Author Topic: Why can't I hear them?  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Iceland

Why can't I hear them?
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:44:47 am »
Dear great giants of computer issues and webcam problems that swarm this forum and know just about everything there is to know.

I bought a webcam. It works perfectly except for one tiny thing.

I can't hear others. I can see them clearly, but not hear them.

They can however hear me clearly and see me clearly.

There is nothing wrong with my speakers or headphones. I can hear everything else, all sounds of the chat and music on Youtube etc.

It's only their voice through the webcam I can't hear.

I have gone through all all the controls and the software that came with the cam, which is Logitech 160 and I can't see nothing wrong

I have searched for my problem on the Internet but haven't found anyone with the same problem.

I am sure the solution to this is simple and obvious ... when I discover it.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong or give me a good hint to the solution?

As always, I will buy the one that helps me the most a brand new Ferrari.

Bergur Isleifsson
Iceland
QQ Id: 1504962919

Offline Iceland

Re: Why can't I hear them?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 05:57:00 am »
By the way, I have a PC and Windows 7.

Offline maxx

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 06:15:50 am »
sometimes qq skype msn voice you get the picture but no sound.Other days you will get the sound but no picture.try it again on another day.If that doesn't work.Dump the instillation pack.And then reload it.Sometimes that fixes the problem.Before you get rid of the installation packages look on line and see if there isn't .A upgrade for your web camera

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 07:58:07 am »
Sometimes other programs will interfere.  Do you have any other webcamp enabled programs running?  MSN, Yahoo messenger, maybe some goofy program that came with your webcam software? 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 08:28:55 am »
Hi Iceland, welcome to the forums (well, from me anyway).

You didn't list how many people you have tested this webcam with as well as what program you are using.  But to hazard a guess,

1) Check the volume setting in the program(s) you're using...
2) They don't have a microphone built into their webcam... not all people have microphones connected to their computers, depending on what they're using...
3) Perhaps they have a setting they need to fix on their end...it could be anything from the sound control in windows to the chat program you're using to chat with them (on their end)
4) If they're using a headset, perhaps they have the mute turned on (some headsets have a button to mute the microphone separate from the software)

It is most likely not something on your side (as you said, you can hear everything), but without more information, it's hard to narrow this down.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:49:31 am »
Try going into the options of the program that is giving you difficulty.  Make sure that your speakers, or sound card are being pointed to.  Some programs will just throw in a default setting there, that will not work wih your machine...you need to manually point it in the right direction.  On occasion, this happens with my web camera as well.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:48:46 pm »
When you are connected to QQ, do you see the on-screen panel that shows Audio strength for both people ??...one strength bar for Speaker (you) and one strength bar for Microphone (her)

There is a tick box on it for "audio enable"...try ticking and unticking this box a couple of times. I have had this problem on and off several times on QQ.

Usually a couple of cycles fixes it.

David

ps...could you make that an Aston Martin DB9 Vantage in royal purple with bone leather interior  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:56:52 pm by David E »

Offline Iceland

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 01:37:20 am »
Thanks for the help. Seems to me the source of the problem was of the unknown kind. Just some "glitch" as some of you suggested. After just doing this and that a few times over, it suddenly clicked. All is fine now.

One Aston Martin coming up. I will fax it out along with the Ferraris later today.