Author Topic: Alternative Housing?  (Read 1319 times)

Paul Todd

Alternative Housing?
« on: June 15, 2010, 02:16:44 am »
A 78 year old man Huang Rixin  has built 8 units of “Capsule Apartments” in Liulangzhuang, Haidian district in Beijing. Each unit is less than 2 square meters, but in the unit tenant can lie down, sit, watch TV and go on the internet. After Huang Rixin accidentally saw the Capsule hotel from Japan in  anewspaper last year, he had the idea of building his own “Capsule Apartment”. He stated that building this kind of apartment is not for making money; he only wants to solve the transitional housing problem for college students who just graduated from college.
Today, the designer of the apartment huang Rixin was pleased and said, “someone is renting, that means my design was acknowledged.”

Or

Shenzhen’s most awesome “snail living group”

Shenzhen’s housing price is raising every day, depressed many people from buying homes.   But many families are “snail living” (蜗居: like a snail in its shell, living in a small home) in the cargo containers. At the Shenzhen 107 freeway entrance, many cargo containers appeared near the streets. The rent for each cargo container is 6 yuan ($0.90) per day.

The cheap prices attracted many new migrants who are carving out their careers in Shenzhen to choose to live in them in order to save money. Cargo containers and the absurd “snail living group” (蜗居族) reflect the helplessness of the migrants in the city! The standard size of the cargo container is 3 by 6 meters (18 square meters). Most of them are occupied by construction workers; they are also bus driver’s resting stops or offices for small companies. There are number of them are even being sold or rented as apartments! Mr. Wang had 2 cargo containers and lived in them for almost 5 years. Plants grow in the open space in front of the “house”, and it also had a fence around the place. Birds sing, flowers give forth fragrances, vines intertwine with each other and trees are full of fruits. Behind him is the heavy trafficked freeway; not far away are the high priced high-rises homes. And this place is like a utopia, peaceful and happy…

Poor people have poor people’s happiness

Rich people have rich people’s sadness

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
Re: Alternative Housing?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 03:35:11 am »
Interesting. I suppose that the blue pail is the toilet?

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Paul Todd

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 03:45:47 am »
That would be my guess!

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:26:59 pm »
As the french would say...Murky Buckets for the information Todd  :o

Of course the Shenzhen part of the article interested me the most.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Crystal Tao

• Chongqing girl forever
    • LoveLoveChina
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 01:54:21 pm »
I am sure, that they have a common restroom and shower, shared by all inhabitants of these apartments.
You'd better pay attention, how she decorates her apartments: girls stay girls EVERYWHERE - even in 1.5 square meters.  :)
LoveLoveChina is my blog about Chinese girls.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 02:23:34 pm »
I am sure, that they have a common restroom and shower, shared by all inhabitants of these apartments.
You'd better pay attention, how she decorates her apartments: girls stay girls EVERYWHERE - even in 1.5 square meters.  :)

That is true. My one daughters closet is larger and she also needs 2 dressers for clothes. Then there is her shoes...  :o

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

rockycoon

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 01:40:30 am »
Those have to be water pails, the crapper is down the block and is a shared system.  Can't think of what it would smell like if
one of those people went away for the weekend and left the pail full.... :o :o :o

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:45:16 am »
I have a book on something like that Rocky. It is called "Up Sh*ts Creek." Funny stories about white water rafting and their experiences using rocket boxes for crappers.  :o :o :o When I come across the book I will post some of the stories in it. Some had me crying I was laughing so hard.   ;D

Dave C
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:42:39 pm by Bee964 »