Author Topic: Life in Hong Kong  (Read 11117 times)

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
Re: Life in Hong Kong
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2010, 08:16:29 am »
Philip,

I hope your wife has a speedy recovery. Happy birthday to her too, even if it is a little late. Don't worry about the nurses as long as they are giving the proper care and hopefully the operation is a success.  :)

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Philip

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 12:52:16 am »
Thanks guys for all your kind wishes. Zhimei and I took the sleeper train last night from Changsha to Shenzhen. This morning, I lugged a few tons of luggage through customs (my wife is not in a fit state to carry anything). She had no problems getting into Hong Kong with her 90 day visa. (By the way, with my temporary Hong Kong ID card, I only need to feed it into a machine and show my thumbprint to get through Hong Kong customs - just a couple of seconds - simple). We took the KCR train, 25 minutes -  from Lo Wu to Sha Tin, then a 40 minute bus ride to our home. We climbed the 86 steps (slowly), from the road to our apartment.
At about 12.00, we stood out on the balcony, in the hot Hong Kong sunshine, in each other's arms, and looked out over the bay, contemplating the beginning of our future together.
Then my wife searched for the rice (I had a big bag) and perused the instructions for an electronic  cooking device, which is like a rice cooker, but multi-purpose. We bought this in China, along with another device I'd never seen - it seems to be a mix of liquidizer and kettle. Soup, anyone?
Wish me luck with the 24-hour rule. This is my first marriage, so the true test starts now, now we are actually living together. I will need to remind myself of thisif I occasionally lapse into bachelor-mode. Ha ha

Paul Todd

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 02:27:22 am »
Happy days Phillip  :) and I hope there are many more to follow. The best of luck to both of you on your new life together!

Offline shaun

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 06:44:32 am »
Great news.  Like you said the 24 hour rule. May it always be foresight and not hindsight.

Offline Philip

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2010, 06:22:04 pm »
OK. Just finished my first term at school here in Hong Kong. Now I have two weeks' holiday. Work has been very good. I have an amazing class of four-year-olds. I only have to play one note on a triangle, and they stop what they are doing and look at me, waiting for me to tell them they have got 5 more minutes to play (in English or Cantonese).
I have been living with my wife here in Hong Kong for a month and a half now. It has been mostly very good, but she doesn't go out much yet. She is much better at Cantonese than I (or she) thought she was, but she prefers to stay at home while I am at work, chatting to her family and friends on QQ and watching Chinese TV. We go for nice walks along the coast road to the local town, Sai Kung, and watch the fish sellers selling their weird and wonderful creatures. She refuses to take the bus, as the HK$5 charge offends her frugal nature, ha ha!
Now, the 90 days of her visa are coming to and end at the end of the month, she must go to Hengyang to talk sweetly to her local official, with bribes of perfume, to get another 90 days.
On the way, we will have lunch with her young cousin in Shenzhen, visit her friend in Dongguan (and try and get a cheap apartment there, while her visa is being processed). Then we go to Changsha, where, depending on circumstances, I will finally get to meet her 2 children and her father, who is not aware that we are married. We hope to accompany him to Mao's birthplace on a bus trip (he has always wanted to go). My wife tells me that he likes French wine, so I will bring along a nice Chateauneuf-du-Pape and a nice St Emilion. I'm not sure if we're going to get drunk together, or he will throw me out, keep the Chateauneuf for ten years, sell it at a profit and hire a hitman to kill me. We'll see.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2010, 06:49:52 pm »
Great update Phillip.  It sounds like things are going fairly well...with the exception of your wife's visa issue.  Glad to hear from you.

Offline Philip

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2011, 04:08:12 am »
Hi everyone and Happy New Year.
I have just spent a very eventful 2 weeks with my wife in China.
Warning: this is a long post!
On December 18th, Zhimei and I took a train to Shenzhen, then took a metro and taxi to meet my wife’s cousin, David. We had a nice meal and I ordered a laptop and a phone for her son Peng Fei, who is 12. He normally never strings two words together, but he was absolutely ecstatic at the news when we told him on the phone. He has had a rather deprived upbringing, but the computer will really help him with his schoolwork (and his interest in gaming!). David has installed some good software , checked it and sent it to him in Changning).
Next day, we took a bus to Guangzhou and a high-speed train to Changsha. I love Changsha. It is dirty, grey and the buildings are mostly cathedrals of concrete, but I can’t help loving it. It is real. There are amazing contradictions between the aggressive and ambitious building work that is going on and the almost Dickensian housing right next it. I like nothing better than to eat at one of the restaurants with the dishes laid out in bowls on large steam trays. We stayed at the Mellow Orange hotel next to the station – very nice - 169rmb.
On the 20th, we tried to get my wife a check-up at the gynaecological hospital she stayed at in October, but there was a power cut, so the doctors, sitting in candle-light, told her, they couldn’t check anything. We met her Changsha friend in her dark little home. I had a rough, but invigorating massage from the old blind guy who lived next door, for 30rmb. I was told not to speak, even when it hurt, because my wife had told the man I was from Guangdong. I don’t know what difference that would have made (maybe the price), but I’m glad he didn’t massage my face, the game would have been up! We onblyt staye3d for one meal at her friend’s – she spent most of the time screaming at her 8-year old son for not doing his homework. She is still holding on to the idea that she will get compensation for the motorbike accident she had in April – ain’t ever gonna happen, but she won’t let it go. It’s eating her up and she’s taking it out on everyone.
Next day, we did some sightseeing and walking (lots of walking). Why take a bus for 2rmb, when you can walk half of Changsha? Ha ha!
On the 22nd, we took a trip to my wife’s hometown, Changning. To get there, we took a two hour train south to Hengyang, then a 2 hour ramshackle bus ride to Changning. The ticket collector was very entertaining – she spent the whole time arguing furiously on her phone (which had a Benny Hill theme ringtone) and laughing in conversation with my wife. Changning reminds me of those one-street cities in the Mid-West. Montains of red dust covers everything and everybody. I was surprised not to see tumbleweed rolling past. There are no street lights, which was strange. And building sites were everywhere. We checked in at the nearest hotel, which had not been renovated (or even cleaned) this century. We were met by my 74 year-old father-in-law and my 8 year-old stepdaughter, Yi Ting. I shook his hand, he was quiet, but not unfriendly. Yi Ting was quite sweet and mischievous, but we had a nice time playing hand-clapping games as we walked the half-mile to the house she and her brother shared with her grandfather. They live in a large, barely-furnished 6th floor apartment. I gave the father the 2 bottles of French wine. He nodded thank you. Peng Fei arrived at around 8, back from school. We said hello, but he didn’t say a word all evening. Even with my wife, he gave one monosyllabic answer to every 5 questions she asked. He seemed very shy. We all ate a meal at a local restaurant, together with my wife’s sister-in-law and her teenage son. It was quite subdued, but OK.
On the 23rd, we moved into a rather posh new hotel, which looks very incongruous next to all the drab buildings on the main strip. The marketing manager, mistaking me for a big businessman, insisted on carrying our bags and offering us a tour of Changning. My wife went to the local police station to get her visa for Hong Kong renewed and apply for a passport. Then we took the officer dealing with her case out for a meal after she finished work for the morning. We gave her the perfume we had bought to bribe her. It seemed to do the trick. She was happy and smiling talking to my wife, and she offered to send the finished visa and passport to my wife’s cousin’s address in Shenzhen when it was ready, rather than Zhimei having to return to Changning. We went shopping for a computer table and chair and a water heater for the children, we went to the apartment again, to find Yi Ting and three of her pink-coated school friends huddled on the floor doing their homework under a table lamp. We ate duck for the evening meal. My wife decided that the children would stay with us in the hotel, much to the chagrin of her father, who called her a ‘disobedient daughter’ , I found out later. The kids loved the hotel, especially Peng Fei, who enjoyed himself playing games on the computer.
On the 24th, it was Zhimei’s father’s birthday, so we bought him a watch and ordered him a cake. I think he was in a bit of a mood from the previous day, so we didn’t stay long at the apartment. The weather was turning from mild dry weather to cold drizzle, but there wasn’t enough rain to wash the red dust from the streets. In the evening, Zhimei and I went to a coffee shop and watched the street for the children returning home from school. Strange as it may seem, but in the 18 months of knowing her, she has never spoken about her mother, and this despite a few attempts to ask her about her. But, as we sat there drinking coffee, she told me that when she was born, she was very ill. Her mother had not been able to cope, and sent her to her aunt, who brought her up for the first 5 years of her life. She said her aunt was very kind and saved her life. When she was 5, she returned to her parents. Her mother died 8 years ago. Zhimei did not see her very much towards the end. I had originally said I would like to see her birthplace, a village nearby, but now I said I did not need to go. She did not want to go back, and she said that it would not be good if her father’s relatives saw me. He has 9 brothers and sisters, many of whom still live in the village. Three of them have 5 children and they would all expect a large handout if they saw a western man with my wife. But mostly, she did not want to be reminded of an unhappy time in her life. When the kids arrived, I made a little breakthrough with Peng Fei. He wrote, ‘Play magic’ on my electronic translator and handed it to me with a shy smile. I said I didn’t do magic, but I knew some card games, and proceeded to teach him a few simple card games using my trusty pack. He and I had a great time. We spent another night in the hotel with the kids – very nice.
On Christmas Day, we had breakfast in the hotel. As we were eating, we looked out of the window, almost simultaneously. Thick flakes of snow were transforming the dirty red street with a beautiful white carpet. Magical. White Christmas in Changning. Peng Fei and I had a snowball fight in the car park. We watched a few Christmas movies in the hotel room. I helped Peng Fei with his English homework. I had a lot of fun with Yi Ting, giving her piggy-back rides and her teaching me how to write so9me Chinese words.
The next day, we took lots of ‘Moddy’s’ (motor bike taxis) into town and back.It is an experience, 3 on a bike in Chinese traffic. We helped Peng Fei set up a bank account in his name, for him to have a monthly allowance for him and his sister. We had a last meal together with her father in a restaurant. He ordered his favourite, dog. I thought it was duck, the way my wife said it, but, no, it was dog. Whoops.
On the 27th, Zhimei and I took a bus to Changsha and checked in at the Mellow Orange hotel again. The hospital still couldn’t help us. For the next few days, we just enjoyed each other’s company walking around Changsha and looking at the fascinating markets.
On New Year’s Eve, we received the news that Zhimei’s father and children were on a bus to Changsha. The children had the weekend off from school, and her father wanted to fulfil his long-cherished dream of visiting Mao’s birthplace in Shaoshan. They had a few hairy moments on the way, when her father went to the toilet and didn’t return, when Peng Fei was in the line to buy tickets at Hengyang station, but he eventually reappeared. They eventually arrived in Changsha at about 11pm, and we found a restaurant that was open late. My wife went to order the food with the kids. I was left alone with her father. He said ‘cesuo’ and I was proud to show him where the toilets were (long experience of drinking Chinese beer, which goes through me like water, has given me an intimate knowledge of the location of all the toilets in Changsha, haha.) He was suitably impressed. Then we found out that the restaurant was out of rice?!!!. When dad returned, I told him, ‘mei you fan’, and he was amazed that I could speak Chinese, and he actually understood me. He ordered some alcoholic drink which looked like wine, but tasted like meths mixed with vinegar. We shared a toast and he looked almost happy.
On New Year’s day, all five of us crammed into a taxi (the cheapest option) and took a very bumpy two-hour journey across Hunan countryside to Shaoshan. The weather was freezing, with a biting wind to match. We joined a queue to look at the farmhouse where Mao was born, his bedroom, the small dining room where many important meetings were held. Her father and I walked through the rooms, sometimes exchanging a smile. He refused to have his photo taken, but enjoyed the visit. Apparently, my wife’s brothers have been sending him money for years to make trips abroad, to Australia and the States, but they have been too busy with work to accompany him, so he has never actually gone. This time, he was able to visit somewhere he had wanted to go for a long time. We shared some stinky tofu from a street seller (apparently Mao’s favourite dish) and walked around the museum. It was all in Chinese, so I didn’t really understand much. I just looked at the pictures, including some rather Jesus-like portraits. But my wife diligently read the words to her father and he pointed at the portraits and asked who the people were. Stupid me then realized that her father was not only illiterate, but had sacrificed a lot to make sure that his daughter was well-educated. Now I knew why she had advised me not to communicate with him using the electronic translator. Later I asked her if he enjoyed the trip. She said he was happy. The trip home was fun. I think in order to avoid a 10rmb toll, the taxi driver took a country route. We stopped 4 or 5 times, either because of a road accident, or because the road was blocked with a pile of rubble, or because the road just stopped. Yi Ting was sick about 3 times, and I got a real picture of the Hunan countryside.
We had a final meal in Changsha together, and Zhimei and the kids accompanied me to the station for me to catch the 23.54 overnight train to Shenzhen.
So, here I am at home in Hong Kong, warmer than Changsha, but missing my wife and new family. Hopefully, her next 90 day visa will come on about the 10th January. Happy New Year everyone. This Chinese New Year has been the year of the tiger, my wife’s sign. This year will be the year of the rabbit, my sign. I hope it is a lucky year for everyone.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:35 am »
A terrific read Philip , thanks  for all the illuminating descriptions , I have been on an all day bus tour to the birthplace of Mao along with a number of other area's that he frequented , I was told at the time just how many people per week visited this area , and it was mind blowing way over the hundred thousand , now if everyone of them would spend 1 yuan with me I could afford Willy's lifestyle ha ha , but it showed just how revered he is , and yes Changsha is great with its old and new , loved the shopping and the river cruises and also the museum and Martyr's park beside , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline shaun

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 08:06:24 am »
Great read Phillip.  I always look forward to your updates.

Offline halfpint

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 01:15:37 pm »
Philip, Great story, thanks for sharing.  Alan
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 03:11:46 pm »
wow, a great read about a great and successful trip.  I understand about the in law not understanding you, Xia's mother does not speak or understand any English and I have very limited Chinese, I usually stop at Ni hao ma? and wo hen hao, ni? before I embarrass myself.  She calls me Jay Ce (my adopted Chinese name, which I quite like) and Xia usually translates for me.  But she seems impressed when I try to talk to her in Chinese.  She also has a little statue of Mao in the home and every time Xia sees it she says Chairman Mao, I guess after all this time people still are in awe of him and he died in 1976 and Xia was born in 1975.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Arnold

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 04:14:52 pm »
Phillip , appreciate your detailed and very nice Time with your Wife - Wife's Family . Happy New Year ( Rabbit ) , now I know your Hopping like a Rabit out of Joy .
haha .. so are we .

Offline Philip

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 08:49:34 pm »
Here are a couple of photos from my recent China trip. One is with my new little family on Christmas day, having breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The other is on New Year's Day, standing outside the farmhouse where Mao was born.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 08:53:48 pm »
Thanks for the update Philip, since I always like pictures - I hope that your wife has finally rejoined you with a newly intact visa.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 11:09:27 pm »
Wow great pictures Phillip but boy it does look so cold there.  I agree I hope your wife received her visa on the 10/1.  I am looking forward to my trip in February, besides getting married we are going to go around China for our honeymoon.  I can feel a trip to ZARA or some other clothes shop coming on to get some winter clothes when I get there.  In Sydney in winter we have about 5 days of 0 degrees only and that is usually only overnight so I do not have anything very warm to wear.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.