Author Topic: Things just got more difficult for the British!  (Read 3810 times)

Offline mustfocus

Re: Things just got more difficult for the British!
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 02:50:05 pm »
Hey Dave,

Actually for us, I would make it a requirement that you need at least a basic understanding of at least one official language (most likely dependent on where you live here).  If you can learn the basics of both, then more power too you!  You increase the chances of getting employed.  But I want people to be able to at least be able to communicate things like help, I'm lost, yes, no, etc.  They don't need to be able to discuss the theories on foot-traffic in downtown Toronto (at least at first), but just enough stuff to help them stay safe when they get here.  After that, it's up to them to expand upon what they know.

Mike: Have you learned to eat poutine yet?  ;D
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 07:52:46 pm »
You what poutine is??

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 08:09:25 pm »
Poutine will give you a heart attack.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 09:41:48 pm »
Poutine is french fries, cheese curd, and gravy. Very yummy!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 10:01:01 pm »
The thing is I don't believe the government is doing it for these reasons, I think it's a cheap shot at trying to curb immigration. Did you know that an anagram of the new prime minister's name is " random advice" coincidence I think not!
I am with Paul. We know how UK governments work.  They announce this one day then the following day they say University fees will have to rise considerably.  This results in fewer youngsters going to Uni.  That leaves the way open to get many more foreign students in who pay high fees.  These students need visas to stay here for the duration of their couses.  They know that these extra visas will show on the figures and and to keep them down they restrict entry to the a section that is easier to control.

Who is to say how difficult they can make the questioning. The private offices that run the visa sections for the UK Gov. could use words that even I do not know the meaning of just to keep their rejection quota up. 

Next the UK Gov will be introducing English lessons at an enormous fee and only people who have attended a complete course will be able to go to the UK to live.

Mind you I am an immigrant myself now.   Hope the gov. do not make a rule about learning Chinese before I can stay longer!!!!!!!!!!!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 11:59:42 am »
thats an interesting observation Willy. are the universities in england controled by the
government or are they completely seperate entities? just curious

• Board Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 04:47:10 am »
Ted like here in China they like to think that they are seperate entities.  But in reality that is far from the truth.

In England they are all public schools.  Except for public schools which are ALL private!  Great being English isn't it?

Takes us back to cricket ' batsman is out when he is in etc etc'

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Philip

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 05:19:09 am »
No, Willy,
the most important cricketing expression is this classic piece of commentary:
The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willy ;D

• Board Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 07:59:55 am »
Ahh yes. I forgot that classic from Brian Johnson.

For the sake on Non Englishman.  Michael Holding was the batsman at the time Graham Willy was bowling.  Brian Johnson was the English commentator

It is like the other classic never to be repeated.  Well not tis year at least  In the dying seconds of the 1966 world cup final England were beating Germany.   The commentator was saying 'People are on the pitch. They think it is all over' in that split second we scored another goal and without a pause in breath he added' It is now"

Willy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:02:28 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Paul Todd

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 10:02:45 am »
Willy

There are so many great cricket classic's and that was one of them ,but I always liked the Australian fan who called  to England spinner Phil Tufnell.  "Oy Tuffers, can I borrow your brain. I'm building an idiot." ...

ttwjr32

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2010, 10:06:15 am »
1966 is a year i would have to watch on the highlite reels to young to remember lol!!!!!!

brett

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2010, 06:29:24 am »
By the looks of yesterday's budget (particularly the corporation tax cuts), the UK government is starting to realise that money is leaking eastwards.

I don't really think they know the scale of how much business in sectors such as IT has moved out of the UK. While people can bleat on and on about welfare, the fact is in a couple of decades there won't be any business left to support all the hangers on in UK society  >:(.

Paul Todd

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2010, 07:09:12 am »
It is said that the worth of any society can be measured by the manner in which it treats its weakest members. Surely we should be raising these people up, Brett not putting them down!

ttwjr32

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2010, 12:17:10 pm »
good point Paul and every nation should practice this. why is it when there are issues the political parties seem to look to cut in areas
were the cuts shouldnt be made and blame obvious things and issues which are irrelevant to the root cause of the problems to begin with
guess this is why im not a politician