Author Topic: End of the road  (Read 179364 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: End of the road
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2012, 07:42:35 am »
But your just not getting my point Maxx.

So I will leave it that.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Philip

« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:56 pm »
In England, the tabloid press has coined a phrase, which they sometimes use in their headlines - "Have a go hero". It refers to someone who intervenes when something threatens them, their property or the life of someone else, sometimes a stranger. The people get into the papers for one of two reasons: 1. they were able to appehend the perpetrator, make a citizens arrest and bring him to justice or 2. they got fatally stabbed by the criminal and got sent home in a body bag.
This is not the Wild West, let alone the Wild East, but this kind of incident makes me think twice in England, where I have the benefit of understanding the language and culture, so shouldn't it make me think at least twice when I am in a different culture? Different culture, different customs.
In a Hollywood movie, the crowd of Chinese people might burst into spontaneous applause as the brave foreigner squares up to the rude Chinese person, pushing his way onto the train. "Thank you sir", they would say. "Even though I was in this busy crowd, I saw everything you did, and I completely understand the English words you were shouting at that man. You and your wife were obviously the aggrieved party. You put into words everything that we, with our ingrained inability to stand up to bad manners were unable to say".
When I listen to my wife, she has some sage advice about what it is sensible to do in Chinese cities. It varies from city to city. Shenzhen is different from Guangzhou, from Changsha, from Zhongshan, from her home town. I follow her advice. Sometimes I make a point of putting rubbish in a rubbish bin. Sometimes I make a point of giving my wife a seat on a bus, even though she doesn't want it. In both cases, I am making a point to her, not to anyone else. I'm no hero.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2012, 08:47:13 pm »
I got a lecture from Fiona about what I did. I of course, was her hero and protector but she told me how dangerous it was. So I will try to restrain myself if the future when it comes to simple rudeness. However, I pity the man that touches pushes or yells in my wife's face.  Its wired into my DNA.

Change of topic.  The washing machine is working.!  Apparently there is poor wiring on the patio. There is enough juice to run the wash cycle but when the motor goes into high speed the power cuts out. I fed the cord through the window to a different outlet and it is now working fine.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline maxx

« Reply #273 on: January 20, 2012, 01:30:34 am »
Willy why leave it at that.You didn't answer the questions.They guy and his wife and the taxi driver.They didn't go looking for this trouble.It was thrust upon them.The U.K guy he was just checking out the monastery.He didn't ask The Rude Indian girl to step on his feet.What would you do.If somebody was going to hit your wife? Are you going to let the guy hit your wife.Then try to make it up to her when you guys get home.Or do you tell her that she deserves it for being a woman?

If your a pacifist Willy. I respect that.It takes a brave man to stand there and watch.While somebody is verbally abusing his wife.Or physically abusing his wife.It is not for me.Where the hell is David E.I'm trying to think of a Famous quote but I can't remember it.And I'm real sure he would recognise it.It goes something like all it takes is a few good people doing the right thing to change the world.And it takes those same good people to do nothing to make the world a sadder place.

Phillip yes I do realize that this is not the wild west.And different customs and culture do exist.And this is not a hollywood movie.This is real life in China.I have seen Chinese guys and girls go at it.Because somebody had bad manners.Sometimes it is just a pushing match.Sometimes there just throwing words.Most of the ones I've seen these people have resorted to blows.So I'm thinking that some Chinese do think about manners.and they will remind there fellow country men to remember them.

I'm in no way suggesting that anybody jump in between 2 Chinese going at it.Or screaming at the desk clerk at your hotel because you think your room isn't right.What I'm suggesting is that you do show some manners.Don't do like some Chinese and some Indians do.Get up give the lady your seat on the bus.Hold the door for the lady.Say excuse me when you run into somebody.Good manners are contages.

Phillip I do live in the wild west.where manners are expected.Because you never  know which one of these gun toting physco.Is going to slip a gear and open up on a store full of people.,I used to have a couple of these gun toting physco work for me.The strange thing about these guys is.They had a bible in one hand.And a pistol strapped to there hip.I guess you could say there ying and yang was all screwed up.You know good verses evil.

Gerry glad to here you figured out the problem with the washer.I had that happen to me one time.It took a 100.00 bill and 2 hours to fix the problem.

Offline maxx

« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2012, 01:49:59 am »
when I think of something like this.I remember the words of a great American president Theodore Roosevelt.He said walk softly.And carry a big stick.What it means in layman's terms.It means don't go out of your way looking for trouble.But if trouble comes your way.Be ready to deal with it.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2012, 03:32:28 am »

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:38:55 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2012, 05:29:20 am »
Ok...here is some help...

Edmund Burke's famous quote is what you may be looking for :

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
So much of the history of the struggle between good and evil can be explained by Edmund Burke's observation. Time and again those who profess to be good seem to clearly outnumber those who are evil, yet those who are evil seem to prevail far too often. Seldom is it the numbers that determine the outcome, but whether those who claim to be good men are willing to stand up and fight for what they know to be right. There are numerous examples of this sad and awful scenario being played out over and over again

If this is not the one...let me know  ;D ;D ;D

I've sorta kept out of this debate, I got close to the wind in "that other Thread" and I dont want to push my luck much further...the Mods have got their beady eye on me I'm sure... ;D ;D ;D

Also, I (as usual) have my own way of deciding where the line is, especially when I visit China !!...If it is just bad manners...I walk away. If it is gross contempt for the person on the receiving end (usually me or my wife)..then stand back, I will let rip. If it gets physical...luckily this has not happened...then I would go all the way !!! I had a number of ocasions to get involved with Chinese Men who have total contempt for women and these guys got short shrift from me....as they would in any other Country, including Perth !!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:46:13 am by David E »

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2012, 05:32:47 am »
Or maybe you can use the famous quote from Pythagorous...although it was in a slightly different context:

"Give me a big enough lever ...and I will move the World" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2012, 07:00:12 am »
I had trouble last time while on train in Beijing with the 'conductor' I know I'm small in stature, but if it had not been for Sophie, I was ready to punch the conductors lights out!!!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline Pineau

• Board Moderator
    • Youtube
« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2012, 07:22:49 am »
I'm sorry to cause such an uproar. Obviously some strong opinions here.   Being far away from home probably has something to do with my current attitude toward Chinese men. Just the experience of being here where attitudes and behavior is so different from my own makes me irritable.

Rude is quite different from abusive. For me it is not a racial thing or cultural thing. I would feel the same way if someone in my home town gets abusive to my wife.  I would react accordingly if it be in Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Dallas Texas or Sidney.     I'm done...

Did I mention the washing machine is working now?
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.

Offline maxx

« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2012, 07:47:40 am »
David yes thank you It was the quote from Edmund Burke.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:51:17 am by maxx »

Vince G

« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2012, 09:46:10 am »

As for the Carry a big stick, I don't give these problems a thought. I will be myself and do what is needed at the time. I know what I will do, I did it recently right here. Some man started beating a young girl pushed her to the ground and got on top of her. Got my shoes on and grabbed the bat and ran outside. He was walking away at that point. Turned out it was the girls father? I reported it anyway.

Change of topic.  The washing machine is working.!  Apparently there is poor wiring on the patio. There is enough juice to run the wash cycle but when the motor goes into high speed the power cuts out. I fed the cord through the window to a different outlet and it is now working fine.

I had two circumstances like this on Miami Beach. One was a wheel chair lift and another a dumb waiter. Both ran somewhat but not perform correctly? (relays were not kicking in). Turned out both were ordered with relays for 220v but unknown to me (at the time) Miami beach only has 208v service so the relays would not work.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 09:53:19 am by Vince G »

Offline shaun

« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2012, 11:22:23 am »
Gerry, you washing machine was broke???     ;D ;D ;D   Glad it is fixed.

Sometimes a little controversy gets this site going again.  I think David has the right idea, when it is getting to you back off.  I really don't think anyone has crossed a line yet though it has got a little heated at times.   But I think we all talk to each other respectfully.    Isn't that what the most recent posts have been about on this thread?  Martin only commented once about getting close to the line.  That isn't bad.

I have enjoyed the posts on this and the other thread.  :D

Offline Pineau

• Board Moderator
    • Youtube
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2012, 10:22:31 pm »
It is the end of the year. Time to reflect on the events of the previous year and then let them go. Time to put away the struggles and disappointments and step into the future. Hopeful that the new year will bring new beginnings,  new memories and challenges. 

It is almost Chinese new year. The garden is unusually quiet now. What is normally a constant noise is growing silent as the mass exodus is nearly complete. Most everyone that in not born here has gone home to be with family for the next two weeks. For the past week new roosters have been crowing at 6am every morning. I have heard their final sounds as each has been prepared for dinner. There are only two remaining and I am sure they will be served for dinner by weeks end.

Offline Pineau

• Board Moderator
    • Youtube
« Reply #284 on: January 24, 2012, 11:15:54 pm »
well, finnaly after another 60 day delay the uscis has a response to my inquiry.

The status of this service request is:

The required background checks for this case remain pending. We will render a decision as soon as the background checks are complete. If you do not receive a decision within 180 days of this inquiry, please contact csc-

Still doing background checks after 10 months??. To me it sounds like an excuse for being buried in paperwork.