Author Topic: Merry Christmas----圣诞快乐  (Read 1776 times)

Etonlan

Merry Christmas----圣诞快乐
« on: December 24, 2010, 01:58:42 am »
Christmas is a Christian holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. No one knows the exact date of Christ's birth, but most Christians observe Christmas on December 25. On this day, many go to church, where they take part in special religious services. During the Christmas season, they also exchange gifts and decorate their homes with holly, mistletoe, and Christmas trees. The word Christmas comes from Cristes maesse, an early English phrase that means Mass of Christ. The story of Christmas comes chiefly from the Gospels of Saint Luke and Saint Matthew in the New Testament.

On the night before Christmas, all across the world, millions of children will be tucked in their beds while "visions of sugarplums dance in their heads." When they awake they will check their stockings to see if Santa Claus has come.

Santa Claus has become the most beloved of Christmas symbols and traditions. The image of the jolly old elf flying in a sleigh pulled by reindeers and leaving toys and gifts for every child is know worldwide.

A beautifully decorated evergreen tree, with colored lights ablaze inspires in many warm memories of Christmases long past. The Christmas tree has become one of the most beloved and well know holiday symbols.

Jesus Christ 耶稣基督    observe 庆祝

Christmas Stockings and Christmas Cards 圣诞袜和圣诞卡

Merry Christmas! 圣诞快乐!

Santa Claus 圣诞老人

Learn Chinese onlinewith MasterChinese, getting a free trial lesson.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
Re: Merry Christmas----圣诞快乐
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 05:04:16 pm »
Just a small "correction" to your Advert for a Chinese language course.......

Mistletoe has nothing to do with Christian Christmas traditions.

Mistletoe came from the Druid religion which was prevalent in England and Europe right back into the Stone-Age.

Mistletoe was the sacred plant that grew on the sacred Oak tree and was harvested with a gold sickle during pagan festivals.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:59:16 pm »
Well ... when it comes to mistletoe - if it gives me the chance to taste the sweet lips of a beautiful lady I won't complain about the ritual's origin.

So I agree to disagree with you David

Mistletoe is a Kissmas tradition in my books  :-*
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:01:27 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Vince G

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:33:49 pm »
So this is how you sneak in the web site for learning chinese online? No clicky for profit here.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 05:31:52 pm »
Rhonald

Loved your poem....thanks

And I am not complaining that mistletoe has given us a permit to kiss any woman at Christmas without fear of a Sexual Harrassment Suit....maybe you could get a swift kick in the "you-know-whats"........but hey, thats a small price to pay  ;D ;D

To round out and probably finish this debate...here is the real mistletoe story......

At the time of the Winter Solstice, it was the responsibility of the Druid Priests way back about 3000 years BCE, to communicate with the Spirit of the sacred Oak Tree (Nemer) and discover for the people, what sort of a year they would have coming up..

The Priests chose a candidate from their community...usually some young hottie and she was prepared for sacrifice by placing a "crown" of mistletoe on her head, that the Druid Priest had cut from Nemer with a sacred gold sickle....(note the allegory of the crown of thorns in the Christian dogma)

The victim was then drugged with a mixture of poppy seeds and henbane and placed face down on the Altar stone.

The priest severed her spine at the shoulders with a sacred gold axe, and in watching the various trembles, shakes, jerks and twitches as she died, was able to interpret them as signs portending to the coming year.........

And you'd want to kiss under the mistletoe ???????

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 10:09:26 pm »
A crown of mistletoe was also used when the kings married their queens, this also include the whole of the united kingdom...

Cannot say for sure when it was stopped...

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 11:22:16 pm »
Ha , there is still a lot of Queens in the United Kingdom , Happy nude Year .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info