Author Topic: Things to do and see in Chengdu and Mianyang  (Read 2890 times)

Offline zook144

Things to do and see in Chengdu and Mianyang
« on: January 09, 2011, 12:52:11 am »
In 2 weeks I will be leaving for Chengdu and Mianyang. This will be my 3rd trip to China, but have never been to either of these cities.  I will be in Chengdu a couple of days each end of my trip as that is where I am flying into and leaving from. The majority of my trip will be in Mianyang. My lady keeps asking what I want to see while there and I keep telling her it is up to her. But she continues to ask, so I thought I would get some suggestions from the brothers here.  So, for those of you who have been in that area, can you help me out?

Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
Re: Things to do and see in Chengdu and Mianyang
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:11:20 am »
Don

Must see in Chengdu is the Panda Breeding Station...it is a very large and modern facility devoted entirely to the Panda. A lot to see and very interesting.

Many of the "Old Towns" surrounding Chengdu date back thousands of years when Chengdu was the Western Gateway into China. If you like ancient history, they are all fascinating.

There is also an archeological site where they excavated over 10,000 years of history, going back beyond the Stone Age. All the excavations have been "glassed over" and you can walk on them and look below. Several on-site museums display many , many artifacts in bone, jade, Gold and Silver...I cant remember it's name, but I will ask Ming tonight.

There is a huge market that has hundreds of small traders displaying antiques for sale. Many of them are fake, but some good bargains to be had.

And dont forget to have a genuine Sichuan hot-pot........the most fiery and tasty dish of all !!

Go to a tea house in a local Park by the river and pass a few relaxing hours and do some people watching !!!...with endless cups of delicious tea. The Mahjong crowd will have you in stiches with their antics...usually older people who dont work, they play all day for tiny money and have a riotous time and there are music groups who get together there just to practise tunes and singing......very beautiful, and peaceful even though it is in the heart of a busy City.

Cant help you with Mianyang...never been there !!

Offline auburnkp

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:36:22 pm »
My wife is from Chengdu. I have been there five times already. David E. gave great suggestions. The Giant Pandas is a must see. There is also the Giant Buddha in Leshan (about 2 hours by car). You can get a foot massage, it is very cheap and very relaxing after a long day walking around. Finally, the Sichuan Opera is nice. It is neat seeing them do the face mask changing.
AuburnKP

Offline zook144

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:29:27 pm »
Thanks David E and aubrunkp.  It is a help.

Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Jan

• QQ 1507672319
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:54 am »
Can anyone get the Panda breeding stations name in Chinese? I've tried to explain that I want to go there haha... But she does not know that place.

I am going to be spending time at Chengdu/Leshan/Emeishan this summer. Depending what she decides is the best. And how her studies/work fits with everything.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:37:53 am »
Jan

四川省成都市成华区外北三环熊猫大道1375号

Address: Futou Shan, Northern Suberb, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, 610051
The center is located about 7 miles (11km) north of downtown Chengdu.

成都大熊猫繁育研究基地)

Hope this helps