Author Topic: Things just got more difficult for the British!  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Things just got more difficult for the British!
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:05:06 am »
The following has just been announced by the new British Government today.

You fellars still hoping to get your lady to the UK had better send her for English lessons.   It is just another way of cutting immigration to the UK.  Some of you men better get ready for a longer separation or come here to work!   So now you do not have to just prove your marriage is genuine and that they do not need financial support - they have added speaking English.

Willy

English rules tightened for immigrant partners

The new measures will apply to marriages and civil partnerships

Ministers are bringing forward to the autumn measures requiring many immigrants marrying UK citizens to prove they have a command of English.

The measures, which Labour had planned to introduce in July 2011, will apply to partners coming to the UK from areas outside the EU, such as South Asia.

Home Secretary Theresa May said the move would "help promote integration".

Campaigners said they supported efforts to help immigrants learn English, but the plans were discriminatory.

Under the new rules, anyone from outside the EU applying for a visa to join their spouse or partner will have to prove they have a basic command of English, to help them get by in daily life, before their application is approved.

The measure applies to same-sex partners.
At present, visa applicants have to show only that their marriage or partnership is genuine and that they can financially support themselves.
The home secretary said: "I believe being able to speak English should be a pre-requisite for anyone who wants to settle here. The new English requirement for spouses will help promote integration, remove cultural barriers and protect public services.
"It is a privilege to come to the UK and that is why I am committed to raising the bar for migrants and ensuring that those who benefit from being in Britain contribute to our society.
"This is only the first step. We are currently reviewing English language requirements across the visa system with a view to tightening the rules further in the future."
In 2009, 59,000 people from outside the EU were granted a visa to live with their partner in the UK.
Officials estimate that the new language test will lead to 10% fewer applications overall and it is likely to affect most the UK's Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities.
The spousal visa allows someone to stay for two years, after which they can apply for indefinite leave to remain. Applicants must then pass a further test on life and language in the UK.
Hina Majid, of the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants, said she supported helping immigrants to learn English, but the plans were discriminatory.
"Take the young girl [from a developing country] who meets the love of her life and wants to come over here to be with him," said Ms Majid. "It may take her several years to pass and in that time they may not be able to live together in the UK.
"It's unnecessary, it's costly and it will tear migrant families apart."
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

Re: Things just got more difficult for the British!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 03:36:35 am »
well thats sad news for everyone involved!!!  and i am sure the usa will follow suit also after they see this!!! and maybe a few more countries.
i guess they think with all the economic problems out there this might help solve some of it which is exactly what they do when there is a
problem look in the other direction.

also i guess Sara and I will have to put up with you since you cant take Angel back to the UK  lol!!!!!!!!

just joking dont get your feathers ruffled   hahahaha

brett

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:33:52 am »
Who cares? Anyone with any sense (or money) will leave this sinking ship anyway  >:(.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:10:28 am »
Pretty draconian for the ones already settled there and contributing to society and paying taxes. Will they be forced from their houses which they own and deported?, unworkable in my opinion. Would hate to to see the same thing happen in Ireland.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:40:26 am »
It will not affect anyone who already has a visa. 

Before the visa is granted in China they will have to prove their English capabilities before getting a visa to get to UK.

Brett I think the word is out through the World and it is unlikely you will get residency anywhere.!!! Well you must have upset half the world now and that was only in the past six months!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:44:06 am »
Irishman,

While I think of it. How easy is it to get a visa to visit Ireland.   

A visitor visa for the UK cost 750 rmb  wonder if it is cheaper to take my wife for a holiday in Ireland then we can travel to UK as a visa in Ireland will allow her to travel with me into UK. ;)

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Vince G

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 08:32:51 am »
As Ted said the US will follow this lead. But it won't be for the latino population here. There are some (most) that have been here 30-40 years and not know one word of english? I wonder if this is just aimed at Asia or not?

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 08:55:18 am »
Actually, to be honest, I don't mind requiring people having to have a basic knowledge of the language to immigrate here.  I don't know about the test of UK history part, but making sure my lady is not trapped in the house (even if it is only at first) is a good thing (and I live in a chinese area).

That part I don't see being harsh.  A basic level of communication is necessary.  But beyond that, the rest should be up to the person.

(again, I don't know about having knowledge about UK history or lifestyle is that critical at first)
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

ttwjr32

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:05:09 pm »
Vince,

i hope if it starts in the USA they do include everyone. that would be pretty pathetic if they just single out the asian population
dont you think?? but then again we are talking about the good old govt so nothing should really surprise us any more

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 07:28:51 pm »
Mustfocus,

I do agree with you to a point, with Canada would they have to learn french and english, seeing as these are both our official languages? This could be worth keeping an eye on.
 ???
Dave C
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 07:31:44 pm by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 08:05:57 pm »

in six months I learned to speak "Eh"

Mike O.

This will be required learning for all canadian imigrants! Hahahaha!!! ;D

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:29:59 pm »
Irishman,

While I think of it. How easy is it to get a visa to visit Ireland.   

A visitor visa for the UK cost 750 rmb  wonder if it is cheaper to take my wife for a holiday in Ireland then we can travel to UK as a visa in Ireland will allow her to travel with me into UK. ;)

Willy

Interesting question Willy, i have no Idea is the answer! probably best to write to the Irish embassy in Beijing for the answer on that one - http://www.embassyofireland.cn/Ireland/Visa_Information/indexContact.htm

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 09:33:08 pm »
Interestingly Willy, I have read that people with expired visas here can drive/take bus/train etc to Northern Ireland (no border checks any more) and from there they get the ferry to Scotland or Wales and no checks on that either as is all in the UK.

Paul Todd

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 10:54:35 am »
This test only applies to non EU citizens who want a visa to live with their partner in the UK, not tourists or people already settled.  Surly this is not a bad thing. To function in any country you have to have a rudimentary understanding of the language and I believe it will help integration and foster understanding between communities. The thing is I don't believe the government is doing it for these reasons, I think it's a cheap shot at trying to curb immigration. Did you know that an anagram of the new prime minister's name is " random advice" coincidence I think not!

ttwjr32

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 12:45:49 pm »
Paul,

as usual an interesting observation. and i agree a shot at curbing immigration