Author Topic: Entertaining video about getting scammed in Beijing  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
Entertaining video about getting scammed in Beijing
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:25:35 pm »
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/10/08/random-episode-6-how-kevin-rose-and-glenn-mcelhose-got-scammed-in-china-ha/#more-2256

It is 20 minutes long and starts a bit slow but gives good advice on what to look out for.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Vince G

Re: Entertaining video about getting scammed in Beijing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:15:45 am »
Any of us that has been on here long enough know about this scam. Who was it that it happen to? One of the members here?

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 02:46:28 am »
I had heard about the scam as well from or own web site. I thought it was good to share because of how easily fooled the 2 guys were. Tim Ferris, the 3rd guy is a lot more street savvy and he has some good advise about international travel anywhere, not just only China. Also the guys do have some video footage of the girls that pretended to be art students.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Mikael_Shim

• | IT Security Analyst & Consultant | CHiNA |
  • QQ (1494158153)
    • Access any website or service from Within China. 100% anonymously
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 05:31:42 am »
Funny watch indeed. Not sure how common this would really be though. I have seen none of its like here in Beijing and i have seen no sign of the famous tea ladies either and i move around quite alot by my own here. No doubt it does exist though.
"Just call me Mikkie , thats what all Asians do anyway"

对于世界而言,你是一个人;但是对于某个人,你是他的整个世界

Offline auburnkp

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:22:33 am »
I remember going on a tour in Beijing to the Great Wall and I was talking to some other Americans on the bus about some art they had bought. It was the same scam as in the video. These tourists were older folks and when I heard it, I told them they were scammed. They didn't believe me and wanted to believe that some painting teacher painted their pictures. They were telling me there was so-so art from students and the good ones from the teacher. Obviously the teacher ones were more expensive. The video is very good to watch so that you yourself are educated. I am sure many of our members have not encountered this, but it is a good lesson for everyone. Just be cautious when some cute looking young girl or girls walk up to you and want to practice their English!
AuburnKP

Offline Jan

• QQ 1507672319
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 08:12:42 am »
The lesson at the end of the video is great. Which many people don't understand. Use Credit Card, not Debit Card. When travelling.

But it was funny / interesting video to see. And I've read about the scams. But I probably would not notice a scam like this... I'm too stupid and believe in people...

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 04:54:02 am »
I just watched that video and a few minutes into it I started grinning then busted out laughing. Guess what. I was there. same shop, same scam. I bought about $150 worth of "student" art.

Gosh. ::)
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE