Author Topic: Tourist Visa? Invitation Letter?  (Read 7576 times)

Wonwill

Tourist Visa? Invitation Letter?
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:47:09 pm »
Hey there!  I've been looking around here for a few days and just registered yesterday, so I feel kind of bad starting off with my first post being a question and whatnot, but I'm trying to get this whole visa thing squared away before I run out of time.  :-\ So here's my question and I hope someone can help me haha

Do I need a letter of invitation for a tourist visa?

I want to visit my girlfriend in July and I'm planning on staying with her and her family while I'm there.  I've read several times that if you're going to visit a friend you need the invitation letter to get the visa.  I want to use one of those visa agency sites to help me get it, but none of them mention anything about the letter or that they need it included... so I'm kind of left in the "unknow" about it... and I want to get things done right the first time around because I'll leaving at the end of February to study abroad in South Korea and so I might not have a second time around to get it done.  I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone here could put me into the "know" on this!  ;D  and I do planned on becoming more involved here than just asking a question... haha  :-*

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Re: Tourist Visa? Invitation Letter?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:11:15 pm »
No need, just select the tourism box for reason of visit, and welcome to the forum!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline shaun

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:48:56 pm »
Yes, welcome to the forum.  I have been to China twice and never had a written formal invatation.  I didn't register with the police either.  I stayed a couple of nights in a town so small that they whole village came by to see me.  I asked Peggy's sister if I should register and she said they already knew.  I asked if the town was really that small and her sister said yes.

JOHN1964

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:04:34 pm »
Hi WonWill, I have been here twice now and agree with Irishman, just select tourists box and dont worry about any hassles, All will be fne

Offline halfpint

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:47 pm »
Ditto, I went to China for the 1st time in November, I didn't need an invitation letter. 
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

Arnold

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 10:50:27 pm »
Well Guy's , for the Visa .. one does NOT need a Invitation Letter > But to go and see your Lady .. you'll need one from HER !!!  :D :D

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 11:44:28 pm »
If you are going to be in China for a short time and staying with her family then there will be no requirement to register with the police.   

Since I came her in June 2009 I have been visited at home, unannounced, by the police in two different cities and both were within a short time of moving to new apartments. I get the feeling that professional 'watchers' are the norm here.

Go to a hotel and they register you with the police, that is if the hotel is licensed to take in foreigners as not all are.

But if you do get a pull they will only tell you to go and register as soon as possible.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 01:08:57 am »
I often wondered about the invitation letter requirement - Robert is probably right, I couldn't imagine any other reason to need one.

I'll probably end up having to register with the police this trip, since I'll be staying at my girlfriend's home. 

Willy, I've read that it's important to always carry your passport with you.  Since you live in China now, do you still have to carry yours? 
...as irresistible as chocolate

JOHN1964

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 03:02:07 am »
Neil, I was told to keep my passport locked away in a safe place but always take a photocopy of all relevant pages with you at all times including any visas,
regards, MinYing and John.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 03:13:28 am »
Never carry my passport.  It is locked in my safe.  I always carry my temporary residents permit.   Never my passport.

Just a point on my earlier post. about ten minutes ago had a visit by the police checking on residents. Showed them by temp residence permit and not asked for passport.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Paul Todd

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:27:53 am »
This is from the offical Chinese government web site Q and A page. The law of the land states.......... 

Q:When does an overseas visitor in China have to register accommodation?

A:An overseas visitor shall register accommodation within 24 hours of his or her arrival in China compliance with the regulation .

Q:How should an overseas visitor go through the procedure of accommodation registration,if he or she stays at a hotel?

A:When an overseas visitor checks in at a hotel competent to lodge overseas visitors,he or she completes the procedure of accommodation registration automatically .

Q:How should he or she register accommodation,if an overseas visitor lodges at the house of a local resident or an organization?

A:For an overseas visitor lodging at the house of a local resident or an organization,he or she shall register accommodation at the police station or community office that has jurisdiction over the area concerned.

Q:How  will an overseas visitor be punished if he or she fails to register accommodation as required?

A:In accordance with the provisions of the Rules for Implementation of the Law of the People’s Republic of China on the Control of the Exit and Entry of Foreigners, an overseas visitor shall be given a warning or fined 50-500 yuan if he or she fails to register accommodation as required .

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 06:13:19 am »
No letter needed for the 3 trips I have made so far, no letter needed the next one either.  But Xia did say if I turn up without all the papers required to get married and for us to put in her permanent residency visa application I can just go home again and get them.

A letter of invitation IS required from me to accompany Xia's application for her tourist visa.  I will put an amended copy into the Aussie Visa Requirements section.  Of course if our application is not successful use this at your own peril.  But it is very similar to one used by my friend and his GF got her visa approved.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Wonwill

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 08:27:03 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, I didn't expect so much!  ;D  It seems that it's easier than I expected.  And rest assured Arnold, I have been invited by her haha  :P

Offline halfpint

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:53 pm »
When I stayed at my girlfriends apartment we walked to the local police station and registered myself, bring your passport and visa with you.  It was easy, in and out in 10 minutes.  I never carried my passport, I did have a copy of it on me sometimes (when I remembered).
My qin ai de is in Shanghai, and I'm not

Arnold

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:09 am »
  I never carried my passport, I did have a copy of it on me sometimes (when I remembered).

I also locked my Passport in the Hotel Safe and only carried a Copy of both the Passport ( info page ) and of the Visa . This safed my A** ones , NOT in China .. but here in California . When I took my Wife to San Diego and wanted to show her TJ from the US side , when I missed the last Exit on the US side and had no way to turn-around . So we found ourselves in Mexico , turned around there and then ... guess what ? Qing was ok with her Green Card , but I had NO passport with me . After back and forth between the Agent and myself .. I remembered that I still had my Copies in my Wallet . Thanks God for that . Otherwise Qing was allowed to go back Home and I had to stay in good ole Mexico for some time .. proof to them I live in Calif. and being a Citizen . Talk about sweating it . Not for myself , but my Sweetheart .