Author Topic: A strange thing Happened.  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
A strange thing Happened.
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:15:17 pm »
Ok Here is what happened. I have been a litle relaxed with my security lately, the other day I saw all of my external drives and my compter the drives were just working nonstop.
I got suspecious and pulled the plug on the external drives. and within a few minutes my computer was in hell so to speak.
I was able to do only basic tasks. And getting on to the internet was not one of them.
I shut the computer down and took a few minutes to think.  Well I started by plugging the external drives into another computer and ran every type of diagnostic and virus scan I have. And Nothing, they all checked out fine. and I left them there for a couple days and nothing happened so I am thinking they are just fine. Most likely the were being searched by something.

Next I did a quick backup sent all of the backup to a couple extra large memory sticks I have So all of the data could be scanned before I put it back in the new setup. No sense in rebuilding just to put the problem back in again. I tried everything I know I could not find the problem. All virus scans came up clean. And they were all up to date. 

Now here is what happened next was kind of strange but might be good to remember.  I reinstalled Windows from the HP restore that came with the computer, I hate those things, but have decided I really like the windows 7 home premium so had no other choice.
It worked like a charm. I went through got rid of all the trash they give you with those.
I put in a few pieces of software I really like and then proceeded to start doing all he updates.

And after it was all finished my Computer was completly updated in Chinese.  And then I went to download and install the lastest version of Skype. Only Chinese. Now this was wierd. All I can figure is since I have an IP in China these companies assume I am Chinese.
So I did I all again. This time no internet connection during installation. and the first thing after it was finished. I put in the Proxy software. and did all the updates and things through the proxy server.
And it all updated and installed as if I were sitting in California.
 So it could have all been a fluke but I thought I would tell it to everyone, just in case it should happen to them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 11:18:31 pm by Jimmy »
Jimmy Henson

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: A strange thing Happened.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:08:21 am »
I noticed that at times my comp was going very slow.  I know security is getting tight during run up to Asian Games so maybe they are checking us foreigners out.

I have had problem logging on for a couple of days and getting to my emails.  So now I leave my proxy server on all day and that seems to have cleared it for now.  Well at least until they find a way in.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:17:56 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

Remember that you are jacking into the very Matrix of malicious codesource when you are online in China. This specific event may have been anything from one of Windows many undocumented "features" that do as it pleases now and then to a general bug or something malicious in the form of a trojan or similar threat that scanning your disks for sensitive information (cached passwords, accounts, certificates etc).  It may also have been windows own index service being ran automatically etc.

If you are "unlucky" and get hit by a so called drive-by injection or a brand new piece of malicious code in the wild, then there is no Virus or Malware scanner that will react at all. The people who writes these malicious bits of codes are extremely skilled, and by that i mean if they just had their skills on graduation papers they could just as well work for Nasa or National Security or StockExchange security. They would also probably represent the most skilled in their position then.

The majority of all these threats have their source of origin in China, Russia and Ukraine. By the time infections have spread over to most western nations the threats have been detected partially or completely in most cases. Thats why being hit by something completely transparent is more unlikely outside the Matrix core  ;D. For someone like me this is a "fun" place to jack in and just analyze the flow (same way a bacteriologist will stand in a pool of hes own drool staring down the microscope and exploring a new bacteroid galaxy or similar). Its difficult to give a user directions how to get bulletproof because there is no such thing. But keeping backups of whats important and using a good security product (as good as it can get) will mean alot more security if disaster strikes then having none. That and the obvious "dont click suspicious links in emails or from unknown people in Chat programs etc..). Not letting your browser save the passwords prevents someone from stealing them as easily but to most people it means great degradation of usability etc.

Theres too much info around this and to most it will become as logical as Quantphysics. If anyone need advice or help feel free to pm me. They say a picture says more then thousand words. So take a look at the pic below, and you should understand the elevated threat level in China compared to back home.

You can see the current Worldmap Threat and infection rate below  ;)

[attachimg=1]
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

JamesMarvin

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:14:56 pm »
HI guys,

Just read this and if you really want to be safe change to Linux. I've used Linux since 1998 and never had a problem, I repeat "never".  Just for fun I put XP on an old laptop and let the a friend's little girl play with it. After two hours of her on the 'net, I had to reinstall everything.  I don't see why you all put up with that crap.

JIM