Author Topic: Enabling Chinese Script in Windows XP  (Read 1652 times)

Offline mustfocus

Enabling Chinese Script in Windows XP
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »
I've created a document that shows you how to see and type chinese characters (using pinyin) if you have Windows XP.  It's pretty straight forward... hope it helps!  :D
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline David S

Re: Enabling Chinese Script in Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 01:28:30 am »
I use VISTA ( >:() on my lap top.  The system was very similar.  Takes some getting used to.  When I type a "d" as in "da" (大) for the first character in "da wei" (David) it pops up the symbols with numbers.  So you can type in shorthand.  "d1" will select the "1" character.  As you are typing the pinyin it will suggest characters as soon as it has some information, if you don't see the one you want just keep typing.  Once the correct one appears on the screen just hit the number that is next to the character.  I am sure that in time it will become second nature to type the right keystrokes.  Nothing like learning to type all over again; not to mention brushing up on my pinyin. 

Thanks for the "tutorial"  I hope many find it useful as I am sure I will.

Good Job!!  ;)

Offline mustfocus

Re: Enabling Chinese Script in Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 07:20:17 am »
Thanks!  I'd have one for Vista/Win7 as well, but I haven't had time to set it up yet (will be installing Win 7 on my laptop later today)...and I'll try to come up with one then...it shouldn't be too different from what I have so far...

梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen