Author Topic: Where is everyone? (Google Maps)  (Read 7268 times)

Offline David S

Where is everyone? (Google Maps)
« on: November 09, 2010, 11:07:18 pm »
I was wondering if there were a way, maybe by postal code/zip code, that we could use google maps, use the location information to put a map with "stick pins" to show the location of each member, to get a sense of where the brotherhood is?

Anyone have any ideas?

{UPDATE}

Ok, I found out how to use google maps.  Only people who have the link below can go to the map.  That's google's idea of "private"

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101816022464544463287.000494abe849befd0dcdd&ll=31.052934,23.554688&spn=113.774805,90&z=2

As each person adds their info here I will add it to the map.  I can also add your profile photo to the map, or if you have another photo that you wish added instead send a link to that image and I will add that.  This is a very flexible and customizable program it seems, so I'm excited to do this.

There is an option for other color pins also.  So maybe blue pins will be brotherhood members.  I can also add photos, and locations of interesting places.  There are icons for bars, restaurants, fast food, and many other things. So this could turn into an interesting map.

So if there is a restaurant or special place you want us to know about let me know and I will add it to the map.

David

{/END OF UPDATE}
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:57:37 am by David S »

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
Re: Where is everyone? (Google Maps)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:37:09 pm »
Easy........

Me, Perth, Western Australia, Post code 6155, address 41, Welbeck Road, Canningvale

David

Offline David S

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 12:35:24 am »
You two are just a snowballs throw from each other?

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 01:22:11 am »
We are at 42 Allanfield Crescent , Boronia , Victoria ,Australia , thanks David .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline JamesM.Roberts

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:25:23 am »
Thanks David S. -  My zip code is 61607
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:22:24 am by JamesM.Roberts »
Anyone can pick up an apple off the ground, but the sweeter ones take a little work to get to!!

Offline Kiwi303

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 03:26:45 am »
My zipcode/address covers a LARGE area seeing as I'm rural, but if that takes lat/long co-ords I'm close enough to S41 42' 05"  E172 37' 45"  as to be a practical address :P run that through google earth and we're the only house for miles.

Offline David S

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:41:57 am »
I think I got the right house. I hope I didn't put you in the barn.  8)

My zipcode/address covers a LARGE area seeing as I'm rural, but if that takes lat/long co-ords I'm close enough to S41 42' 05"  E172 37' 45"  as to be a practical address :P run that through google earth and we're the only house for miles.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:45:42 am by David S »

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 05:24:14 am »
5/100 Wattle Ave Carramar New South Wales Australia 2163.

Just a quick one, how do we update details? When the Dragon comes here we are buying a bigger cave for her somewhere else, so details will change later.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 05:49:50 am »
Is it not dangerous putting home addresses on here for anyone in the world to see?

Just by following your exploits via your postings you are leaving yourself wide open to thieves and scams of all kinds.

They know all about your ladies or wives so why not give them social security numbers, bank account details will you are at it?

I would suggest that this thread is removed. 

It is a good idea in principal but the bad boys will have a field day with the info you provide.

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline David S

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:15 am »

Just a quick one, how do we update details? When the Dragon comes here we are buying a bigger cave for her somewhere else, so details will change later.

Just let me know what old address to delete and what the new address is.  I should be able to find the old address rather easily, but just to keep from adding any confusion it would be helpful.

Offline David S

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 06:09:06 am »
Is it not dangerous putting home addresses on here for anyone in the world to see?

Just by following your exploits via your postings you are leaving yourself wide open to thieves and scams of all kinds.

They know all about your ladies or wives so why not give them social security numbers, bank account details will you are at it?

I would suggest that this thread is removed. 

It is a good idea in principal but the bad boys will have a field day with the info you provide.

Willy

I understand what you are saying.  I don't think the bank accounts and SSN's would be a good thing.  In reality it's not much more information then is published in a telephone book, actually there are no phone numbers posted. So it's less info.  If you choose to remain "unlisted" I respect that.  In one sense you could say that in many of the threads that a lot more information has been shared.

Perhaps instead of removing it it could be changed to only those registered members can see it?

I know when I go on business trips, or vacations I have a good friend keep an eye on my place.

An aspect of this that has not come up yet is that I could also post locations of favorite eating places, sites to see, and even official offices when it comes time to apply for visas etc.  I would hope that anyone who chooses to participate would consider what information they would like to share and make an adult informed decision on their own.

Paul Todd

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 06:17:56 am »
Willy,
You do have a point. Back in the day the "scallies" as we used to call them in Liverpool would use this info to break into your house! when you where on a trip to China ??? !! Arr I miss the old place sometimes :'(....I believe it still happens to the Liverpool football team when they are at away games  :( must be Everton supports  :P.......Maybe position pins would be good, but no addresses. I will stick to saying my wife and I are in Baoding Herbei Province China.
Just to preempt the Liverpool jokes....What do you call someone from Liverpool in a 3 piece suit.....The accused :-\ or a Scouse in a 3 bed roomed house... A robber..... ::) or even a Scouse married and living in China.....Luckiest man alive!!!.... I think it's a fine idea...Didn't we try this sometime in the past or am I imagining it?

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 06:57:34 am »
Guys,

I agree with Willy and Paul (especially if your account name is the same as your real name).  If you post your address here then post that you're in China, you're risking getting broken into.  If all you want to do is state a city (or even a neighbourhood), that's one thing, but if you get more specific than that, you're just asking for trouble.

When posting something like this, think about it this way... If you're sitting on a crowded bus, would you give your friend your new address over the cell phone and tell them that you'll be away for the next two weeks? (sounds kinda elaborate but it's a description)... you don't know who is listening...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Vince G

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 08:35:14 am »
And that is why I only gave my city and zip code.

We had a map before? I think it may have been the old (format) forum.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:36:55 am by Vince G »

Offline ron

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 10:22:51 am »
I am presently in Austintown Ohio 44515 moving to Spring Hill Florida  34608 in December     Ron