Author Topic: Chongqing Tornado  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Chongqing Tornado
« on: May 06, 2010, 12:10:35 am »
Anyone have ladies or relative in Chongqing?  This happend early this morning.

Willy
At least 23 people were killed and more than 160 injured when a tornado struck China's southwestern mega-city of Chongqing Thursday, smashing homes and destroying crops, officials and state media said.
The tornado -- followed by torrential rains, hail storms and high winds -- hit two rural counties in the giant municipality at around 2:00 am (1800 GMT Wednesday), Xinhua news agency said, citing government sources.
Officials were working to tally the number of dead and injured, as well as the number of homes damaged.
"Tornados never happened here in the past -- this is the first time," Liu Fang, a local township official in Liangping county, one of the hardest-hit areas, told AFP by phone.
"So far, six have died and 38 are injured in our township. The electricity has been cut, and some houses were damaged due to the strong wind. We're still gathering information on the toll."
The injured were being brought to local hospitals while tents were being set up for those whose homes were destroyed, Li said.
Torrential rains have been falling over the region since the tornado struck, he added.
"Basically, collapses to old houses was very serious, while newly built brick homes were only damaged," an official in Xinmin township told AFP.
"We're still gathering information about the disaster."
According to the People's Daily, the Communist Party's mouthpiece, as many as 1,000 homes in six towns had at least partially collapsed in the storm, while thousands of others were damaged.
Power was cut in several areas, many roads in the region were blocked, and bridges also suffered damage, the report said.
The cost of damage in the six towns was expected to surpass 20 million yuan (almost three million dollars), it added, citing preliminary estimates.
Chongqing has a population of more than 30 million people.
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

rockycoon

RE: Chongqing Tornado
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 01:14:42 am »
Knowing how those homes are built, especially in the poorer regions.  And after hearing from the brothers on here,  I feel very
sorry for those people.  Those homes can collapse like a deck of cards with a serious tornado and torrential rains.  They know
nothing of having tornado shelters under the house like in Kansas which gets hit regularly.:-/

Offline Cam

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 04:51:50 am »
I've got quite a few friends (teachers & students) living in towns all around CQ but none are on line atm, looks like I'm lucky I escaped the scumbags I was working for a couple of weeks ago (CUFLI) & got back to Aus.
I was in Fuling about 2 hours east by bus, hopefully not too much damage but with a bit of luck it might have given the city a wash..........filthy dust covered place.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:33:55 am »
I have some lady friends in CQ who are not online as of yet..I hope they are all ok...:huh:

Arnold

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:25:37 pm »
And here I was just last week .. trying to explain to Qing what a Tornado is . She never heard of one in the area around Shanghai or elsewhere . This will show her , what they are and how destructive they can be .

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 07:33:50 pm »
Cam,

it sounds and reads like you had a bad experience with the school you taught for.
maybe a thread for people considering this (teaching) with some of the things they
need to look out for before they accept the position.  maybe the access to the internet
was interupted by the tornado

Offline Cam

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:27:29 am »
The school I worked for was great and the students were fantastic, I signed on with an agency called CUFLI who place teachers all over CQ, their sole purpose was to rip as much off employees as possible, I'll do a thread on them soon.:@

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 07:39:49 am »
aoooww...
I know RobertB often goes over there... :s
So I hope everything is ok for him and his lady.

Too bad about that tornado, but well... most of homes are not really strong, so..
And that's also amazing to hear that a tornado could have been there...
What a f.....g weather !
- Let's Rock -

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:16:06 am »
Thanks Sylvain , all are safe and well in CQ , regards Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info