Author Topic: CHINESE LABOR DAY HOLIDAY  (Read 4466 times)

ttwjr32

CHINESE LABOR DAY HOLIDAY
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:49:42 am »
Just in case you didnt know this May 1 is the chinese labor day holiday so since it is saturday they get off work monday. so my wife has a day off Monday. Maybe some of your wives and girlfriends have monday off also?

Arnold

RE: CHINESE LABOR DAY HOLIDAY
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27:00 am »
Yes Ted , lucky me .. taking the whole week off and going to Vegas . Before that , it's the second try for Qing at the driving test .

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:11:27 pm »
Well when she passes the test let her drive I15 to Vegas good stretch
of road for her to get the even more practice.  have fun!

shaun

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:26:29 pm »
I heard it was a 5 day holiday.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:58:33 pm »
Do they take the test over a stretch of straight road!!   Just asking!

Of course they do not have to learn with a stick gear change there either!   Some make driving test s too easy.

The maxim here is drive as mad as you can but do not hit another car or a foreigner.  Bikes and pedestrians and the occasional motor bike or scooter, well that is OK.

Mind you I am on my May Day holiday - see you all on Tuesday!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 10:03:13 pm »
used to be but the govt changed that years ago

rockycoon

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 01:55:33 am »
if she can drive in Vegas at night, she can drive anywhere.  No fair driving on the straight streach, you set the cruse control and
on till morning, keeping it between the ditches with the shiny side up and the dirty side down.  Don't go over Hoover Dam (called bolder dam now), as they search every car.  Thought my SCUBA tanks were bombs, I told her no, just torpedo's, then she asked what was
in them...I told her air of course.  Hummmm....homeland security ???

But take her to see the new bridge, it's totally awsome, huge and inspiring.  At night it's lit up, and looks like some sort of huge
monster looming out of the darkness.  You will like it.

What's with all the holidays ??   The Chinese seem to have more than us.  Everytime I log on, they are having another holiday.  When does any work get done?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:57:42 am by rockycoon »

ttwjr32

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »
no they dont have more than us in the states if you also include
the crappy ones the state people get off

Arnold

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 01:32:55 pm »
Today is Qing's endurance Test at Driving . We will go 45 miles to the S.F. Valley ( not Frisco ) and across the whole Valley too . That should give her a total of over Hundred miles for the day . All kinds of situations ; Freeway and busy service street's with plenty of chances NOT to hit any People crossing the Road . She has two more day's before the second Driving Test and I really think without Rain she should Pass it , if the nervous factor doesn't take over .

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »
so how did she do on the endurance test Arnold??

rockycoon

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 12:49:54 am »
You mean if the driving tester doesn't jump out and run like hell...haha  :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

ttwjr32

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 01:14:42 pm »
we didnt hear how she did on the test  i guess no news is good news

shaun

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:23:35 pm »
Ted,

I am still very confused about the Chinese Labor Day.  I was first told, Peggy's sister I think, that the holiday was 5 days long and the Chinese government was closed for all 5 days.  Then I think you told me that it was only 1 day, Monday and the the offices would be closed Sat-Mon.  Then twice, Saturday and Monday Peggy told me she had to go to the government offices in Shaoguan.  :huh:  And I am not sure but I think the sql errors are because the server doesn't know when to be opened or closed.  Much like me right now.

Since you live there can you shed any light?

Willy if you have an understanding of this help us please Oh Most High Huevos War Lord.

Shaun
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:25:38 pm by shaun »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 08:46:48 pm »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='38546' dateline='1273706615'

Ted,

I am still very confused about the Chinese Labor Day.  I was first told, Peggy's sister I think, that the holiday was 5 days long and the Chinese government was closed for all 5 days.  Then I think you told me that it was only 1 day, Monday and the the offices would be closed Sat-Mon.  Then twice, Saturday and Monday Peggy told me she had to go to the government offices in Shaoguan.  :huh:  And I am not sure but I think the sql errors are because the server doesn't know when to be opened or closed.  Much like me right now.

Since you live there can you shed any light?

Willy if you have an understanding of this help us please Oh Most High Huevos War Lord.

Shaun

All I can say is that the my Bank was closed on the Saturday and also the Monday.  

My wifes niece had her staff working on the Monday in her small factory!

I am  as confused as you Shaun but that is a normal state for me.  I have been here for only 11 months so far so obviously not enough time to work out the complexities of the Chinese mind.:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 08:31:26 am »
Originally May day (or Labour day depending on where you are from and this is not the North American one) was 7 days long.  Then they broke it up because having a week-long holiday was really disruptive to the economy (and the weeks leading up to it getting fubar'ed).  So as I understand it, labour day is now a 3 day holiday.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen