Author Topic: WARNING  (Read 3057 times)

Offline mpo

WARNING
« on: May 24, 2009, 03:31:37 pm »

WARNING: All posts are subject to edit and deletion at the sole discretion of the mods
         If your post is modified or deleted you will not be notified in any way.
         Do not expect any post to remain untouched if the Mod is not in agreement with it.
         Complaints will not be tolerated
         You have been warned, this is the final warning.
         If you do not agree with this, please go post elsewhere.
         Thank you, and have a great day!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:01:13 pm by mpo »

Paul Todd

RE: FSI Language Courses
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 05:25:59 pm »
Thanks Mike,
I'm going to give it a go! Just heard the first tape,even I could follow it!:D

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 06:00:36 pm »
Thanks.  I'm copying them all to my ipod.  Good stuff.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Arnold

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:51:34 pm »
yi-er-san-si-wu-liu-qi-ba-jiu-shi-shi.yi-shi.er-shi.san-shi.si-shi.wu-shi.liu-shi.qi-shi.ba-shi.jiu-er.shi-er.shi.yi-er.shi.er .. ect . I think the chinese number's are easier than English or German . These should be no problem for anybody . Learning the character's for number's is equally as simple , ones practised enough .

This is a great course , sound-wise but it should show the pinying and character's with it , so to recognize them when seeing them in real life .

This is why it's not that great to have a CD playing in the Car , when you can not have the Book with you to look up what's being say'd at the same time . This is why I think it takes all three together ( sound , pinying , character's ) to really learn it right .

When Qing sends me a chinese sentence it alway's includes only the written and the character's , but no sound . So with my next call we double check to see if I got it right or she  will correct me as necessary , til my brain has it locked in . The rest is up to me to practise it whenever I have the time , sound , pinying and character's . I know it is not easy and pretty much only my Sweetheart understands me as of now . Hehehe . But it's a start ... that most likely will never finish .

Vince G

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:17:09 pm »
On the phone with Song last night. Near the end of the 2-3 hr call :s we talked of me learning chinese. One of the words she was drilling me to speak sounded like YO. After a few times repeating after her I just fell into saying something funny not thinking if she would understand? It all sounded like hey-yo hey-yo hey-yo and of course I gave it a NY accent "Heyyyyyy yooooooo!?" She laughed so hard, I guess they don't dub these things from the movies in China?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 11:41:54 pm by Vince G »

Offline maxx

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:00:41 am »
What dialect? I think it is a good Idea that you guys are learning Chinese.The only thing I would suggest.Is make sure you are learning the right dialect.

My wife can speak about 5 different Dialects of Chinese and understand about 10 other Dialects of Chinese.

Vince G

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 09:42:10 am »
I'm interested in learning just one dialect just to talk to my lady. If needed she can do the talking in other dialects.

Vince G

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 10:48:43 am »
Mike That is funny I thought of the same thing but how to write each dialect of different places and states? A couple years back I worked for a good old boy from Tenn. Sometimes I would (not on purpose) talk to him with that accent. Another time he said I had an Attitude? I told him " I don't have a F***in attitude. (jokingly) It's just that different dialect.

Offline maxx

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 02:07:00 pm »
Then learn from your ladies.There is alot of different dialects out there.I thought I was being smart my first trip to China.I bought a Manderine Chinese book and took it with me.Studied the hell out of that book.I had more then a few phrases memorised.

I took the book with me to China to show my wife what I had Learned.When her and her mother stopped laughing at me and my book.My wife said you can learn Chinese from me.

bu dong shuo zhong wen .That is from central China.Somebody told me it was Haku dialect.My wife is Han Chinese.I have tried it out in China.Most Chinese people don't understand what I'm saying.Because it is a local dialect.

Can you tell me what I said.BU DONG SHOU ZHONG WHEN.I think the answers i get should be real interesting.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 03:31:52 pm »
OH smart ASss.........lol only joking mate:angel:

Vince G

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 03:37:11 pm »
Not Fair you should put the tones in? BUT
Do not understand frequently chinese
or in my words. It's chinese to me?

Arnold

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 03:41:59 pm »
Same here , talk Mandarin to  chinese waitress's where I alway's eat , some understand some don't . But if I write character's down , they all know ... unless their born here and never learned the character's , which is quite common here . Many don't know what a Yuan is either , if I want to pay with Yuan Bill for fun .
You think Mandarin chinese and the dialect from where your Lady is from should be more ... more than enough . In my case Shanghainese .

Vince G

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 04:33:50 pm »
My lady started that this weekend. I don't know the chinese spelling of it but here's an Example was Bin Sur, bin, sur,  then she gave 4 tones of sur and repeated the last one (so this is the tone). Sur sounds like Oh Sur! So a few into it I got a very goodd (d prononced doubled) Come on she's cute.
Bin Sur = Battery. I thought her Battery and she thought me.

Offline Ed W

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 06:08:57 pm »
I plan on enrolling in a year long school very close to my residence for $400 USD. Starts in Sept and ends in June. Although learning to speak and understand the spoke is nice, I want to learn written and writing the language too. I plan on many more trips in my lifetime and sure would love to read all the lables of crap im buying.
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china