Author Topic: Temporary Residency Permit  (Read 7745 times)

Offline Lain

Temporary Residency Permit
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:06:52 am »
Ok members, been along time since I have posted here and MANY things have moved along with relationship. I returned from Zhongshan / Xiaolan about a month ago after going there to spend 12 days with my lady. We have been communicating virtually every day now via QQ and I have even managed to create a fairly decent page in Qzone to share some things.....very hard when you cant use Google translate for the website.

Either way, I have chosen to advance our relationship and make the move there to live for a year. Originally I was going to attend a language school while living there, but after some long chats with my lady she said that I should simply spend some time living here...getting used to the culture and just spend some time living there to even see if can make an adjustment to life there. This is due to the fact that I will be moving there to live if we choose to get married. She has no desire to move to the US, and to be honest I even prefer the idea as I had a great time while there..albeit a short trip, I spent much of my time simply checking out the normal places rather than all the tourist traps.

So here I am looking into what I need to do in order to move there and I am reading about how to apply for whats called a "temporary residence permit" which can allow me to live there for 6-12 months without having to rely on a multi-entry Visa that will require me to leave and re-enter the country almost every month.....which is a pain to say the least, but Hong Kong is not to far so not a huge deal.

However my problem is that it appears that I will not be able to apply for this permit until after I am there..? If anyone has gone through this process please let me know what I can expect. I will be looking to move in October and wish to rent an apartment, but from what I can tell I will need to stay at a hotel until I can secure the temp residence permit...then find an apartment.

It seams that virtually everything I read about this process contradicts what I read on another website...so I was hoping to get some assistance. I will be looking to move to Xiaolan, but from what  can tell I will need to apply in Zhongshan?

ttwjr32

Re: Temporary Residency Permit
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 02:27:24 am »
Lain,

you should check with the chinese consulate were you live. they have just upped the temp residency to be able to apply for a two year one now. but that is requiring a medical check up. i received mine 19 days after i got here but i was married and we own a house here which made it quite simple. this year i need to do the medical check before i apply for the 2 year visa. the cost here is 458 rmb for that and there is only 1 hospital that does foreigners and its in Guangzhou for Guangdong province. unless your married or you have a job here then i do believe you cant apply for this in Guangdong province but i could be wrong which is why i said check with the chinese consulate were you live. the usa embassy is not going to be able to help you with this. From what i read on the papers i picked up at the PSB building foriegners coming in to do this need that medical certificate before arriving. the ones here can go to the hospital in Guangzhou. like Willy in Zhongshan needs to come here and do his so we will probably go the same day. Its a pretty simple procedure, blood,urine,exrays height weight the main things their looking for are  TB AND AIDS . not sure of the cost of a 2 year visa  but a 1 year one is 940rmb so with the checkup the total cost will be 1398rmb i hope its not 940 plus940 plus 458 but if it is oh well not much i can do.  the next time after this go around i can apply for a permanent one which is a little more but you never have to do all this again. they told me you have to be here for 3 years minimum for the permanent one   hope this helps

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 03:58:29 am »
Very interesting stuff, especially for us mere mortals planing on making the move to China.  Will be following this thread with great interest.  I have a cunning plan to run past Wendy.  I think I will be in a financial position to move by the beginning of December and conducting the TESOL course online from there.  My mum wants me to have my 40th BD here before I move.  Does anyone know how long the application will take.  If it is a while I might have to apply the day that I get back to Sydney.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Paul Todd

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:52:51 am »
Lain,
Why would they give you a temporary residents visa? You are not working in China,  you do not own a business here and your not married to a Chinese citizen. That leaves you squarely in the L visa or tourist visa class. If you are married to a Chinese citizen you get an extended L visa for up to 2 years, this does not give you the right to work in China and is not a Residents visa they are two separate things. For us mere mortals to get a residence visa you need to have first of all a Z or work visa then apply for your Foreign experts certificate and then take this to the PSB and they will issue you with a residence visa valid for  6 months. Willy is the man to ask about renting apartments here.
Jason, my advice would be to come over here on the longest tourist visa you can get your hands on and then look for work teaching. If your successful and I see no reason why you would not be, you will have to skip over to Hong Kong to get your Z visa. The Z visa cancels out your L visa and is only valid for 1 month, to get this you have to have papers from the school that offers you work. You can not apply for it with out them. Then the school will get your Foreign experts certificate, actually it's a little blue book and this will get you a residency visa. Some schools will try to get you to teach on an F or business visa, but that's another story. After you are married and have your little red book you can have your medical and go along to the PSB and apply for your extended L visa, it took me 5 days to get mine and was no problem at all, this was before I found work. All you can apply for back home is your L visa or if you have a firm offer of work a Z visa or an F or business visa. Don't worry it's not as complex as it sounds ! Best of luck to you both, I'm sure you won't regret moving to China

Offline Lain

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »
This is why I came here to ask for advice.

I was told that I could get a temporary residence permit under some circumstances. Yes you are correct, I do not and most likely will not work there as my company is internet based in the US and it really does not matter where I live as my company is all "server side" as its called. However that said, I am not against getting a "token" job if it can expedite the process of obtaining a residence permit.

I am all but certain that I will have to deal with my 12 month tourist visa, and I have sent a request to the embassy where my Visa was issues last time to request the time in country be extended to 90-days per visit. I am told this is possible, but will most likely only be extended to 60-days per visit.....which is still better than every 30-days.

My concerns are that unless I know that I can stay for at very least 6 months, I may have a really hard time getting an apartment as all my research so far points to lease agreements that are almost always a year..or longer! I have found several places where I can get short term leases but they are usually extended stay hotels which are exceptionally expensive, or rat holes that I will not live in.

The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to get much done until I am "on the ground" so to speak once I am there. This is making it really hard to decide what to do about taking care of business on this side of the pond. I am in the process of selling most of my household items and my vehicle. I have a handful of items I wish to bring with....but due to the shipping costs I am hesitant to crate it all up until I know how long I will be able to stay. There are things that I will need, and things that I would like...how long I can stay will greatly determine what I bring.

I am keenly aware that there is no guarantee that there that I may always be allowed re-entry on my tourist visa, even though so long as I stay out of trouble there is most likely not going to be a problem.....however if I set up an apartment, move even my basic personal effects to the apartment and get denied entry back...I am sort of screwed.  :(

My business needs will require me to take my computer and related business stuff as I work from my home which I will continue to do there as I do here. I cannot risk losing these items, so I am simply making my best effort to ensure that I can stay for a given time...even if for only 6 months. I was originally going to attend a school for Mandarin and was to get a JW-201 cert and get a student Visa...but my lady thought it best that I simply take one step at a time, see how it goes for the first few months and if all goes well for both our relationship, and seeing if I can adapt to life there (fairly sure no problem) then become a student.....etc.

Just weighing my options, doing my homework and getting plans in place....October will be here before I know it and that is when I am coming.

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:43:23 pm »
Lain,

coming from the states my first visit to china i was only given a 90 day visa but after that i applied for a year with multiple entries
and had no problem recieving that one each time. so apply for that one as you have already been here.

as far as renting a place most will want you to pay in advance so work out a 6 month rental with who you talk with or have your
lady freind have this set up for you before you come. you could always send her the money to pay for it before you get here.

the rentals in zhongshan are most reasonable as having been to Willy's place which is very nice and about half of what you would
pay in Guangzhou. in fact he could get the same lady to get you a place there if you ask him she is a really good lady and will find
you a good place

Offline Lain

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 07:11:46 pm »
Actually she has already been helping me to find a place, and giving me feedback on the places I find online. However I will be in a smaller area called Xiaolan, which does not have as many places to rent as Zhongshan. Its about a 30 minute bus ride away, but I really like the area and its where she lives. What I am really hating about these places online is the complete lack of either pictures, and in some cases addresses that I can find using ANY map services online....that was one thing I noticed during my visit was the lack of easily found building addresses...guess you have to know what to look for?

The costs so far of the places I have considered are just fine with me...in fact one place I found is only 2100-RMB ($300 US) for a 2 bedroom (furnished) and my plan was to actually prepay for the first 6 months up front so I do not have to hassle with it once I am there. I require a high speed internet connection for my business and VOIP (phone) The second bedroom I was going to use as my office like I do here.

Glad to read that you had no issues with the multi entry visa...it just has me nervous as I mentioned, being refused entry once I am moved in would create a major situation with my business that has me wanting some sort of assurances. As mentioned what I will most likely do is fly over, spend a week or two at a hotel while I settle on an apartment having filtered my choices before I arrive and then have the shipping company air freight my stuff once I have an actual "address"

I guess all I can really do now is wait to see what the embassy says in reply to my inquiry....and hope for the best once I am there....for everything!  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:14:39 pm by Lain »

Paul Todd

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 11:23:52 pm »
Hi Lain,

Have you considered applying for a 12 month multiple entry F or business visa. If you have your own business and can supply a:-

" Business Letter or Invitation Letter:"
 " A Business Letter from your company or an invitation letter from the Chinese company, Letter must address to "Consulate of China" explaining the purpose of the trip, guaranteeing financial support for you while in China"

It looks quite possible that you would receive it. According to  Visa express in the US it costs 160$ and a 69$ service fee. They even say you can get it the same day for a higher fee! Here's the link:-

http://www.visaexpress.net/

I'm sure if you talk to these people they will tell you exactly what needs to be in the letter and you can go from there. Maybe even set up a cheap off the shelf company just for this purpose. Just some idea's I was thinking about, not sure how viable they are. Worth an e-mail I would have thought. Best of luck................

Offline Lain

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 12:29:32 am »
Hi Lain,

Have you considered applying for a 12 month multiple entry F or business visa. If you have your own business and can supply a:-

" Business Letter or Invitation Letter:"
 " A Business Letter from your company or an invitation letter from the Chinese company, Letter must address to "Consulate of China" explaining the purpose of the trip, guaranteeing financial support for you while in China"

It looks quite possible that you would receive it. According to  Visa express in the US it costs 160$ and a 69$ service fee. They even say you can get it the same day for a higher fee! Here's the link:-

http://www.visaexpress.net/

I'm sure if you talk to these people they will tell you exactly what needs to be in the letter and you can go from there. Maybe even set up a cheap off the shelf company just for this purpose. Just some idea's I was thinking about, not sure how viable they are. Worth an e-mail I would have thought. Best of luck................

Waite a minute....your saying that I can have my own business create a "Business Letter or Invitation Letter" so that I can enter on a business visa?? I was under the impression that this type of letter could only be issued from an internal "Chinese business" ??

If this is a possibility than that does indeed change the scope of my plans, because my company does engage in international B2B trade and it was part of my longer term business plan to export items via  my company from China should I get married and stay there. In fact when I was there on my last visit I visited a few companies that are in my line of business and I am an authorized dealer for an international company that has one dealer located in China. I may be able to get them to issue a letter for "consulting" ???

See, there is always a way....now to investigate how may be able to have my own company issue such a letter....If I can? In the end I will be doing business there should I get married and stay...guess there is no reason to wait to get started on "researching" my business opportunities.

Thanks....now the question is can I pull this off in less than 80 days?

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 09:36:16 am »
Lain,

if your sure you will get married just apply for a 1 year multiple visa entry from the states and after you marry apply for the
1 year L VISA WITH multiple entries mine was applied for 9 days after we married and issued to me a week later.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 05:01:29 am »
I am getting confused here. 

I have a visa that was aquired from the PSB.  That is now due to expire and need to be renewed in two weeks. That is multi entry and I do not have to leave China.

I ALSO haved a Temporary Residents Permit which allows me to live here.    When I was in Zhuhai I fell foul of the law when I answered a knock at my apartment door and found the police there.  I had to report to the local Police Station and register fo a TYemp residents Permit.  Which I renew after each Visa is issued.

Now some are saying that a Temp Residences Permit is not required.  The Police tell me it is required.   I will also make sure that I always have one as it saves carrying a passport around.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Paul Todd

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 05:39:51 am »
Hi Willy,

I'm also confused, nothing new I know. A couple of questions.You have a visa from the PSB, was this given to you after you got married? and is it an L visa. Also what is the "Temporary Residents Permit" you have? Does it actually say" Temporary " and what form does it take a separate book or a sticker in your passport? I understand about having to register at the police station if your not staying in a hotel but I've never come across a Temporary Residents Permit, is it issued by the police? I have a blue " Resident Permit for Foreigners in the People Republic of China" stuck in my passport. While this is valid I do not need a visa of any kind, but to get it I had to have a Z visa that was valid for 1 month! Thanks............
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:48:17 am by Paul Todd »

Offline Lain

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 10:40:56 am »
This is why I have been working so hard to find the best solutions.....there seems to be many contradictions when reading about Visa's & Residency Permits, and as best I can tell.....it depends on where you live as each province seems to have its own regulations for residency.

The really screwy thing that I found recently was an application to become a Chinese Citizen!!....I cannot tell you how many times I have read that there is no such thing as getting citizenship there, but here is the link. http://crj.gdga.gov.cn/zjzs/
This is also where I found the Temporary Residence Permit....nice to read it BEFORE I get there and get some details as to how to plan my trip so that any issues are addressed now while I am still here in the US.

To clarify....It was explained to me that a person can apply for a temporary residence permit if there is a valid reason, such as caring for a family member, business reasons, short term education or advanced study courses, and a few other mostly related to family. The temporary residence permit overrides the Visa in that so long as the permit is valid you can stay inside the country even if your Visa only has say a single entry 30-day in country visit, or even a multi-entry. This is what I desire to get, as I will be setting up my business while there and I do not like the idea that I may be refused re-entry when my computers and documents are still in China.

If a temporary residence permit has been issued, and renewed for 2 years than you can apply for one that is valid for up to 2 years at a time. After that if a permit has been re-issued for 5 years, you may then apply for a permanent residence permit that is valid for 10 years at a time. You can also apply for a permanent residence permit if you are married to a Chinese lady, or have a business that operates inside China. The business part is rather vague in that it states there must be a "significant contribution" to the Chinese economy...which I guess means that you must have a big company that employs many people...or you are willing to pay a big bribe? 

As for marriage....well, that's still the big question and while that is the ultimate goal, I am still not so sure that she is the one ~ but I do hope~ So I am not going to make any plans for getting a Visa, residence permit or anything along those lines that is based on marriage. When (if) that becomes the basis for my being there..I will apply for such paperwork then.

The new law is that unless I stay in a hotel, which automatically registers my stay with the PSB I must apply for a residence permit within 24 hours of entry. Which is fine, as I will be living in a hotel for the first few weeks I am there and will not sign a lease for the apartment until I am approved for the residence permit, which I am hoping that I will get as I will be coming on a 12-month multi-entry business visa. I am going to ask for a 6-month temporary residence permit...and I will actually be looking into business opportunities and may even file to start an Asian division of my company?

Either way, I have attached the Citizenship PDF.....not sure what all it says..(Chinese only) and a temporary residence permit.

Paul Todd

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 11:14:17 pm »
Ahh China, confusion rules!
I think we are talking about 2 different things here even though they have the same name! The first " Residence Permit'" below is for people who are employed by a company/school and sets out the requirements:-

For foreigners who want to stay in China for a short term will be asked to apply for a temporary or long-term residence permit,

1. Temporary residence permit
Basic application materials needed
1. A valid passport and visa;
2. Letter from the employer;
3. Certificate for accommodation registration;
4. Two recent 2-inch carnet color photos of uncapped portrait image;

For foreign experts, the following are also required:
(1) Expert Card;
(2) Certificate of health (exempted for those with validity period of temporary residence below one year).

For foreign students, the following are also required:
(1) Either JW201 or JW202 form;
(2) Certificate of health (exempted for those with validity period of temporary residence below half a year);
(3) Examination-approval form for off-campus accommodation (if applicable).

For performance staffs, the following are also required:
(1) Certificate of performance;
(2) Approval document from the Ministry of Culture.
Note: For those foreigners from the countries with mutual exemption of visa requirements, after they enter China, if they require staying for more than 30 days, they shall handle the procedures for temporary residence, the length of which shall not exceed 3 months.

2. Long-term residence permit
Application materials required
1. A valid passport and visa or residence permit;
2. Certificate of health (exempted for those foreigners with residence permit)
3. Two recent 2-inch carnet color photos of uncapped portrait image;
4. Attestation of the ID card and Work Experience of the Foreigner produced by his/her employer;
5. Certificate of honor or commendation certificate (photocopy);

Note: Depending on the different conditions of applicants, the following materials are also required
a. Applicant who has invested and established an enterprise in China shall submit the photocopy of the enterprise's business license (counterpart);

b. Urgently-needed technician or main contributor shall submit the Letter of Recommendation for Long-term Residential Qualification of Foreigners produced by competent municipal authorities or the photocopy of individual commendation certificate issued by the municipal government;

A person who is accompanied by spouse and child shall present a certificate of kinship.

Extension of temporary residence permit in China
Application materials required
1. A valid passport and the valid temporary residence permit;
2. Letter from the employer;

For experts, the following are also required
a. Expert Card;
b. Certificate of health.

For foreign students, the following are also required
a. School's official letter;
b. Certificate of health.

For performance staffs, the following are also required
a. Certificate of performance;
b. Approval document from the Ministry of Culture;
c. Certificate of health.

Now I think what Willy is talking about is:-

Temporary Residence Registration, Which allows you to live in your apartment without being subjected to fines.

All foreigners in China need to be registered with their local PSB (Public Security Bureau)

Who is affected?

Guests staying in Hotels and Serviced Apartments
Guests must be registered upon arrival with the PSB by the hotel and/or serviced apartment management company. Usually this procedure is automatic with input from the hotel being directly fed into the local PSB computer at the check-in procedure, with no additional action being required from the guest. However, daily checks are now in operation with the PSB physically visiting hotels to request copies of the hotels in-house guest list to make sure they match the PSB’s own records. If they do not, the hotel / serviced apartment will be fined RMB5,000 per missing entry. Hotel guests under these circumstances would not be fined. However it does mean that foreigners wishing to stay at an hotel in China must provide full passport and visa credentials in order to check in.

Expatriate Employees Living In Private Apartments
The apartment management company should be contacting foreign tenants / residents and requiring them to register with the local PSB. If this is not done, both the management company and the foreigner can be fined RMB5,000. It is important to note that this rule applies to any foreign person living in any apartment or private dwelling - even if it is for just for one night. If staying overnight or visiting friends in China, registration must be carried out upon arrival with the local PSB office responsible for the area within 24 hours of arrival.

Not the same thing at all.

Residence Permits as opposed to Residence registration,

It is not the visa but the residence permit that gives you the legal right to live in China. Once you arrive in China, you’ll have 30 days to secure your residence permit. Your initial visa will expire within a few months, but your residence permit will function like a multiple-entry visa, allowing you to leave the country and return without an additional visa as long as the permit is valid. Three types of residence permits can give you the legal right to live in China. Permanent residence permits, a.k.a. the new “green cards,” accompany the D visas and are renewable every 10 years. Temporary residence permits are for those staying more than six months but less than one year, such as visiting scholars or those coming for job training. The Foreigner Residence Permit, typically good for one year and renewable annually, is standard issue for the majority of foreigners working in China, though some (such as company executives, legal representatives, or investors) qualify for a permit that is good for two years. With a valid residence permit you are allowed to leave the country and return, even if your initial entry visa has expired.

Information required for a residence permit or a temporary residence permit, again this is not the registration permit that is sometimes called Residence Permit.

Guangdong Province

①     One application form and three recent, bare-headed, full-faced, white-background color photos(size:32X40 cm);

②     One copy of the applicant’s valid passport or other valid Travel certificates and visa( bring original certificates for inspection);

③     One valid Health Certificate(except for those under 16 years of the age) issued by the other citiy’s Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau of the People’s Republic of  China.( Refered to as the same as hereinafter)

④     Temporary Accommodation Registration Form for Aliens registered with the public security station(except in hotels);

⑤     Upon the first application for an alien resident permit, the employer should provide the following: name, occupation, telephone number, fax number for the appropriate contact person, etc.;

⑥     The other requested Certificates;

⑦     Accommodation certificate: Certificate of the House Property (deed) of the applicant, or the  Public Security Administration’s Permit for House Lodging or rental contract, or a rental contract for long term lodging in a hotel (bring the original certificates for inspection along with photocopies of all the required documents (A4size);

⑧     The companies dealing with foreign affairs and individuals must supply all of the following documents:

The companies dealing with foreign affairs:

a: One copy of the Enterprise Business License and Certificate of approval of  invested enterprise for the Taiwan, Macao, Hongkong and Overseas Chinese by the People’s Republic of China;

b: One Valid Foreign Labor Permit or one copy of the certificate for investors who don’t need applying for Labor Permit( bring original certificates for inspection);

Foreign Enterprise Permanent Office:

a: One copy of the Foreign Enterprise Permanent Office Registration Certificate in China;

b: One Working Card of the Foreign Enterprise Permanent Office in China and one copy of the Foreigner’s Employment Permit(bring original certificates for inspection).

Aliens Working in Schools:

Institutions should provide: one copy of the Permit of Running a School issued by the Education Bureau of the Guangdong province, Senior-Education Bureau of the  Guangdong Province or the Zhuhai Education Bureau

Personnel in schools:

Teacher: one copy of the foreign expert’s certificate (bring original certificates for inspection). Those who teach in an institution that does not award an official degree, a school for training or training center that can’t submit approval from the relevant provincial and municipal authorities should submit one photocopy of the Foreigner’s Employment permit(bring original certificates for inspection).

The only way I can see of getting a Residence Permit with an F visa is if you have a registered company here and have invested a lot of money. In fact if you have your F visa valid for one year and register with the police and get you Residence registration form why do you need a Residence Permit ? You can still rent an apartment just remember,
On move-in day, bring a copy of your pass-port so you and your landlord can go to the local office of the Public Security Bureau to register. The process is quick and free, and if you don’t register you could face a fine of up to RMB 500 per day. You don’t have to state how much you pay in rent when registering, so your landlord need not worry about being forced to pay taxes. It's easy to tie your self in knot over this but it's not that complicated really!

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 11:26:23 pm »
Thanks Paul so much to learn and will take everything on board now that this is going to be the path I am treading.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.