Author Topic: BEJING  (Read 4419 times)

ttwjr32

BEJING
« on: June 30, 2010, 07:59:36 pm »
 well FINALLY after 10 years of coming to china and living here for almost a year i am finally making it to Bejing. my wife is there
 for business for the next 2 to 3 weeks and i am flying up on friday. will spend the next 2 or 3 weeks there and while she is working
 during the day i will be out venturing and meeting up with her at 4pm each day and we have friday sat and sun all to ourselves

i was looking for the posts about interesting things to do in Bejing and cant find it??  we are staying at a hotel that is close to
 tianehman square so my day will start from there so if anyone who has been there wants to throw some good ideas and sites
at me please let me know. in and around this area

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Re: BEJING
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »
Having never been to Beijing, I will try to help you out with some not so obvious places to visit.  Tienanmen Square, The Forbidden City, The Great Wall Of China, and Olympic Stadium (Bird's Nest).  Hopefully this helps.  If you need more help, you had best ask someone who actually HAS been there.

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 08:51:38 pm »
thanks we are not far from a few of them but i am also looking for a few off the wall
places that were mentioned here once before but i cannot find.

also i will be on a recruitment trip for something we just started with my partner in crime lol!!!!1

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:39:29 pm »
well FINALLY after 10 years of coming to china and living here for almost a year i am finally making it to Bejing. my wife is there  for business for the next 2 to 3 weeks and i am flying up on friday. will spend the next 2 or 3 weeks there and while she is working  during the day i will be out venturing and meeting up with her at 4pm each day and we have friday sat and sun all to ourselves

i was looking for the posts about interesting things to do in Bejing and cant find it??  we are staying at a hotel that is close to  tianehman square so my day will start from there so if anyone who has been there wants to throw some good ideas and sites at me please let me know. in and around this area

Martin mentioned a few, but let's start with the basics...

If you're close to Tiananmen Square, that's a good place to start.  There are a few buildings surrounding the square that aren't too bad.  Then there's the Forbidden City.  Somewhere around there is also a restaurant famous for their Peking duck (search for Quanjude...I think I went to the one on Hepingmen Ave.).

The watchtower (forget the actual name) is also relatively close (towards the east)...

To the south, there is the Temple of Heaven.  You'll find that an interesting park.  A lot of elderly people just relaxing and having a good time there.  To the northwest, you'll need a taxi or bus to get to the summer palace.  Careful as you can get lost there.  There is the Bird's Nest and Watercube to the north.  CCTV tower as well.

Some of the other places to visit... Yong He Gong (Temple of Lamas) is nice...  near there is also the Temple of Earth...  If you like shopping, there's a few places.... WangFuJing... a walking street... little touristy but you can sometimes get a few good bargains there... a better one is New Silk Street Mall.  If you're looking for pearls, HongQiao market (across the street from the Temple of Heaven)...and if you're into amusement parks, Happy Valley is supposed to be fun (haven't been there).  Beijing Zoo's water show was cool.  There are a few other temples that I want to visit so I can't recommend them just yet.

If you're heading out of town (like to visit the Great Wall), you're most likely to go to Badaling... it's a bit far though...I'd say an hour out of the city by car.  Make sure you go visit the Ming Tombs while you're out there... although be careful when you head out there... the trek on even just one section of the great wall can be very exhausting if the weather isn't good... I prefer going there in the winter...cleaner air.

If I think of any more, I'll let you know...

BTW, I remember someone had a tourguide friend in Beijing...forget who it was though.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:21:03 pm »
Where are the Terracota Soldiers...are they near Beijing?

Paul Todd

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:47:35 pm »
Ted, for more than just Temples and the usual tourist sights Try these:-

I love markets so I would recommend a trip to the Panjaiyuan Market also referred to as the Dirt Market. It's a big bustling flea market divided into zones for books, artwork, ceramics, and lots of other stuff. It's open every day from 5am up to 6pm. You can get to it on the subway, get off at Jingsong subway station. Weekends are the most crowded.

Talking of the subway, it's a great way to get around and one journey cost 2rmb, you can find maps on google.

Behind Wangfujing Street is the Wengsheng Fu Snack Street it offers the chance to eat everything from fresh fruit kebabs and noodles to the more exotic starfish-on-a-stick and fried scorpions. Some of the freshest food you will find in the city as it’s cooked to order. It opens from 6pm to 10pm every evening and is worth a visit just for the smell of the food cooking. A full meal can be had for 5.00 yuan. Wengfujing street is the central shopping district but I'm sure your wife will take you there! Get off at Wangfujing subway station.

One thing that I haven't done yet is have a look at the Beijing acrobats at Lao She Tea House. Every evening they have a 90 minute show that offers a peek at the elements that make up China's traditional performing arts - Wang Limin's fish conjuring act, a selection from a Peking opera, acrobatics, and Sichuanese face-changing. But the tea ceremonies are the real highlights of the show they tell me. The current presentations highlight seasonal teas: oolong for autumn, black for winter, white for spring, and green for summer.
Any thing that offers tea, acrobats and a fish conjuring act it high on my list of must sees!

Lao She Teahouse
3 Qianmenxi Dajie Street
100051 Beijing, SHI

China North Shooting Park in Changping County. When was the last time YOU fired an anti-tank missile or shot up the range with an AK-47?
You can watch Japanese tourists really get into it while unamused Chinese soldier types stand by. To get there from Deshengmen take the 345 or 845 bus to Changping County. Transfer to number 11 minibus or take a taxi to "ZhongGuo BeiFang GuoJi SheJiChang" (Use your index finger and thumb to simulate a pistol so the driver doesn't think you're going to the airport.)
You can also take the 919 bus from Deshengmen to Nankou and transfer to number 11 minibus there.
Telephone: 6977-1368 

How could I forget the Water Melon Museum. That’s right, Beijing has a museum especially dedicated to the watermelon. Located within the Watermelon Research Institute (watermelons are very interesting to research it seems) in China’s watermelon capital Daxing District, this museum exhibits 170 different types of watermelons and teaches you all about the history of this summer fruit in China. Visitors will also walk away knowing about the planting processes of melons and the knowledge that even the most obscure things are worthy of having their own museum. It' open from 9.30 to 5pm every day and you can take the bus No. 937 or 943 to Pangge Zhuang

Beijing Underground City.The most mysterious of the bunch, an entire underground city composed of a complex network of tunnels crisscrossing the city  Nobody knows how long the tunnels actually are , well I don't and photos are prohibited. The tunnels were built between 1965 and 1975 when Chairman Mao was preparing for a potential nuclear war. There is very little information on how to get in or opening hours which adds to the mystery and appeal of these “hidden” tunnels all the more.
To get there take Subway Line 2 or Bus No. 22, 44, 48 or 88 to Qianme and call this number first!  010 6702 2657

Have fun!

Martin, the terracotta army is in Xi'An the capital of Shaanxi province. Xi'An lies to the southwest of Beijing. It is approximately a one-hour flight, or an overnight train ride from Beijing. Not that far really!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:51:31 pm by Paul Todd »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 11:44:56 pm »
Where are the Terracota Soldiers...are they near Beijing?

Terracotta soldiers are in Xi'an...Shaan'xi province.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline maxx

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:42:43 am »
Ted Paul and mustfocus pretty much coverd it all.The only thing I would add.Is when you go to the Ming Tombs.The only way your going to see about half of it.Is if you spend the whole day thiere.They have a museum tour in the main park it takes about a hour. It is a self guided tour.Or you can hire a guide right outside the door of the museum.Send Arnold a PM he knows a guide who speaks English.Arnold has  the guys name and phone number.

When you come out of the main gate of the Forbidden city.Right across the street.Is tiananmen square.If you are thiere a hour before sundown.You can watch them do the changing of the guard.And the lowering of the colors..If you turn east out of the forbidden city.That will be to your left as you come out of the gate.You can walk down the street and check out the hotels.If you keep going.You will run into the food stalls.Paul was talking about.It is probably a mile walk.

Tiananmen square on the east side if I remember correctly.You can go See Chairmen Mao's body lying in state.I can't remember the times.That they let you view the body.But it isn't open for very long so you have to hit it on the right time.When you are at the square.If you walk southwest cutting the square in half.When you reach the other side.Keep walking southwest.for like 3 or 4 blocks.You will see.A bunch of buildings.That are new.That they built to look like old China.If you walk down the main road of this area.On your left.About five buildings in is the best Beijing Duck.You don't even half to order the duck.It comes with every meal.Best Duck I have ever eaten.

The Heaven temple is definitely worth a look.I spent about a hour out front playing Hacky sack.In the park With some Chinese guys.So like somebody said it is really a cool place just to hang out.

If i had a chance to go to Beijing again.I would definitely go To the summer palace again.I thought it was much better then the forbidden city.The summer palace will take all day.If you try to follow all the paths.And go out to the island.It was worth the five dollars they charged me to go threw the gate.And I would go threw the Ming tombs again.

If you do go to Beijing you must complete the quest.The quest is find the Chinese guy.And girl with the green eyes.I have seen the Chinese man with green eyes. I seen him walking down the sidewalk outside of the silk mall.I did not see the girl.So you must find the man and the girl.Legend says if you can find both.You will have riches beyond your wildest dream.

No man I'm just messing with you.Thiere is no legend.I did see a Chinese man with green eyes. Outside of the silk mall.It kind of freaked me out..

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:34:17 am »
The ads are plastered everywhere in the supermarkets and on some of the lamp-posts...  That's not TOO far from your place if you want to visit (Bloor and Avenue Road)... but I doubt the whole army is there...might be good to see though.  8)
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Chong

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 02:26:21 am »
I hear that you can find pretty good 'Chinese' food in Beijing ... :)

Also go to the 'Hu Tong' sections. Not only do you see the old ancient neighbourhoods but they also serve old-style foods. But certain sections are tourist populated. You have to go "DEEP" into the Hu Tongs to experience the REAL ancient Beijing, China.

ttwjr32

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:49:03 am »
thanks i printed these suggestions because the memory isnt what it used to be

Offline daghoi

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 02:41:41 am »
Hi !

I'll throw in one little thing at the end. If you find it interesting you can spend a couple of hours at the military museum. It is a own subway station a few stops to the west of Tiamen Square. Off course a lot of military hardware, but one thing that was kind of interesting was that they keep the wreckage of the U2 spy plane. The one shot down in the 1960, flown by Gary Powell. Remeber it is a wreck..

It was some other museum/sight on the same subway line that you could combine, but i can not remember the name of it know...Sure you will have plenty to do anyway.

Im not envious at all.... :)

Have a nice stay and enjoy.

Offline maxx

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 06:16:25 pm »
ok