Author Topic: a thought for people coming to China  (Read 2382 times)

ttwjr32

a thought for people coming to China
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:15:08 am »
 I was thinking about this after posting in Jimmy's thread about his wifes upcoming interview. So i am going to throw
 this idea out there for every one to think about and maybe get some thoughts on it.

You are already commited to your lady and getting married and when your coming here for a 2 or 3 week or even longer
 visit, you are staying close to her house so why not register that you are staying in her place?? It just gives some more
 documentation for the interview when that time comes .

I know your thinking well we are not married but when you get the interview you are married or will be married when she
 arrives at your country, and they know when she gets there she will not be staying in a hotel until your married 2 or 3 months
 later. so my thought behind this is it shows that you were definitley together when you were here because of the registration
 of were you stayed. that along with everything else might ease the pain of the interview when that time comes.

Just a thought what do some of you think??

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
Re: a thought for people coming to China
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:33:25 am »
Cant possibly see what harm it could do at worst.  Much better residency to register then a hotel where u might not even be staying after a few days anyway
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 08:33:53 pm »
Mike as far as I know they don't care.As long as you are registered somewhere.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:52:38 pm »
Each time I stayed in China, was in a hotel .... and the hotel scanned my passport, as they reported to the Government that I was staying there ... I did not have to do it .. this makes it very easy for the traveler ....

I do not know if they care if you end up registered at two places for the same time?
a hotel and your ladies home?

You will find that some hotel do not have a licence to offer rooms for 'foreigners' .  I have stayed at these 'no foreigners' hotels and every time they only wanted my wife's papers not mine.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 06:46:40 am »
Could not work out where to put the following , admin can move if required .
Table Manners Useful tips on table manners
(gz.gov.cn)
Updated: 2010-11-09 00:17 Comments(0) PrintMail  Large Medium Small 

Of course, the main difference on the Chinese dinner table is chopsticks instead of knife and fork, but that's only superficial. Besides, in decent restaurants, you can always ask for a pair of knife and fork, if you find the chopsticks not helpful enough.

The real difference is that in the West, you have your own plate of food, while in China the dishes are placed on the table and everyone shares. If you are being treated to a formal dinner and particularly if the host thinks you're in the country for the first time, he will do the best to give you a taste of many different types of dishes.

Perhaps one of the things that surprise a Western visitor most is that some of the Chinese hosts like to put food into the plates of their guests. In formal dinners, there are always "public" chopsticks and spoons for this purpose, but some hosts may use their own chopsticks. This is a sign of genuine friendship and politeness. It is always polite to eat the food. If you do not eat it, just leave the food in the plate.

People in China tend to over-order food, for they will find it embarrassing if all the food is consumed. When you have had enough, just say so. Or you will always overeat!

Traditionally speaking, there are many taboos at Chinese tables, but these days not many people pay attention to them. However, there are a few things to keep in mind, especially if you are a guest at a private home.

1. Don't stick your chopsticks upright in the rice bowl. Instead, lay them on your dish. The reason for this is that when somebody dies, the shrine to them contains a bowl of sand or rice with two sticks of incense stuck upright in it. So if you stick your chopsticks in the rice bowl, it looks like this shrine and is equivalent to wishing death upon person at the table!

2. Make sure the spout of the teapot is not facing anyone. It is impolite to set the teapot down where the spout is facing towards somebody. The spout should always be directed to where nobody is sitting, usually just outward from the table.

3. Don't tap on your bowl with your chopsticks. Beggars tap on their bowls, so this is not polite. Also, in a restaurant, if the food is coming too slow people will tap their bowls. If you are in someone's home, it is like insulting the cook.
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• bopads.info
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 06:49:38 am »
Table Manners About names and greetings
(gz.gov.cn)
Updated: 2010-11-10 18:57 Comments(0) PrintMail  Large Medium Small 

The order of Chinese names is family name first, then given name. Among some 440 family names, the 100 most common ones account for 90% of the total population. Brides in China do not adopt their husband's surnames.

Among Chinese, a popular way to address each other, regardless of gender, is to add an age-related term of honor before the family name. These include: lao (honorable old one), xiao (honorable young one) or occasionally da (honorable middle-aged one).
My QQ is   1994376895

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• bopads.info
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 06:52:05 am »
Table Manners About shaking hands
(gz.gov.cn)
Updated: 2010-11-10 16:27 Comments(0) PrintMail  Large Medium Small 

Unlike the Japanese, Chinese do not commonly bow as a form of greeting. Instead, a brief handshake is usual. While meeting elders or senior officials, your handshake should be even more gentle and accompanied by a slight nod. Sometimes, as an expression of warmth, a Chinese will cover the normal handshake with his left hand. As a sign of respect, Chinese usually lower their eyes slightly when they meet others.

Moreover, embracing or kissing when greeting or saying good-bye is highly unusual. Generally, Chinese do not show their emotions and feelings in public. Consequently, it is better not to behave in too carefree a manner in public.
My QQ is   1994376895

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• bopads.info
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 06:58:34 am »
Table Manners About Tipping
(gz.gov.cn)
Updated: 2010-11-10 15:55 Comments(0) PrintMail  Large Medium Small 

China is one of those wonderful countries where tipping is not practiced and almost no one asks for tips. The same thing goes even in Hong Kong and Macao, except in some luxurious hotels.

Here endeth 2days lessons , regards Sujuan and Robert .
My QQ is   1994376895