Author Topic: Children and Nationality  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Philip

Children and Nationality
« on: October 10, 2010, 01:43:37 am »
My wife and I hope to try for a baby. I am looking into the child's nationality if he/she were born in Hong Kong. I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, but I like to be prepared. And this presupposes they will let her in to have the baby. (Apparently, Chinese mothers can get turned away if they look more than 7 months pregnant - a problem considering my wife can only come here 90 days at a time). The more I read, the more confused I get. I am a British citizen with UK passport, living and working in Hong Kong on a 2 year contract, with a working visa. My wife is a Chinese citizen - she doesn't have a passport yet, but will apply for one in January.
Does anyone know what our future child's nationality would be if he/she were born in Hong Kong? British, because of my nationality? Hong Kong beacuse of place of birth? Dual nationality? Chinese? Of course, China does not recognize dual nationality, but I just want to be clear about what the options are.

Offline maxx

Re: Children and Nationality
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 01:56:14 am »
I don't know how it works for the British.But for the Americans all you have to do.Is go to the consulate and apply for a foreign born birth certificate.You would probably have to fill out a bunch of paperwork.And have a DNA test ran on you and the baby. that you are applying for the birth certificate for.From what I have read and heard before.It doesn't sound to complicated or expensive.And I heard that the consulate moves pretty fast on these.

Offline mustfocus

Re: Children and Nationality
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 05:48:06 am »
Hi Philip, the baby might also be considered a british born abroad (I forget the exact term).   I know there was something about that a last year or in 2008...

Here's a link that may help... http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/bornabroad/

梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen