Author Topic: UK Certificate of No Impediment  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
UK Certificate of No Impediment
« on: May 25, 2009, 03:26:54 pm »
I am due to collect my single certificate soon (Certificate of No Impediment)  I have never been married before.  I am in London.

My question: - is the stautory declaration that has to be sworn with a notary, only for Divorce or death certificates or will I need one for the Single certificate as well.  I know I will be required to have the single certificate legalised at the Foreign Office in Milton Keynes.
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline UK Mark

RE: UK Certificate of No Impediment
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 03:57:02 pm »
Been looking on the net and it appears that whatever your status widowed / divorced / always been single you will need the statutory declaration.

heres a link for a little more information on it , hope it helps

http://www.mynanning.net/gettingmarriedinchina

UKM
Dreams can come true

Martin

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 10:19:51 pm »
I agree with UK Mark...no matter what your status, you will have to have it sworn.  Even though you have always been single, they want you to prove it under oath.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 02:09:11 pm »
Thanks guys.

It only cost £5.oo to get it sworn so I might as well do it just to be sure.

Willy the Londoner
Willy The Lpndoner

• Board Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:23:40 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='3876' dateline='1243361351'

Thanks guys.

Willy the Londoner

You guys were right I did need to get it sworn but the cost of swearing with a notary was £50 and not the fiver a normal solicitor charges.  Still my lady is worth every penny.
Willy the Londoner
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Ed W

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:09:50 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='5863' dateline='1245248620'

Thanks guys.

Willy the Londoner

You guys were right I did need to get it sworn but the cost of swearing with a notary was £50 and not the fiver a normal solicitor charges.  Still my lady is worth every penny.
Willy the Londoner

Good Luck Willy! Whens the trip?
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 03:27:36 am »
Quote from: 'Ed Watson' pid='5864' dateline='1245251390'

Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='5863' dateline='1245248620'

Thanks guys.

Willy the Londoner

Willy the Londoner

Good Luck Willy! Whens the trip?

Just 9 days to go :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: Hence the big smiles!!!
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline ssetho

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 09:51:58 pm »
Hey Willy, I lived in London too. I am going to Wuhan to marry my girlfriend in September whom I met at mychinalove.net instead of Chnlove. According to you, it seems like I need the single declaration letter (sworned with Notary) plus the Certificate of No Impediment. Am I right? Also, how long did it took you to get the Certificate of No Impediment from the local registrar? According to China embassy's website, it seems like they will require the Certificate of No Impediment for legalising the papers. And are you getting the document translations done in China? According to my girlfriend, she said I could get it done over there. Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:01:08 pm by ssetho »

David5o

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 11:02:17 am »
Does any of you Brits, know what documents are needed for a Chinese woman to marry in the UK,
to a UK citizen. I ask because a friend of mine is thinking of doing just that, in the near future. I've told him to look at the official website. But just wondered if any of you lot know first hand....

It's a little more difficult, and not quite as straight forward as it first seems. She is full Chinese, was born in the Philippines,  lived there all her life, has a Chinese passport ( issued in Manila )

Any information you can help him with, i will pass on immediately.....  Thanks!!

I think personally, that he's best bet is to contact the powers that be, and actually talk with someone there to get the full SP....  

David.......

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 01:25:51 am »
Quote from: 'ssetho' pid='7366' dateline='1246758718'

Hey Willy, I lived in London too. I am going to Wuhan to marry my girlfriend in September whom I met at mychinalove.net instead of Chnlove. According to you, it seems like I need the single declaration letter (sworned with Notary) plus the Certificate of No Impediment. Am I right? Also, how long did it took you to get the Certificate of No Impediment from the local registrar? According to China embassy's website, it seems like they will require the Certificate of No Impediment for legalising the papers. And are you getting the document translations done in China? According to my girlfriend, she said I could get it done over there. Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Hi Mate  Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you but when I moved from the hotel to my own apartment I lost internet for a week or more.

No sure what part of London you are in but I was in haringey.  I went to ther registrar gave my details and my girlfriends details - ie address in china profession etc and they posted it on the notice board for 21 days.  On day 22 I went to collect it.
Whilst I was waiting for this to take place I went to a Notary and swore out a declaration that I had no impediment to marrying.

After collecting certificate of No Impediment (the chinese call it single certificate) I then went with it with my Notorised item to Milton Keynes where I went to the Foreign Office legalisation dept.  They did this within 20 minutes.  But do not be tempted to walk from the station to that building it is a long way and it is set back behind other buildings.

I then arrived in China and I am going to have my translation done in the morning.

I was able top open a bank account with the bank of china in about ten minutes flat.  Draw out cash from your card and pay it into the bank.  I got the highest possible rate compared to the stupid rate offered at Heathrow.  Thief row is still my name for that place.   Your money is protected and you do not have to worry about carrying large sums with you.  The small branch I went to has exchange facilites if you wanted to change your own cash up.   They also have a ticket system so no pushing in - take a ticket and wait.

I will let you know about what happens tomorrow and on the day of the marriage.
Willy
Willy The Lpndoner