Author Topic: Peking Opera  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Peking Opera
« on: December 15, 2010, 07:07:28 am »
How can I remove Peking Opera from my head.  I persuaded my father in law, who is a widower, to come down country to stay with us for the winter months of December/January as it will be warmer here than in Hunan.

He is 86 and the TV is on all day and he watches Chinese Opera. Morning till night. If it is not a performance it is a School of Peking Opera that is on every day as well.

Hell I am getting to hum the tunes but have no idea of the words.

I have three options.  Jump of the balcony, (I am 6 floors up),throw him off the balcony or just buy myself a bigger pair of ear phones. To block out the sound. 

Any suggestion legal or illegal will be welcomed.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
Re: Peking Opera
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:58:21 am »
Willy , buy him a Peking duck , or turn off the elecricity , or put some Beetles on rather loud ha ha , regards Sujuan and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline joeswuhandream

• the good life with a good wife
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 08:20:08 am »
don't you just love family life   willy ha-ha 
and to think about it your were doing your father in law a favour in protecting him from the cold  and have him stay with you
 now be a good boy willy  ha-ha ;D

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:48:13 pm »
Willy

Why dont you buy HIM a set of headphones and plug them into the TV...then only he will be driven mad by the noise ??

But be reasonable....if you think about "wine, women and song"...what's left for us when we are 86 years old.....!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:04:28 pm by David E »

Offline shaun

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:55:05 pm »
Willy, put the television in the freezer and invite him to watch it there.  :o Maybe he will begin to long for home.  ;)

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:11:37 pm »
Thanks Shuan.

From what I see the men performing it are already frozen solid.  They stand very still their face and mouth look rigid and only their eyes move as they sing the words.   Did i say sing the words?  They seem to force the sound out through clenched teeth at a high pitched level - that I could only reach by having my 'privates squeezed'.

And David he has the songs and he definately has that strong rice 'wine'  breakfast, lunch and dinner.  He also go out an hour or so a day so maybe still partaking all three!!!!

Willy

Bloody hell it is cold here this morning - temp must be down to 15 or 16 degrees. I have had to close the balcony door and shut the windows.

Willy The Lpndoner

Offline shaun

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:27 pm »
Willy,

I don't know why except that I need time away from all of this internet and webcaming with Peggy everyday so I agreed to sing in a choir, something I haven't done in about 16 years.  We are performing Handel's Messiah.  Tenor part.  I can understand, "They seem to force the sound out through clenched teeth at a high pitched level - that I could only reach by having my 'privates squeezed'."

That work gets very high and loud and I am not the tenor I used to be.  I swear that the squeezing is what some of these old geezers are doing to themselves to sing that high.  I think it is much more fulfilling to sit behind 6 strings and croak out a ballad.

Back in the day I would sing in operas but you couldn't tie me down good enough to listen to one.  I can well imagine the torture you are going through. 

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:02:41 am »
BaBa was taken to hospital this morning with a broken arm.   No he was not reaching to turn on Chinese opera on the TV and a swift kung fu kick from me did not come into brief contact with his left arm.   (Honest guv. would I do anything like that)

He decided to get into the shower without his shower slippers on, and down he went.

Lucky there was a houseful at that time as I might have had difficulties in explaining it. 

My wife and her niece have gone of to the hospital, grasping a wad of 100 rmb notes (nothing comes free here) to pay for any treatment he may need. 

But the worst part is I am missing Chinese opera now!

Willy

Willy The Lpndoner

Arnold

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 04:55:09 pm »
Now .. now Willy , tell us where you were hidding Baba's Shower Slippers ? How come one Bar of Soap is missing also ?

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:27:57 am »
Just one other point BaBa's accident has brought to mind. 

His fall has now cost a little over 5000 rmb in doctor and hospital fees to date  that is about 500 gb pounds or 750 us dollars.  No free medicine or medical treatment here.

I asked the Doctor how much it would cost me as a foreigner for the same treatment for a broken arm.  His reply was at least 5 times more maybe a a lot more but never less.  So those travelling for a few weeks at a time then make sure you have travel insurance.

They have high kerbs here and vehicles that prefer driving on footways rather than roads.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner