Author Topic: More ID and Passport Checks taking place  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
More ID and Passport Checks taking place
« on: September 06, 2010, 01:33:53 am »
I have just received the following email from the Bristish Consulate in Guangzhou.

This applies to all nationalities not only the Brits.

Greetings from the British Consulate-General in Guangzhou.

There has been an increase in passport and ID checks in the run up to the Asian Games, and that these checks are likely to continue through to the end of the games.  You should ensure that you carry your original passport with you at all times, in line with our existing travel advice.

Best regards,
Consular Section
British Consulate-General Guangzhou
2/F Guangdong International Hotel
339 Huanshi Dong Lu
Guangzhou PRC 510098

Suggest that those that do not hold temp. residents permits should carry passport until end of games especially if you have a good sun tan!  Not saying the police are racist but this appears to be the group that are checked more regularly than others.

The games are in November so anyone visiting between now and Christmas could be checked more often.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

Re: More ID and Passport Checks taking place
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 03:46:33 am »
also i would like to mention that right now up to the start of the games there is quite an influx of western people
coming here, and according to my brother in law in the special law enforcement here after the games is when they
will be checking heavy because of the amount of people who will overstay their visa.

so i would also carry it for quite a while after the games as they will be checking quite heavy. i guess after the
olympic games they found out that many many thousands stayed over. and then tried to leave saying they just
lost their passport. i dont know if you say that they have a way of checking to see when yours expired but i do
know they were quite surprised with the sudden influx of lost passports afterward.

if they check you and you dont have it on you its a simple fix but it also comes with a small fine which is 50 rmb the
first time. so i would carry it and especially if your in or coming near Guangzhou  which is like shenzhen,zhuhai,zhongshan
and those surroundiong areas

just a thought and addition to this post

Ted

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 04:05:15 am »
I don't know if you were telling a joke or not...but why would they check people with a sun tan more than others?

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 05:53:46 am »
I know it is not "fashionable" for Chinese to be tanned...but does that rule apply to "white" people as well?

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 08:31:48 am »
I know it is not "fashionable" for Chinese to be tanned...but does that rule apply to "white" people as well?
Read between the lines Martin!  The groups that get check most, but unofficialy, are normally black or very dark brown.  These are the ones that they believe will overstay their visa. 

Checks on these groups by plain clothes men happen nightly when they gather in City Centres.

Willy

Me I just get a pull in my own homes!!!! 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:20:37 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 11:47:05 am »

My guess is, that in China they would be viewed as the "low life" people .... is that what you mean Willy?

no actually that is not what he is saying. but there are a certain set of people that do abuse their visa
rights and its pretty common knowledge here and for what it is worth they should check them to hell
with political correctness.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 10:35:44 pm »
Mike,

I am taking notes here..... ;)

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.