Author Topic: Kansas City Dragon Boat Festival  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
Kansas City Dragon Boat Festival
« on: June 10, 2010, 12:57:31 am »
Well I will be going to Kansas City's 6th annual Dragon Boat festival.  I am kinda excited to see the the boat races and the other performances.  Anyone else having a festival near them?
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline Chong

Re: Kansas City Dragon Boat Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:41:32 am »
The one here in Kaiping is happening next Wednesday to coincide with the making of sticky rice wrapped in bamboo leaves. I don't wish any participant to fall into the Tanjiang River; it's polluted as hell. The Cangjiang River in front of our condo is so poluuted, I once saw a cattle carcass floating in the water. Down the street from our place are the houseboats where I once saw a woman chopping the boiled cat's paws into the water. These boatpeople also use these same water to wash their hair & clothes and to boil their meals.

We can hear the people practicing at night by listening to the sounds of the drumbeats row by.

My wife said that the Dragonboat Races are held to honour a dead Chinese poet who perished in the sea many centuries ago. Chinese people make the rice bamboo food and toss it into the sea to feed his soul.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that competitions are held now so the local winners will all race in the big annual Hong Kong Boat Festival.

Josh ... are they serving the famous K.C BBQ at your race ?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:43:47 am by Chong »

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:42:15 pm »
Our race is being held at Brush Creek which is also polluted due to the way kansas city sewer system was built.  We will have some local Chinese dance acadamies doing traditional dances.  A kansas city kung fu master and his students.  And I am hoping some delicious dumplings.  And of course the races. 

Josh ... are they serving the famous K.C BBQ at your race ?
Kansas City B.B.Q is served at every event here.  And two of the most famous b.b.q joints are in walking distance from the race.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:21:51 pm »

My wife said that the Dragonboat Races are held to honour a dead Chinese poet who perished in the sea many centuries ago. Chinese people make the rice bamboo food and toss it into the sea to feed his soul.

From what I have read his name is Qu Yuan he was a Scholar who drowned himself after he was charged with conspiracy, and exiled.  People rushed to save him.  So the festival is about those who tried to save him.  Anyway just what I read haha.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Arnold

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:02:20 pm »
On the 16th , Qing and I will have our own Dragon Boat Festival ... inside our Spa . Her on one side and me on the other .
Ready .. Set .. Goooo ! We'll meet in the middle and we have TWO winner's .

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 09:49:39 pm »
So Sad I will be going alone to mine. Haha
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

ttwjr32

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 01:12:20 pm »
far to much information Arnold for the forum lol!!!

shaun

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 07:20:32 pm »
Ted,

With nothing better to do Peggy and I have been conducting our own personal Dragon Boat races.

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 08:32:09 pm »
Shaun, I can only direct you to Ted's comment but substitute your name for Arnold's.  Glad you are having fun though.  Are you eating zongzi to keep your energy up though?

cheers Jason
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.