07:15:19 pm »
Willy,

Makes you wonder what the hell these Embassy's/consulates actually do, Do!!! We have just been informed that the Embassy here in Cyprus will no longer be issueing passport renewals also, instead you have to send applications for renewal to Madrid in Spain, .....Reason ....Security!!!!!!!! I wonder just how many of these applications are going to get ''Lost in the Post'' ??
Every British Embassy/Consulate i've ever been in, has been, a bloody joke!!!!

David....

Paul Todd

Re: Uk Passport Renewals
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:14:06 pm »
Every time I have been to the British Embassy in Bejing the staff have been very knowledgeable and friendly. They organised all the paperwork I needed to get married including translations all bound in a nice folder, overnight ! and even wished us every success for the future. I renewed my passport there before they stopped this service. It was supposed to take 10 days with no exceptions. I explained I needed mine faster than that and got it in 6 days. Then I went to ask them about the documents I needed to take my wife and her daughter over to the UK for a months holiday. They politely explained that it was another department that handled that but never the less photocopied all the forms and gave me all the information I needed to fill them in correctly.They even answered more queries I had by e-mail very promptly even though they where under no obligation to help at all. The proof of this was when we submitted the documents my wife and daughter where issued 6 month multiple entry visa's in 2 days. I can not recommend the British Embassy in Beijing highly enough, professional ,approachable and very very helpful.

ttwjr32

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 12:23:38 am »
after being at the british consolate in GZ with Willy it sounds to me that the embassy is far more
helpful for the UK citizens

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:26:30 pm »
There was one major problem to my visit to the UK Consulate in GZ.  It came dressed in a huge flowery shirt!!!! ;D

They thought Danno's mate had walked in!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:58:57 am »
Book em